service down or just me :)?

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo

Re: no dial tone

Postby Badenoch » 08/30/2017

Hi

I changed my modem a few days ago. Now i have no dial tone.. All the green lights are solid on the ATA just like before but i cant get a dial tone no matter what i do. The phone goes straight to vm. My freephone line account says that the SIP status is disconnected? I tried to follow the forum and get the IP address from the phone which worked but when i enter it as a search online it says the page wont open so i cant access the settings for the ATA. I called the internet provider for the modem and they said there are no blockages on the forwarding ports and that there is no firewall.

What am i doing wrong? Please help! I never had issues with previous modem... We have no other phone so its been really hard and school for the kids starts next week and we dont have any other form of communication..

Than you in advance
Badenoch
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: free phoneline with ATA
ISP Name: Cable
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: Cisco DPC3848V

Re: no dial tone

Postby Liptonbrisk » 09/04/2017

Badenoch wrote:Hi

I changed my modem a few days ago. Now i have no dial tone.. All the green lights are solid on the ATA just like before but i cant get a dial tone no matter what i do. The phone goes straight to vm. My freephone line account says that the SIP status is disconnected? I tried to follow the forum and get the IP address from the phone which worked but when i enter it as a search online it says the page wont open so i cant access the settings for the ATA. I called the internet provider for the modem and they said there are no blockages on the forwarding ports and that there is no firewall.

What am i doing wrong? Please help! I never had issues with previous modem... We have no other phone so its been really hard and school for the kids starts next week and we dont have any other form of communication..

Than you in advance

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16294#p74877

I suggest reading the entirety of the dslreports thread I linked to and trying the suggestions listed. I would also suggest posting and asking there. If nothing works, it may be time to invest in a new ATA.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Re: service down or just me :)?

Postby farzinabbasi » 03/01/2018

My freelphone line voip has suddenly stopped working after a few years working. I use SPA112 telephone adapter and its setting was not changed when the problem occurred. There is no dial tone at all. I modified the setting after reading some of the previous recommendations but I do not still have dial tone. Anyone has any suggestion how to fix this problem? Also I called Fido and asked to disable SIP ALG. It did not resolve the problem too!
farzinabbasi
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: SPA112
Computer OS: Windows 10
Router: Hitron

Postby Liptonbrisk » 03/01/2018

farzinabbasi wrote:My freelphone line voip has suddenly stopped working after a few years working. I use SPA112 telephone adapter and its setting was not changed when the problem occurred.

Unfortunately, NAT associations between routers and ATAs can become corrupt without you doing anything.

Thanks to Mango, many of us now understand that in order for ATAs to remain registered and working properly with a VoIP SIP provider like Freephoneline, in particular after power failures, the following conditions must be met:

UDP Unreplied Timeout (in your router) < NAT Keep-alive Interval (in your ATA; for Obihai ATAs this is X_KeepAliveExpires) < UDP Assured Timeout (in your router) < SIP Registration Failure Retry Wait Time (or RegisterRetryInterval in Obihai ATAs)

“<“ means less than.

When a modem leases a new IP address, a problem can arise where prior associations using the old IP address are maintained in the router. When the ATA attempts to communicate using the old IP address, the response is unreplied, and then if the UDP Unreplied timeout is greater than the Keep Alive Interval (and UDP Unreplied timeout is often set to 30 by default in consumer routers) a problem arises where the corrupted connection persists. If UDP Unreplied timeout is, for example, 10, and the NAT Keep Alive Interval is 20, then the corrupted connection will timeout or close. A new connection will be created, and everything will work fine.

Another problem can occur when the Keep-Alive interval is greater than UDP Assured Timeout (often 180 by default in consumer routers): the NAT hole will close due to the ATA not communicating frequently enough with the SIP server. In turn, incoming calls may, intermittently, not reach the ATA. Again, NAT Keep-alive Interval is supposed to be 20 with FPL.

Getting access to both UDP Unreplied Timeout and UDP Assured Timeout settings in consumer routers may be difficult, if not impossible. Asuswrt-Merlin, third party firmware for Asus routers, does offer easy access to these two settings, which are found under General–>Tools-->Other settings. In part, for this reason, I tend to use Asus routers. However, my understanding is that third party Tomato firmware has these two settings as well. So if your router supports Tomato firmware, that may be another option. Note that I will not be held accountable any damage resulting from failed firmware updates.

The keep alive interval for FPL is 20. The SIP Registration Failure Retry Wait Time is 120. I use 10 for UDP Unreplied Timeout and 117 for UDP Assured Timeout.

