service down or just me :)?

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo

Re: service down or just me :)?

Postby Jake » 02/19/2016

lifeisfun wrote:
Thanks for reply, using voip.freephoneline.ca and this morning again not working

Register Failed: No Response From Server (server=208.65.240.44:5060; retry in 18s)(UAP:5060)

I would check how often your ATA is trying to register. If they get requests earlier than every 3600 seconds your account will become blocked, and the more you try and register when it is the more it will get blocked.

You have there that it is going to retry in 18s, now it could be that this is the last 18s in the 3600s time, but I would double check as this is quite a common problem.

Switching to a different server will temporarily fix this problem, but only until it blocks you on that server, by which time the block may have been lifted on the first server which is why it might work again. (does that make sense).

If I were you, I would check all my timers, change to voip2. temporarily and see if it stays stable. If it does think about going back to the main server (voip.) or stay on voip2.

**edit
I just saw your other post and see it is going to retry in 4s, I would definitely check your timers.
Last edited by Jake on 02/19/2016, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added additional comment
Jake
Technical Support

Postby Liptonbrisk » 02/19/2016

lifeisfun wrote:

Thanks for reply, using voip.freephoneline.ca and this morning again not working

I mentioned doing more than that before.

"In ITSP Profile>>SIP, RegistrationPeriod needs to be 3600.
RegisterRetryInterval should be 120 (.pdf guide is wrong for this setting)
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16090. "

I also mentioned sending in a ticket to ensure your account hasn't been suspended for abuse.
You can troubleshoot all you want, but if your FPL account is suspended there's no point.

Anyway, I see two possibilities:

a. temporary IP ban due to registration and retry intervals not being set properly
b. SIP registration issue due to improperly functioning SIP ALG in modem or router. Steps 1, 2, 3a., and 4 are attempts to address this.

Again, you may, additionally, be dealing with FPL account suspension due to using sip.fongo.com before, except I would expect to see something other than "No Response From Server" for this situation, unless
attempting to register with a suspended account automatically forces an IP ban.

1. Are you using a Nettis 4422 modem?
Select the Internet Tab from http://www.carrytel.ca/support.aspx
Q : DSL - My VoIP phone does not work with Netis 4422 modem.
A : Please download the newest Netis firmware at http://www.carrytel.ca/download/netis1228.zip. Unzip the netis1228.zip file and update the firmware file netis1228.img for your modem. The new firmware has been tested and working with most of Voip phone providers

2. Stick whatever modem you have in bridge mode. If you don't know how, contact your ISP.

3. download/file.php?id=1688
Double check your settings,but
Voice Services>>SP Service>>
a. X_UserAgentPort---> change to 52552

SIP Credentials>>
b. AuthUserName
login at https://www.freephoneline.ca/showSipSettings to verify

c. AuthPassword

Service Providers>>ITSP Profile >>
d. RegistrationPeriod needs to be 3600
e. RegisterExpires needs to be 3600
f. RegisterRetryInterval needs to be 120

Make sure these settings are correct, and especially do 3a. Double check to make sure your settings stick.
3b and c are not the reasons for a lack of a server response, unless registration is failing and you've got a registration retry interval set to something lower than 120s.
Too many registration attempts within a short period will result in a temporary IP ban.

4. Login to your router.
Navigate to Advanced Setting>>WAN>>NAT Passthrough
Disable SIP Passthrough

5. Reboot modem, router, and ATA. Make sure your router is fully up before rebooting the ATA.

If you're dealing with an temporary IP ban due to registration and register retry intervals being too short, you're going to need to unplug your ATA for a bit, after fixing those settings. I don't know how long for sure. Maybe try an 1 hr. Or you could try switching to voip2.freephoneline.ca for the proxyserver
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Postby lifeisfun » 02/19/2016

Liptonbrisk wrote:
lifeisfun wrote:

I mentioned doing more than that before.

"In ITSP Profile>>SIP, RegistrationPeriod needs to be 3600.
RegisterRetryInterval should be 120 (.pdf guide is wrong for this setting)
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16090. "

I also mentioned sending in a ticket to ensure your account hasn't been suspended for abuse.
You can troubleshoot all you want, but if your FPL account is suspended there's no point.

Anyway, I see two possibilities:

a. temporary IP ban due to registration and retry intervals not being set properly
b. SIP registration issue due to improperly functioning SIP ALG in modem or router. Steps 1, 2, 3a., and 4 are attempts to address this.

