Data only service providers for cell phones

Have a great idea? We'd love to hear it! Want to share the story of how Fongo is saving you money? This is the place to do it!

Data only service providers for cell phones

Postby nelsonduarte@live.ca » 03/24/2016

I live in Canada and currently with Bell. Is there any Canadian mobile service providers that will will allow data only plans on a mobile phone instead of a tablet.
nelsonduarte@live.ca
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: Grandstream
Firmware Version: 1.0.5.2
ISP Name: Teksavvy
Computer OS: WINDOWS 7
Router: WRT310n

Re: Data only service providers for cell phones

Postby mh1983 » 03/24/2016

I suspect you want to do away with cell minutes and want to use WiFi/data for Fongo?

I do this. I've used prepaid add ons with Telus and Virgin to get data only (just 100 mb, mind, but I'm 90% on WiFi). Just buy the add on and nothing else; no need to have a plan. I can't speak to contract plans, but on prepaid it's been easy to set up.
mh1983
Lightly Seasoned

SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT-701
Firmware Version: 1.0.10.3
ISP Name: Teksavvy Cable
Computer OS: Windows 10 64 bit
Router: Linksys WRT N600 on DD-WRT
Smartphone Model: BlackBerry Q10

Postby bridonca » 03/24/2016

Tablet plans are data plans, just that the the telcos go through great pains to try to convince you otherwise. Best course of action is to go to a telco kiosk and ask for a tablet plan, and be coy about the device you will be using. Find another kiosk agent if the one you are dealing with will not play ball. Once activated, you can use any device you want, as long as it is carrier compatible, and/or unlocked.

Currently, til the end of the month, Fido sells a tablet plan for $15 for 1GB, $25 for 3GB, $35 for 5GB, and $10 a GB overage after that. There is a pretty good thread on it here http://forums.redflagdeals.com/fido-1-g ... e-1918361/

If you need to stick with Bell, you can get 1GB for $20

If you go with Telus, make sure you pick the right APN setting, because you will get raped in charges if you use the default Telus APN. I see no value to go with Telus, but it is a heads up.
bridonca
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Postby nelsonduarte@live.ca » 03/24/2016

Thank you thats what I was looking for
nelsonduarte@live.ca
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: Grandstream
Firmware Version: 1.0.5.2
ISP Name: Teksavvy
Computer OS: WINDOWS 7
Router: WRT310n

Postby bylo » 04/22/2016

bridonca wrote:Currently, til the end of the month, Fido sells a tablet plan for $15 for 1GB, $25 for 3GB, $35 for 5GB, and $10 a GB overage after that. There is a pretty good thread on it here http://forums.redflagdeals.com/fido-1-g ... e-1918361/

This offer has been extended. There's no longer an expiry date for it on Fido's site so it's not clear if this is time-limited or not. There's also a follow-on thread: Thread: [Fido] Flex data $15 1gb, $25 3gb, $35 5GB (special extended for limited time)
Google Nexus 5 on Fido 1GB-$15/month Flex Data plan
bylo
Active Poster

Smartphone Model: Google Nexus 5
Android Version: 6.0

Return to Suggestions & Feedback