There is no dial tone at all. I modified the setting after reading some of the previous recommendations but I do not still have dial tone. Anyone has any suggestion how to fix this problem? Also I called Fido and asked to disable SIP ALG. It did not resolve the problem too!

1) What does the registration status indicate in your ATA for FPL?

2) The following timers are important, and they should be set properly in your ATA.

From https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... redentials

a) Registration Interval:
3600 seconds (1 hour)

b) Registration Expiry:
3600 seconds (1 hour)

c)Failed Registration Re-Try Interval:
120 seconds

3) Visit http://forums.redflagdeals.com/anyone-h ... #p26234003
Follow the steps from 1 to 15 at the bottom of the post, slowly and carefully, step by step. The same settings should apply to your ATA.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby farzinabbasi » 03/02/2018

Registration status shows ‘Failed’. I have tried interval 120 but did not work. It is still disconnected.
farzinabbasi
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: SPA112
Computer OS: Windows 10
Router: Hitron

Postby Liptonbrisk » 03/02/2018

farzinabbasi wrote:Registration status shows ‘Failed’. I have tried interval 120 but did not work. It is still disconnected.

Visit http://forums.redflagdeals.com/anyone-h ... #p26234003 and follow the steps, step by step, at the bottom of the post (i to 15).
In particular, pay attention to steps 5,8, and 9. If step 5 works, a corrupted NAT connection developed between your router and ATA.

a) Step 5, is "In your SPA112, Navigate to Voice-->Line 1 (or whatever you're using for FPL)-->SIP settings, change SIP Port to a random number between 30000 and 60000."

If that works, you had a corrupted NAT association in your router.

b) If your ATA makes more than 5 registration attempts in 5 minutes, you may end up being temporarily IP banned by the specific FPL server the ATA was sending registration requests to. If you're temporarily IP banned, you could then try switching ProxyServer to a different FPL server than the one you were previously using (voip.freephoneline.ca, voip2.freephoneline.ca, or voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060), unless you need to use voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 because you have SIP ALG forced on in your router. The purpose of voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 is to circumvent SIP ALG features in routers.

c) Try disabling SIP ALG in your router. Refer ti your router manual. If your router was issued by your ISP, contact your ISP for instructions on how to disable SIP ALG.

d) You can also try rebooting your modem–>router (wait for it to be fully up and transmitting data)–>ATA (in that order).
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Password not valid and Unallocated (unassigned) number ERROR

Postby Shaf77 » 06/03/2018

I have been having some issues with FPL since yesterday morning.

I cannot make any outgoing calls. I get an error stating "that password is not valid".

FPL website call logs show and error of "Unallocated (unassigned) number"

My Obi ATA is registered and shows:

SP1 Service Status
Parameter Name Value
Status Registered (server=208.65.240.44:5060; expire in 3001s) help
PrimaryProxyServer 208.65.240.44:5060

Ougoing call not working.
Incoming all getting forwarded to my cell (as per follow me settings)

No changes at all from my end. It just stopped working yesterday.

What is going on?
Shaf77
Active Poster

SIP Device Name: SPA3102
Firmware Version: 5.1.10(GW)
ISP Name: Rogers
Computer OS: Windows 7

Re: Password not valid and Unallocated (unassigned) number E

Postby Liptonbrisk » 06/03/2018

Shaf77 wrote:I have been having some issues with FPL since yesterday morning.

I cannot make any outgoing calls. I get an error stating "that password is not valid".

That error usually means your AuthPassword or Authusername is wrong, but I see on another forum that you fixed your problem by switching ProxyServer, which is pretty strange.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

not been able to call or receive calls

Postby sotojewellerydesign » 06/26/2018

A voice message tells "this account is already in use" When trying to call What could be the problem? When calling the phone# message says "the number you are trying to reach is unavailable
sotojewellerydesign
One Hit Wonder

ISP Name: tecksavy DSL
Computer OS: windows7
Router: assus

Re: not been able to call or receive calls

Postby Liptonbrisk » 06/26/2018

sotojewellerydesign wrote:A voice message tells "this account is already in use" When trying to call What could be the problem?

Someone else could be using your account (you could be hacked); someone could be in the process of leaving you a voicemail when you're trying to call voicemail; or too many concurrent calls could already be in place (FPL allows for a maximum of 2 channels per account).

1) What brand and model ATA or IP Phone are you using?

2) What brand and model router are you using?

3) What does the registration status state for FPL in
A) your ATA or IP Phone?
B) after logging in at https://www.freephoneline.ca/showSipSettings?

C)If you don't recognize the SIP User Agent listed at https://www.freephoneline.ca/showSipSettings, someone else is using your SIP username and password.