Again, you may, additionally, be dealing with FPL account suspension due to using sip.fongo.com before, except I would expect to see something other than "No Response From Server" for this situation, unless
attempting to register with a suspended account automatically forces an IP ban.

1. Are you using a Nettis 4422 modem?
Select the Internet Tab from http://www.carrytel.ca/support.aspx
Q : DSL - My VoIP phone does not work with Netis 4422 modem.
A : Please download the newest Netis firmware at http://www.carrytel.ca/download/netis1228.zip. Unzip the netis1228.zip file and update the firmware file netis1228.img for your modem. The new firmware has been tested and working with most of Voip phone providers

2. Stick whatever modem you have in bridge mode. If you don't know how, contact your ISP.

3. download/file.php?id=1688

SIP Credentials>>
b. AuthUserName

c. AuthPassword

Service Providers>>ITSP Profile >>
d. RegistrationPeriod needs to be 3600
e. RegisterExpires needs to be 3600
f. RegisterRetryInterval needs to be 120

Make sure these settings are correct, and especially do 3a. Double check to make sure your settings stick.
3b and c are not the reasons for a lack of a server response, unless registration is failing and you've got a registration retry interval set to something lower than 120s.
Too many registration attempts within a short period will result in a temporary IP ban.

4. Login to your router.
Navigate to Advanced Setting>>WAN>>NAT Passthrough
Disable SIP Passthrough

5. Reboot modem, router, and ATA. Make sure your router is fully up before rebooting the ATA.

If you're dealing with an temporary IP ban due to registration and register retry intervals being too short, you're going to need to unplug your ATA for a bit, after fixing those settings. I don't know how long for sure. Maybe try an 1 hr. Or you could try switching to voip2.freephoneline.ca for the proxyserver

Thank you very much for the extensive reply!
First I like to say that my set up was working without problems for years except I used Fongo servers ( I apologize, didn't know it's not permitted) Contacted support and I was told that my settings must be wrong.
The second I changed to voip2.freephoneline.ca it registered fine.
All my settings were as suggested

RegistrationPeriod needs to be 3600
RegisterExpires needs to be 3600
RegisterRetryInterval needs to be 120
except the RegisterRetryinterval, that was set to 30, now corrected.

I'm also confused about this
Can't find it anywhere

My router is Asus AC87U, SIP port and RTP forwarded to the oBi. If I disable SIP Passthrough it will not register :(

Thanks
lifeisfun
Quiet One

SIP Device Name: oBi200
ISP Name: Carrytel
Computer OS: w10
Router: Asus AC87U

Postby Liptonbrisk » 02/19/2016

lifeisfun wrote:
First I like to say that my set up was working without problems for years

You've been with Carry Telecom for years and using whatever modem it is you're using with them for years? Didn't they
just start operating last year? You've had the OBi200 for years (maybe, since it's been around for awhile)? And you'rve had the ASUS RT-AC87U, which was released last year?
The only thing here you could have been using for years is an OBi200.

What modem are you using? Go back and look at step 1 and 2 from my previous post, please. Make sure it's in bridge mode.

Regardless, FPL's required settings changed several years ago: http://support.freephoneline.ca/entries ... redentials
And if you didn't change with them (including not changing proxyserver), problems can happen.

The second I changed to voip2.freephoneline.ca it registered fine.

You may have a temporary IP ban against you on voip.freephoneline.ca from attempting too many registrations within a certain timeframe.
The limit is 10 registration requests per 5 minutes, and due to digest access authentication, each registration attempt uses 2 requests. In other words,
you can try to register 5 times within 5 minutes. After that, you're going to get an IP ban.

Also X_KeepAliveExpires is set to 20 , is this OK?

Yes, that's "Keep Alive Interval" from http://support.freephoneline.ca/entries ... redentials.
The Obitalk web portal, when using the preset Freephoneline configuration, has that value set to 15. 20 or 15 works.

except the RegisterRetryinterval, that was set to 30, now corrected.

I did mention that in my first reply to you.

My router is Asus AC87U, SIP port and RTP forwarded

Do not port forward. You're creating security holes for crackers to access.
Disable all port forwarding. Disable DMZ.

Should you encounter one way audio issues, check out http://forums.redflagdeals.com/newegg-o ... st25148667
That post seems useful.

