Starting from Scratch, No phone, No cell provider

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.

Starting from Scratch, No phone, No cell provider

Postby TotalNoob » 04/27/2017

Hi, Can anyone give me some general advice on how to begin?

I do not have a cell phone (purchasing soon), and I do not have a cell phone provider, so no cell phone number to port. How do I get started? Do I need to already have a cell phone provider to start using Fongo, or will an old sim card from an old phone installed into a brand new phone work? I did have cell service years ago, but have not had the need for it in recent years.

Now I need to have cell phone service for calls and texting. I would use my wifi connection at home.

Thanks for any and all help.
TotalNoob
Just Passing Thru

Re: Starting from Scratch, No phone, No cell provider

Postby bridonca » 04/27/2017

You should get yourself a decent Android cell phone. This one here has a decent price performance ratio. http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/mot ... 15530.aspx?

You do not need to get a cell phone plan or activate any SIM card at first, wifi is good enough. When you register your phone with your gmail account, you can go to the Google play store, and download the Fongo app. With that app, you can get a phone number and make and receive calls from your wifi.
bridonca
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Postby TotalNoob » 04/27/2017

Thank you so much for your reply. If I want to do texting, is that free with the app or do I need to purchase something?
TotalNoob
Just Passing Thru

Postby bridonca » 04/28/2017

I believe it costs $10 for 6 months or thereabouts to send texts. Incoming texts are free
bridonca
Technical Support

Postby TotalNoob » 04/28/2017

Thanks for that info. I'll figure out how to order it once I get my phone. I've ordered one from amazon but it's not shipping until next month for some reason. Thanks again.
TotalNoob
Just Passing Thru

Postby bridonca » 04/30/2017

What did you get for a phone? Amazon has done weird stuff as of late, sometimes Amazon has nothing to do with the order at all, which is worrisome.
bridonca
Technical Support

Postby TotalNoob » 04/30/2017

I ordered a Blu Advance 5.5 HD. Reviews on it are good. For the price, I think it's a decent phone. The reason it
has not shipped yet is because I ordered something with it (an SD card) that is not currently in stock. They will ship the items together.
TotalNoob
Just Passing Thru

Postby TotalNoob » 05/02/2017

Well, I got my cell phone today (they sent it separately in the end), and I'm very happy with it. I got the app downloaded and chose a mobile number. Also purchased my Canada-wide texting plan, 6 months for $10. Very pleased with the Fongo service. Thanks to everyone for your help, you made it very easy for me.
TotalNoob
Just Passing Thru

Return to General Discussions