Only one registration per FPL account is allowed at any time. When there are multiple devices/softphones using the same account, only the most recent registration is valid. The previous device will lose registration (despite the ATA's registration status). In other words people sharing their FPL accounts or otherwise trying to register their FPL accounts with smartphone SIP apps/desktop apps while simultaneously using the same FPL account on their ATAs are out of luck.

Lastly, visit http://status.fongo.com/.

"We experienced calling and registration issues across all platforms from 10:20AM to 11:05AM EST on June 26. Home Phone and FPL VoIP customers, please power cycle your adapter to restore service. - 2018-06-26 11:15"

Proper device reboot order is always modem (wait for it to be fully up and running)-->router (wait for it to be fully up and running with Wi-Fi SSiDs populated)-->ATA (or IP Phone).
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

No incoming phone ringing with Obihai 200 and freephoneline

Postby pawlusho » 07/29/2018

[b][/b]Hi,
I had decided to drop Bell landline in favor of a VOIP system. Bought the [b]Obihai 200[/b] about a year ago and finally decided to use it. Read in a forum that if the [b]desktop[/b] app of freephoneline worked properly, no problems of working with router ports would be encountered. This gave me the confidence to buy an unlock key from freephoneline.ca. I had already Google voice installed on SP1 working properly. My son checked for any firmware update for the Obihai and we found that the latest firmware: 5898 EX had been automatically installed by Obihai. I had read that this latest firmware was buggy and we were ready beforehand to manually download 5859 which was more stable. Now we are not sure if we can downgrade our ATA firmware. My son also configured that the voicemail would kick in after 15 rings after using the unlock key from freephoneline.ca
The problem is that after three phone calls hearing the ringtones on the phone connected to the Obihai , the fourth call you don t hear the ringtones, only the voicemail kicks in. If I disconnect the Obihai from the AC source and reconnect it, the situation repeats itself. I am using my Bell landline to call the phone connected to the Obihai, but my friend also complained about this situation:no ringing, only voicemail heard. These are my equipment: VDSL with Teksavvy using a Smart RG router (Model # SR515ac), Obihai 200 with latest firmware(5898), Panasonic phone.
I would greatly appreciate any suggestions which would get rid of this problem. I cannot port my Bell phone number until this is resolved. My son is helping me on the technical side. I don t know if the ports of the router have to be configured to get rid of this problem. So far phoning out with the freephoneline number has no problems; it is receiving calls with no ringtones. Also does it make a difference if you change the phone attached to the Obihai once you add a service provider or two? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
pawlusho
Just Passing Thru

Re: No incoming phone ringing with Obihai 200 and freephonel

Postby Liptonbrisk » 07/30/2018

pawlusho wrote:Read in a forum that if the desktop app of freephoneline worked properly, no problems of working with router ports would be encountered

That's normally the case. Did you test extensively using it?

I had read that this latest firmware was buggy and we were ready beforehand to manually download 5859 which was more stable.

5859 is not more stable for Google Voice, and those firmware versions only matter for Google Voice support.

Now we are not sure if we can downgrade our ATA firmware.

You can't below 3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX) anymore.

I am using 3.2.2 (Build: 5898EX), the same as what you're using, which works perfectly fine with Freephoneline.

What I'm not using is your router.

The PDF guide that you should be using to configure your ATA is found here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18805#p73839.

My son also configured that the voicemail would kick in after 15 rings after using the unlock key from freephoneline.ca

Rings before voicemail can be adjusted by logging in at https://www.freephoneline.ca/voicemailSettings.

The problem is that after three phone calls hearing the ringtones on the phone connected to the Obihai , the fourth call you don t hear the ringtones, only the voicemail kicks in.

Do you mean calls or rings? And are you hearing the rings on the receiving end--or on the caller end? Check to ensure you're hearing rings on the receiving end of the call.

If you mean calls . . .
a)Did your son follow the PDF guide fully? Make sure he refers to pages 42 to 44 (it's a variation of https://forums.redflagdeals.com/newegg- ... #p28508697), and b) also tell him to ensure that Keep-Alive is set properly as outlined in the guide on pages 23 and 27.
c) Also ensure that X_UsePublicAddressinVia is enabled (page 21 and 22).
You should be able to do this yourself as well, if you read the guide. Ensure that the PDF guide is being followed fully, please: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18805#p73839.

If you mean hearing a phone physically ringing . . .
Are you positive that it's FPL's voicemail system that's answering the call? Follow this PDF guide to configure your ATA properly, and then dial *98.
If that's not what you're hearing on an incoming call, another voicemail system (possibly on your handset) is answering it.