If I disable SIP Passthrough it will not register

This setting, whether enabled or disabled, really shouldn't have an affect when using Freephoneline with Asus routers, provided, of course, you have whatever modem it is that you're using in bridge mode and running with the proper firmware. You can leave it enabled unless you encounter problems. This is your router's SIP ALG feature. In some routers, it can cause a lot of problems when that feature is enabled. https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/sip-alg
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Postby lifeisfun » 02/19/2016

Modem Bell HH2000 in bridge mode
Switched from Acanac to Carrytel but it was working for months even with the new provider
Thanks for the RFD link, I will update the oBi firmware and follow the guide as suggested.
Once again many thanks for the time you put in to those lengthy replies !
Have great evening :)
lifeisfun
Quiet One

SIP Device Name: oBi200
ISP Name: Carrytel
Computer OS: w10
Router: Asus AC87U

problem

Postby siyano » 03/13/2016

I have a problem with the program, now I seem to not be able to start it and even use it
few days ago I had no trouble
I start the program and nothing happen, just nothing, not even an error message and it doesn't show in the task manager
I tried reinstalling it with several computer restart and java re-install too
Nothing
siyano
Just Passing Thru

ISP Name: cable
Computer OS: windows 7

Re: problem

Postby Fongo Support » 03/13/2016

siyano wrote:I have a problem with the program, now I seem to not be able to start it and even use it
I start the program and nothing happen, just nothing, not even an error message and it doesn't show in the task manager
Nothing

Hi,

re->I tried reinstalling it with several computer restart and java re-install too

Looks like your PC cannot run desktop app any longer.

I am out of suggestions. Perhaps others can help here.

Thanks,
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Re: problem

Postby mh1983 » 03/14/2016

siyano wrote:I have a problem with the program, now I seem to not be able to start it and even use it
Nothing

Clear the Java cache under control panel (temporary internet files > settings > delete files. Tick all boxes)

If you try another uninstall/reinstall, first uninstall the program, reboot, and then reinstall.

That's all I can think of. Maybe try right clicking the program and select "run as administrator"?
mh1983
Lightly Seasoned

SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT-701
Firmware Version: 1.0.10.3
ISP Name: Teksavvy Cable
Computer OS: Windows 10 64 bit
Router: Linksys WRT N600 on DD-WRT
Smartphone Model: BlackBerry Q10

Voicemail Not working

Postby Ravensword » 03/15/2016

Voice mail seems to have stopped working. I have left myself a voice mail but I do not get the email, nor does it show up when I log in.. Also when I call out to a rogers mobile the call has no audio... just fine if I call a Bell mobile.

Anyone else have these issues?
Ravensword
One Hit Wonder

Re: Linksys PAP2T Setup Guide

Postby tx008l » 03/16/2016

I am a newbie as you can see, and I hope I am on the right forum/topic. I have a problem with my caller ID which I am pretty convinced has something to do with Freephoneline.ca than with my device(s).

One day I was trying to block my outgoing caller ID. So I dialed *67 and then the number. Unfortunately, since that day, my outgoing caller ID has not worked. I tried the following to no avail:
    -Dial *68. But nothing happened. In fact the phone wouldn't dial out until I dial *67 again
    -Dial *82. But nothing changed.
    -Rebooted my Linksys PAP2. Nothing changed
    -Reset my Linksys PAP2. Nothing changed.
    -Upgraded my PAP2 firmware. Nothing changed.
    -Out of desperation, I used an older Linksys PAP2 that was sitting in my office for years. I reconfigured it using the instructions on this forum and those provided by Freephoneline.ca. The problem did not go away.

The last point makes me suspicious that the problem is with the Freephoneline.ca side rather than my side. Oh, I also changed phone handsets from a Panasonic to a Phillips phone, but the problem did not go away.

Any ideas?

Tx
tx008l
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: PAP2-NA
Firmware Version: 3.1.23(LS)
ISP Name: Primus
Computer OS: Windows, Mac
Router: Cisco

Postby Fongo Support » 03/17/2016

tx008l wrote:I am a newbie as you can see, and I hope I am on the right forum/topic. I have a problem with my caller ID which I am pretty convinced has something to do with Freephoneline.ca than with my device(s).

One day I was trying to block my outgoing caller ID. So I dialed *67 and then the number. Unfortunately, since that day, my outgoing caller ID has not worked. I tried the following to no avail:
    -Dial *68. But nothing happened. In fact the phone wouldn't dial out until I dial *67 again
    -Out of desperation, I used an older Linksys PAP2 that was sitting in my office for years. I reconfigured it using the instructions on this forum and those provided by Freephoneline.ca. The problem did not go away.

