Almost Ready for Fongo, but...

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.
VelveetaNL
Just Passing Thru

Almost Ready for Fongo, but...

Post by VelveetaNL »

Hi Everyone,

Update (02/16/2017); Even though Fongo does not offer Newfoundland based phone numbers, could I port my Newfoundland cell number to Fongo, or is that not possible either?

I am getting ready to lower my cell plan and came across Fongo. It looks amazing, so much so I've decided to switch to a data only/tablet plan. Before I make the big switch though, I have a couple of questions. A lot of questions have been answered already in here which is awesome.

I have never used a phone service other than Bell or Rogers before and I'm a bit concerned of privacy of texts / calls and service reliability. Any information on that?

How is the Fongo service in Newfoundland? I live in the metro St. John's area. I have read older posts about some metro areas not being considered free such as parts of Paradise. Is this still the case?

Are there any issues that non-Fongo users may experience when calling / texting?

Thanks
VelveetaNL
bridonca
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Re: Almost Ready for Fongo, but...

Post by bridonca »

As Fongo has no Newfoundland based phone numbers, they are not able to port your number.

I would not worry too much about privacy when it comes to texts on any format. It is not that secure. If you are worried about security, get an app like whatsapp or signal, and get your other contacts to use either program.

If you are using an android phone, get a good one,like a LG G3 or better. The cruddier phones leave for an undesired VOIP experience.
VelveetaNL
Just Passing Thru

Post by VelveetaNL »

Thanks very much.

As all my contacts have nationwide calling and/or texting I have no issue with a non-Newfoundland number. Maybe some day if/when Fongo get numbers for Newfoundland i'll change, but I'm not too attached to my old number. My new Fongo one is easier to remember already.

I have an iPhone 5 and just signed up. Working great so far. I will primarily be using imessage as most of my contacts use Apple products, but for calling and SMS I am using Fongo so far and no problems and sound quality is very acceptable.

As I am constantly paying for hundreds of minutes I never use, Fongo seems to be a great alternative. I may opt to disconnect from cell service altogether, but will probably go with some sort of data plan just in case.

Thanks
bridonca
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Post by bridonca »

There is nothing stopping you from using these services already. Just download the app, and use it for wifi if you have to.

I currently have data only on my smart phones, and use VOIP services such as Fongo for my voice and text on those phones. Still keep a feature phone just in case, but that is because that voice only plan is too cheap to get rid off.
mh1983
Lightly Seasoned
SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT-701
Firmware Version: 1.0.10.3
ISP Name: Teksavvy Cable
Computer OS: Windows 10 64 bit
Router: Linksys WRT N600 on DD-WRT
Smartphone Model: BlackBerry Q10

Post by mh1983 »

Provided you make calls to the free calling areas (https://www.fongo.com/calling/free), you'd only be charged for any text package you purchase and of course your data plan.

Does Fongo really not offer any NL numbers? I knew they didn't port, but figured you could get a net-new St. John's number at least.

As Bridonca said, it's worth trying the app for free with whatever number and signing up. The key is that the traffic goes through VoIP (ie. internet b/w, so either WiFi or data), not cell towers that handle voice traffic. If you are on WiFi in, say, Italy, you could call any of the areas in the free location list for, you guessed it, free. :)

Good luck!
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

This should the the list of the numbers that Fongo/FPL can provide

https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/articles/212436806