Also disable Follow Me to ensure another' voicemail system isn't picking up the call:
https://www.freephoneline.ca/followMeSettings

These are my equipment: VDSL with Teksavvy using a Smart RG router (Model # SR515ac), Obihai 200 with latest firmware(5898), Panasonic phone.

Use the PDF guide: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18805#p73839. Ensure that you're using voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 for the Proxy Server. Refer to page 21.
Use the guide under the assumption that you have a buggy SIP ALG feature in your router.
The purpose of voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 is to circumvent SIP ALG in routers, which listens to traffic on UDP port 5060.
Also contact your ISP to see if it's possible to disable SIP ALG in the SR515ac. If so, disable SIP ALG in it.

Edit: You can disable SIP ALG. Refer to steps 23 and 36 from https://help.teksavvy.com/hc/en-us/arti ... 15AC-Setup.

Also does it make a difference if you change the phone attached to the Obihai once you add a service provider or two?

No, and the problem, if you're not hearing ringing, is often router related (buggy SIP ALG, UPnP, or UDP timeout). Typically it's better to have your own router and to shove whatever modem/router combo or gateway your ISP gives or sold you into bridge mode. If you are ever in the market for your own router (which is a good idea for use with SIP services in general), visit: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/freepho ... #p29299104 to learn what's useful.

Lastly, open a support ticket at https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new.
When creating a ticket, for the issue type select VoIP Unlock Key-->My account inquiry. Ask for a "forced registration."
If no responds to your support ticket, provide the ticket number in a private message to Fongo Support after registering and logging into the forums: http://forum.fongo.com/ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&u=7852.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby pawlusho » 07/30/2018

There is no ringing both at the caller's phone and the phone connected to the Obihai. When it works properly, ringing is heard at both phones. I have forwarded this post and thread to my son and I can only answer questions on what I have observed. My feeling is that it is a configuration problem with the router and its ports.
pawlusho
Just Passing Thru

pawlusho wrote:There is no ringing both at the caller's phone and the phone connected to the Obihai.

Check registration status in the ATA when that problem occurs.

Dial ***1. Enter the IP address you hear into a web browser. Login to your ATA. Navigate to status-->SP(FPL) Service Status.
You should see that the status is registered (if it's not, that's a problem), but I also want to know what Proxy Server IP is listed, please.

Note that if you make too many registration attempts within a short period, you run the risk of being temporarily IP banned (the ATA attempts to register each time your reboot it).

Concerning temporary IP bans, visit https://community.freepbx.org/t/trunk-s ... ca/22479/8
"As May 2013, our servers will rate limit REGISTER requests to a maximum of 10 requests per 5 minutes. Each authentication round usually consumes 2 requests (digest auth), so it is a fair number given our guidelines. Also, it does not affect INVITES (which are also authenticated)...

This rate limit is applied per IP address as our service is tailored to residential Canadian users (ADSL/Cable)."

The following three timers are important and should be set properly as noted at https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... redentials:

i) Registration Interval:3600 seconds (1 hour)

ii) Registration Expiry: 3600 seconds (1 hour)

iii) Failed Registration Re-Try Interval: 120 seconds

The timers are specified on page 21 of the PDF guide along with a picture.

Please note that when there are multiple devices/softphones using the same Freephoneline account, only the most recent registration is valid. The previous device will lose registration and incoming calls will not work on it. Registration is required for incoming calls but not for outgoing calls.

The proper device reboot order is always modem (wait for it to be fully up and running)-->router (wait for it to be fully up and running and with Wi-Fi SSiDs populated first)-->ATA.

My feeling is that it is a configuration problem with the router and its ports.

Port forwarding is a security risk and should only be used when all else fails. Using DMZ is even worse.
If nothing I've written helps, then, unfortunately, you're pretty much stuck with port forwarding your RTP (UDP) port range 16660-16798 from your router to your ATA. For reference, that range can be found under ITSP Profile (FPL)-->RTP. Then look at LocalPortMin and LocalPortMax. RTP packets need to reach your ATA in order for you get incoming audio. Quite often, when the one way audio issue occurs, this is the problem. RTP packets are not reaching your ATA. Ideally, one should not have to port forward in order to achieve proper two-way audio, since port forwarding does create security issues. Port forwarding should only be done when everything else fails.

Refer to the port forwarding section of your router manual to learn how to port forward to your ATA. If a router was given to you by your ISP, call your ISP.

Try to disable SIP ALG in that router. Contact your ISP.
Also, it's extremely important that the PDF guide is followed fully: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18805#p73839.

Everything else I wrote previously still applies.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

pawlusho wrote:There is no ringing both at the caller's phone and the phone connected to the Obihai. When it works properly, ringing is heard at both phones. I have forwarded this post and thread to my son and I can only answer questions on what I have observed. My feeling is that it is a configuration problem with the router and its ports.