The last point makes me suspicious that the problem is with the Freephoneline.ca side rather than my side. Oh, I also changed phone handsets from a Panasonic to a Phillips phone, but the problem did not go away.

Any ideas?

Tx

Hi,

re->The last point makes me suspicious that the problem is with the Freephoneline.ca side rather than my side.

We have no mechanism at the back end to block caller ID.

Have you tried Factory reset and reconfig of the ATA?

Regards,
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Postby tx008l » 03/17/2016

Fongo Support wrote:
tx008l wrote:I am a newbie as you can see, and I hope I am on the right forum/topic. I have a problem with my caller ID which I am pretty convinced has something to do with Freephoneline.ca than with my device(s).

Any ideas?

Tx

Hi,

re->The last point makes me suspicious that the problem is with the Freephoneline.ca side rather than my side.

We have no mechanism at the back end to block caller ID.

Have you tried Factory reset and reconfig of the ATA?

Regards,

Yes, I did do a factory reset on it and reconfigured. Still nothing has changed. This is very strange and frustrating.

For those who have used Wireshark, what should I look for in a VOIP packet to determine what is wrong with my outgoing caller ID?

Any other ideas are welcome.
tx008l
Just Passing Thru

Postby Fongo Support » 03/17/2016

Hi,

re->Yes, I did do a factory reset on it and reconfigured. Still nothing has changed. This is very strange and frustrating.

If you did factory reset it should have worked.

I am out of ideas. Perhaps Mango or Jake can jump in now.

Thanks,
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Postby Bing Kol » 03/18/2016

tx008l wrote:...

Yes, I did do a factory reset on it and reconfigured. Still nothing has changed. This is very strange and frustrating.

You did not mention if Display Name in Subscriber Info contains invalid characters.
Bing Kol
Active Poster

SIP Device Name: PAP2T
Firmware Version: 5.1.6 (LS)
ISP Name: CarryTel 25/10 DSL
Router: pfSense i5-3470

Postby tx008l » 03/19/2016

Oh dear. Thanx a million. That WAS the problem. I had changed my caller ID name to "Adam & Eve Johns", so I removed the "&" and it worked. Thank you to everyone who made the effort to help me.
tx008l
Just Passing Thru

Postby Fongo Support » 03/19/2016

tx008l wrote:Oh dear. Thanx a million. That WAS the problem. I had changed my caller ID name to "Adam & Eve Johns", so I removed the "&" and it worked. Thank you to everyone who made the effort to help me.

Hi,

That solves the issue.

I totally forgot about this:

http://support.freephoneline.ca/entries ... -supported

I will remember next time:)
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Linksys PAP2

Postby tx008l » 03/21/2016

Fongo Support wrote:
tx008l wrote:Oh dear. Thanx a million. That WAS the problem. I had changed my caller ID name to "Adam & Eve Johns", so I removed the "&" and it worked. Thank you to everyone who made the effort to help me.

Hi,

That solves the issue.

I totally forgot about this:

http://support.freephoneline.ca/entries ... -supported

I will remember next time:)

Thanx though.

If I may I ask another question: when I set the Sinusoid to 90 and frequency to 52, my phone has a weird ring. However, if I put it back to the default setting of a sinusoid at 70 and frequency 25, the ring is OK. My phone is a Panasonic KT something. Is there something that I am missing as well. I think this setting also affects my call waiting.
tx008l
Just Passing Thru

Dial Tone Not Available First Off-Hook

Postby blairfleming » 03/27/2016

Whenever we take the phone off hook (picked it up to make a call) the dial tone is not present. Hanging up and then picking up again results in a dial-tone and everything behaves as expected. We have also recently experienced that when the phone ring, we pick it up, no one is on the line. More interesting, the caller continues to hear the phone ringing.

Device: Linksys PAP2
Ports: ATA is in the DMZ
blairfleming
Just Passing Thru

Dial Tone on Pickup Absent

Postby blairfleming » 04/04/2016

Whenever we take the phone off hook (picked it up to make a call) the dial tone is not present. Hanging up and then picking up again results in a dial-tone and everything behaves as expected. We have also recently experienced that when the phone ring, we pick it up, no one is on the line, caller can hear us. Flashing the phone to the 'call waiting' and then back to the original call results in the audio functioning.

Device: Linksys PAP2
Ports: ATA is in the DMZ
blairfleming
Just Passing Thru

Can't connect to login server

Postby theflamme99 » 04/16/2016

Hi,
I have the same configuration for about 4 years, this morning I got the message "Can't connect to login server" in my PAP2 and no phone, any problem with the server?
Best regards,
Charles
theflamme99
Just Passing Thru

Re: Can't connect to login server

Postby Fongo Support » 04/16/2016

theflamme99 wrote:Hi,
I have the same configuration for about 4 years, this morning I got the message "Can't connect to login server" in my PAP2 and no phone, any problem with the server?
Best regards,
Charles

Hi,

All the servers are online.

To check the status:

http://status.fongo.com/

Please try this:

Please try to power off equipment- modem, router and ata for at least 20-30 minutes and connect again after 30 minutes starting with the modem.

Step #1. Unplug Internet Modem and Wireless router from Power for 30 minutes
Step#2. Unplug FPL device for 30 minutes
Step#3. After 30 minutes, Power back on Internet Modem
Step#4 Wait 5 minutes
Step#5 Power back on Wireless router
Step#6 Wait 5 minutes
Step#7 Power back on FPL device
Step #8 Wait 5 minutes

Try testing the line(s) after this- should be ok.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Postby theflamme99 » 04/16/2016

Hi,

I make everything you said in the last post but I still got the problem.
I configure my line 2 with my userid:pwd and it work. I checked the difference and it was my SIP PORT. Line 1=5060 and Line 2 = 5061.
I change my SIP PORT of the line 1 for 5061 and my line reconnect.

Why the port 5060 stop working, I was using this configuration for more than 4 years! Which port should I use for the SIP PORT?

Thanks for the status link, it will be helpfull.

Best regards,
theflamme99
Just Passing Thru

Postby Fongo Support » 04/16/2016

theflamme99 wrote:Hi,

I make everything you said in the last post but I still got the problem.
I configure my line 2 with my userid:pwd and it work. I checked the difference and it was my SIP PORT. Line 1=5060 and Line 2 = 5061.
I change my SIP PORT of the line 1 for 5061 and my line reconnect.

Why the port 5060 stop working, I was using this configuration for more than 4 years! Which port should I use for the SIP PORT?

Thanks for the status link, it will be helpfull.

Best regards,

Hi,

You should configure *exactly* as per below.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16294

If it doesn't work, you have an issue with your network- probably caused by DNS or static IP on your ATA.

Good luck!
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Monday 25 April Service - Freephoneline

Postby hanke » 04/25/2016

Good Morning...just made a call no problem about 930am. Wanted to make another call around 1000am and noticed the ATA is not registered now. Is there a problem with the voip.freephoneline.ca server or is it just on my end. Reset ATA and still no registiration.

UPDATE - I submitted a ticket which resulted in Support looking into my matter. They advised that their end was all good as well as the back end. This forced me to do a Factory Reset and reload all my settings and all is fine now. The ATA is again registered! It is unknown why or what caused this problem to arise but with the help of support I was able to take the appropriate steps to get things working again.

Thank you Support for you help.

Well the saga continued....alll worked..and then after a few calls..registration failed again. I ended up flashing the firmware back onto the SPA3102, reloaded all the required account and settings data and now we are up again. Hopefully its not the end of life for the ATA.
hanke
Lightly Seasoned

SIP Device Name: SPA3102
Firmware Version: 5.2.13(GW002)
ISP Name: Cogeco Cable
Router: DPC3848VM (Modem/Router)

Phone hangs up after 30 seconds

Postby jd_schneider » 04/25/2016

All was working fine. Then I ported my Magic Jack number to my Freephoneline. Now the phone hangs up after 30 seconds when I call out. This occurs on my SIP setup. However, I setup the applet on my Windows 7 machine and the same thing happens. I don't think this is a forum thing but I have no idea how to get someone at Freephoneline.ca to check this. BTW it works OK when I receive calls.

Just to let you know, I am on ADSL and my modem is a Speedstream 5200. Using an alternate SIP server did not work. However, I believe that I found the problem. I replaced my router (Linksys EA2700) with a D-Link DIR-655. The phone worked OK. I re-installed the EA2700. There is a setting under "Connectivity" called "Application Layer Gateway". The "SIP" box was checked. I unchecked it and the phone now works. The manual states that if VOIP is using SIP to check this box. If it is using NAT transversal solutions such as STUN, TURN or ICE to uncheck the box. I am still using the alternate SIP server. Also to note, I am sure everything was working OK with the previous setup and my old number last summer.

The issue is now solved.
jd_schneider
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT-502
Firmware Version: Program-- 1.0.1.57
ISP Name: Teksavvy
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: Linksys EA2700

PreviousNext

Return to Community Support