One other thing you can certainly do is to ensure the Freephoneline desktop app is not running anywhere on any computer with the same FPL account that you’re using in the ATA. Keep the desktop app off.

Please note that when there are multiple devices/softphones using the same Freephoneline account, only the most recent registration is valid. The previous device will lose registration and incoming calls will not work on it. Registration is required for incoming calls but not for outgoing calls.

There's evidence here of someone else having problems with the SR515ac as well: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19314. Unfortunately, the solution was to completely bypass the SR515ac's router functions and NAT by using the one built into the ATA and doing PPPoE login using the ATA. The OBi200 does not have a router built into it. The OBi202 does.

https://help.teksavvy.com/hc/en-us/arti ... 15AC-Setup
"23.If you are using TekTalk, ensure the Enable SIP ALG box is not checked. Click Next."
"36. If you are using TekTalk, ensure the Enable SIP ALG box is not checked. Click Next."
I don't have your modem/router combo, but clearly there's a way to disable SIP ALG in it. Disable it.

If you ever use an ATA that allows you to do PPPoE login, then also do steps 21 and 34 from https://help.teksavvy.com/hc/en-us/arti ... 15AC-Setup.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby pawlusho » 08/08/2018

OK. I have tried to digest all the recommended readings which you have mentioned. Thank you very much for your time and effort. My son is finally coming to try on Friday and physically fix the problem. Concerning the status, Google Voice is Connected on SP1 and FreePhoneline is Registered on SP2 . I also noticed that as soon as I phone from the Obihai phone to the Bell landline phone, the VOIP phone starts working and it rings after the first reversal call. After a few tries from the Bell landline, the Obihai phone doesn t ring and it goes directly to voicemail for the incoming call.
With regards to the formula: Unreplied UDP Timeout < NAT Keep Alive Intvl < Assured UDP Timeout < Reg Retry Intvl.. can you answers these questions:

1) In my router configuration, where do you find the UDP parameters ?
2) If the UDP parameters cannot be changed, can the NAT Keep Alive be changed to 35 instead of 20 and similarly can the Reg Retry Intvl be changed to 185 instead of 120 for freephoneline without any serious consequences? I am taking for granted that my router has 30 for the first UDP and 180 for second UDP numbers.
pawlusho
Just Passing Thru

Postby Liptonbrisk » 08/09/2018

pawlusho wrote:1) In my router configuration, where do you find the UDP parameters ?

I doubt either UDP timeouts are available to you, which is one reason why modem/router combos issued by ISPs are not very good for use with SIP services.
However, you can certainly call Teksavvy and ask.

2) If the UDP parameters cannot be changed, can the NAT Keep Alive be changed to 35 instead of 20 and similarly can

https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... redentials

"Keep Alive Interval: 20 seconds*

*Audio may be affected if this value is adjusted"

You can certainly try increasing the value. For Obihai ATAs, it's called X_KeepAliveExpires.
It's impossible for me to know what the default UDP values for your router are. If increasing X_KeepAliveExpires doesn't help, I would leave it at the Freephoneline recommendation of 20 seconds.

the Reg Retry Intvl be changed to 185 instead of 120 for freephoneline without any serious consequences?

Yes, it can. That value represents how long your ATA waits to register again after a registration failure. Lowering the value is bad due to the potential for triggering temporary IP bans due to too many registration attempts. Increasing that value is fine, with the understanding that your ATA will take longer to attempt registration again if there's a registration failure.

I would disable SIP ALG in your SR515ac as a starting point.
"23.If you are using TekTalk, ensure the Enable SIP ALG box is not checked. Click Next."
"36. If you are using TekTalk, ensure the Enable SIP ALG box is not checked. Click Next."
I don't have your modem/router combo, but clearly there's a way to disable SIP ALG in it. Disable it.

Afterwards, reboot devices. The proper device reboot order is always modem (wait for it to be fully up and running)-->router (wait for it to be fully up and running and with Wi-Fi SSiDs populated first)-->ATA.
For your the modem is a modem/router combo; so there's only two devices to reboot.
In the event that only port forwarding (which is a security risk) works for you, I would look into getting your own router so that you can bypass the router functions in the SmartRG-515AC: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/freepho ... #p29299104.
The other UDP ports, besides the RTP port range that I mentioned earlier, being used are defined by X_UserAgentPort and RegistrarServerPort in the ATA. If you end up having to port forward either of those UDP ports in order to get the service working properly, I would get a new router for security reasons.

Again the PDF guide for your ATA is found here and should be followed fully: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18805#p73839.

Note that I will be unavailable for some time due to medical reasons after this post. Hopefully, all goes well for you.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Toronto Service down or just me

Postby maxkuku » 08/09/2018

My phone has busy tones and the adapter is flashing green light. Wonder service just down or only me. Please let me know or any input for solutions. Thanks
maxkuku
Just Passing Thru

Postby pawlusho » 08/16/2018

Well, everything seems to be working properly. I wish to give LIPTONBRISK a big thank you and hope everything goes well with you healthwise.
For those who encounter a similar problem with my setup: Obihai 200 , Smart RG model 515ac with Teksavvy IP,, I would like to give some suggestions:
First, make sure you have a dial tone from the outgoing landline or cellphone and the incoming VOIP phone. I got the dreaded voicemail with no ringtones once at the end of my trials and when I picked up the VOIP phone, there was no dial tone.
Second, make sure you disable that SIP ALG and check the Bridges between....in step 21 & 34 of my router's set-up guide. Also enable NAT and in turn enable UPNP if you have two VOIP service providers (e.g. Google Voice and Freephoneline).
Thirdly, follow the set-up guide [b]DILIGENTLY[/b] right up to the end. Key words to check are Keep-Alive, X-UsedPublicAddressinVia, X-DiscoverPublicAddress, Follow Me
Lastly, follow the norms of the UNLOCK KEY Credentials from Freephoneline.ca.
In the next few days, I will be transporting my landline number after a few days of testing the VOIP system.
pawlusho
Just Passing Thru

Re: Toronto Service down or just me

Postby Liptonbrisk » 08/17/2018

maxkuku wrote:My phone has busy tones and the adapter is flashing green light. Wonder service just down or only me.

It's just you. Always check here: http://status.fongo.com/.

If you don't post your ATA's brand and model number in addition to your router's brand and model number, people are unlikely to be able to assist you properly.

Proper device reboot order is always modem (wait for it to be fully up and running)-->router (wait for it to be fully up and running with Wi-Fi SSiDs populated)-->ATA (or IP Phone).
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby Liptonbrisk » 08/17/2018

pawlusho wrote:Well, everything seems to be working properly.

That's excellent!

I wish to give LIPTONBRISK a big thank you and hope everything goes well with you healthwise.

Thank you. I'll be back in the hospital again today, and although I'm still recovering, I felt it would be irresponsible of me not to take a few minutes to respond.

check the Bridges between....in step 21 & 34 of my router's set-up guide

That's "Bridge PPPoE Frames Between WAN and LAN Ports", which is used to allow other devices (on your LAN) connected to your router to establish PPoE logins that allow traffic to pass through your router's NAT firewall. Enabling that feature makes sense if you're doing a PPoE login with your ATA, but you're not.

Also enable NAT

Firewall should definitely be enabled in the router for security reasons.

and in turn enable UPNP if you have two VOIP service providers (e.g. Google Voice and Freephoneline).

This prompted me to post despite still recovering from surgery.

Enabling UPnP is a security risk and should not be used unless everything else fails.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/06/1 ... re_attack/
https://www.howtogeek.com/122487/htg-ex ... rity-risk/ (very general write-up)
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/05/1 ... s_attacks/

UPnP creates the potential for any application or device on your LAN to open ports on demand (regardless of whether you want an application, malware, or device to do so), and port forwarding/opening ports are potential security risks. If your calls stop working after 30 minutes with UPnP disabled (with all other settings configured properly as outlined in the PDF guide), then enable UPnP. Otherwise, keep it disabled. Opening a port is somewhat similar to punching a hole in a shield (your NAT firewall).

I am using significantly more than 2 SIP service providers, and I have UPnP disabled. Everything works perfectly fine, but I'm not using a SmartRG-515AC modem/router combo.

If you're going to use UPnP, you should be aware of the potential risks associated with using it.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

sip status showing disconnected

Postby lithiumli » 10/03/2018

My phone line has been down for a a few days now. When i logged into freephone line i noticed the sip status shows disconnected. I have been using free phoneline for about 10 years and never had a problem until now. I have an obihai 200.

I tried doing a hard reset on the obihai, i also tried re-tying in the credentials in and it won't register. On free phoneline this is what i see.

YOUR SIP STATUS
SIP Status: disconnected
SIP User Agent:
YOUR SIP SETTINGS
SIP Username: *********
SIP Password: ******
Inbound/Outbound Proxy: voip.freephoneline.ca
Registration Expires: 3600
Use Preferred Codec: G711U or G729a
Use Preferred Codec Only: No
RTP Packet Size: 0.020
Ring Tone Frequency: 52
Ring Tone Voltage: 90

On my obihai 200, this is what i see

Service ProvidersNameStatusSettings
SP1Google VoiceConnected
SP2 (Optional)freephoneline.ca AccountRegister Failed: No Response From Server
lithiumli
One Hit Wonder

SIP Device Name: obihai

Re: sip status showing disconnected

Postby Liptonbrisk » 10/04/2018

lithiumli wrote:
YOUR SIP STATUS
SIP Status: disconnected

SP2 (Optional)freephoneline.ca AccountRegister Failed: No Response From Server

If the server isn’t responding you may need to consider that you’ve been temporarily IP banned, in which case point C below is of interest.
Note that each time your ATA reboots, it attempts to register with FPL again.

1. Setup your ATA using this PDF guide, fully (ignore anything about Tropo, since Tropo is shutting down at the end of October, 2018): viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18805#p73839. Do not use the preconfigured Freephoneline profile at Obihai.com. To understand why, read page 5 of the PDF guide.

2. After step 1 (above), refer to pages 47 and 48 of the PDF guide.
That is, refer to this section:

Are Freephoneline’s SIP servers down? My ATA isn’t registered.

A. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check server status.

B. If the service status website doesn’t note any issues, then chances are the problem is on your end. In your Obihai ATA or at Obitalk.com (whichever you normally us; don't use both methods), navigate to Voice Services-->SP(FPL) Service-->X_UserAgentPort. X_UserAgentPort should be a random port number between 30000 and 60000. Just pick a port number in that range. Change to a new port number in that range. Click the “submit” button, and reboot the ATA. (If you use Obitalk.com to change settings, you will need to use Obitalk.com).

If changing X_UserAgentPort works, you were dealing with a corrupted NAT connection in your router.

Possibly a NAT router connection was never disconnected or never timed out properly. And, then, the ATA keeps the corrupted connection in a persistent state over and over again. (Credit goes to Mango for this information). Possibly, this problem is due to the router's UDP timeout being in excess of the ATA's Failure Retry timer (RegisterRetryInterval with Obihai ATAs). With FPL, that's 120 seconds.

Thanks to Mango, many of us now understand that in order for ATAs to remain registered and working properly with a VoIP SIP provider like Freephoneline, in particular after power failures, the following conditions must be met:

UDP Unreplied Timeout (in your router) < NAT Keep-alive Interval (in your ATA; for Obihai ATAs this is X_KeepAliveExpires) < UDP Assured Timeout (in your router) < SIP Registration Failure Retry Wait Time (or RegisterRetryInterval in Obihai ATAs)

“<“ means less than.

When a modem leases a new IP address, a problem can arise where prior associations using the old IP address are maintained in the router. When the ATA attempts to communicate using the old IP address, the response is unreplied, and then if the UDP Unreplied timeout is greater than the Keep Alive Interval (and UDP Unreplied timeout is often set to 30 by default in consumer routers) a problem arises where the corrupted connection persists. If UDP Unreplied timeout is, for example, 10, and the NAT Keep Alive Interval is 20, then the corrupted connection will timeout or close. A new connection will be created, and everything will work fine.

Another problem can occur when the Keep-Alive interval is greater than UDP Assured Timeout (often 180 by default in consumer routers): the NAT hole will close due to the ATA not communicating frequently enough with the SIP server. In turn, incoming calls may, intermittently, not reach the ATA. Again, X_KeepaliveExpires is supposed to be 20 with FPL.

Getting access to both UDP Unreplied Timeout and UDP Assured Timeout settings in consumer routers may be difficult, if not impossible. Asuswrt-Merlin, third party firmware for Asus routers, does offer easy access to these two settings, which are found under Tools-->Other settings. However, my understanding is that third party Tomato firmware has these two settings as well. So if your router supports Tomato firmware, that may be another option.

The keep alive interval for FPL is 20. The SIP Registration Failure Retry Wait Time is 120. I use 10 for UDP Unreplied Timeout and 117 for UDP Assured Timeout.

C. Double check your Registration timers (refer to page 21). For RegistrationPeriod use 3600, and
RegisterRetryInterval should be 120. If your ATA makes more than 5 registration attempts in 5 minutes, you may end up being temporarily IP banned by the specific FPL server the ATA was sending registration requests to. If you're temporarily IP banned, you could then try switching ProxyServer (refer to pages 14, 20, and 21) to a different FPL server than the one you were previously using (voip.freephoneline.ca, voip2.freephoneline.ca, or voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060), unless you need to use voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 because you have SIP ALG forced on in your router. The purpose of voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 is to circumvent SIP ALG features in routers. If you followed this guide properly, chances are you haven’t been temporarily IP banned and should skip ahead to step D.

From https://community.freepbx.org/t/trunk-s ... ca/22479/8
"As May 2013, our servers will rate limit REGISTER requests to a maximum of 10 requests per 5 minutes. Each authentication round usually consumes 2 requests (digest auth), so it is a fair number given our guidelines. Also, it does not affect INVITES (which are also authenticated)...

This rate limit is applied per IP address as our service is tailored to residential Canadian users (ADSL/Cable)."

If you're temporarily IP banned, you could then try switching Primary SIP Server to a different FPL server than the one you were previously using (voip.freephoneline.ca, voip2.freephoneline.ca, or voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060), unless you need to use voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 because you have SIP ALG forced on in your router. The purpose of voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 is to circumvent SIP ALG features in routers. Or you can disable FPL SIP registration in all devices (turn off your ATA) and wait several hours until the temporary ban clears.

D. You can also try rebooting your modem–>router (wait for it to be fully up and transmitting data)–>ATA (in that order).

SIP User Agent:
YOUR SIP SETTINGS
SIP Username: *********
SIP Password: ******
Inbound/Outbound Proxy: voip.freephoneline.ca
Registration Expires: 3600
Use Preferred Codec: G711U or G729a
Use Preferred Codec Only: No
RTP Packet Size: 0.020
Ring Tone Frequency: 52
Ring Tone Voltage: 90

Those are just recommended settings and should be ignored other than your SIP Username and Password and the registration expiry. Definitely do not use G.729a unless you enjoy inferior sound quality.

---
Note that only one registration per FPL account is allowed at any time. When there are multiple devices/softphones using the same account, only the most recent registration is valid. The previous device will lose registration. This is especially important to consider if someone else is using your SIP credentials (username and password) that are found after logging in at https://www.freephoneline.ca/showSipSettings (or if you're trying to register your FPL account with a smartphone SIP app or with another device). Registration is required for incoming calls. It is not required for outgoing calls. If you simply want to make outgoing calls using your FPL number, configure, but don't register the account, on the SIP app being used. This is also important to consider if you're using Freephoneline's desktop application (don't have it running while using your ATA with the same FPL account). Additionally, keep in mind that if someone else is also attempting to register the same SIP credentials on another device where you live, too many registration attempts can result in a temporary ban (see point C above).
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Can't hear caller during incoming calls

Postby rami1979 » 10/27/2018

Hi there,
I've had a freephonline service set up for a relative of mine for the past 5 years or so and everything has been working great until recently. They recently updated their internet speed from 5 Mbps to 30 Mbps and so they received a new modem. The modem is a WIFI enabled Smart/RG SR804n and the ATA is Cisco SPA112. Now all of a sudden they can make outgoing calls and talk back and forth but when they receive a call the person calling hears them but they don't hear anything. I restarted the ATA several times, life cycled the modem and ATA, re-connected the old router and hooked the ATA into it, I even set the ATA back to factory defaults and went through the configuration from scratch about 5 times and I still can't get it to work. Looking at the modem configuration I don't see anything blocking outgoing traffic but noticed that the port speed was set to 1 GB Full duplex, so I changed that to 100 MB Full duplex followed by auto negotiate and still it didn't work. I even updated the ATA firmware to the latest 1.41 update and still the same problem.

When re-configuring the ATA, I followed the guide in this link viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16206 and even set the Reg Retry Intvl to 120 as stated in the topic. I'm not sure what else to try, the only thing that I can think of is when resetting it back to factory default I did it from inside the application instead of from the back of the device, would that matter?

Thank you,
rami1979
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: Ciscio SPA112
Firmware Version: 1.35
ISP Name: Distributel
Computer OS: Windows 8
Router: Belkin

Re: Can't hear caller during incoming calls

Postby Liptonbrisk » 10/28/2018

rami1979 wrote:Hi there,
The modem is a WIFI enabled Smart/RG SR804n

That's not just a modem. It's a modem/router combo (gateway), and the built-in router functions in that device are the source of the problem.

1. If you have your own router in addition to that SR804n, ensure that the SR840n is in bridge mode. Refer to the manual and contact your ISP if need be.

2. If you don't have your own router, try disabling SIP ALG in the SR840n. Contact the ISP if need be. In some routers, the feature is hidden with no way for consumers to disable it (sometimes only the ISP can). I have no way of knowing whether that's the case here because I have no experience with that device and can't find an online manual for it.

As a generic example, visit https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/sip-alg/disable-alg.

3. Also try voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 for ProxyServer in the ATA.
The purpose of voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 is to circumvent buggy SIP ALG features in routers.
https://www.voip-info.org/routers-sip-alg (scroll down to learn more about problems SIP ALG can cause in routers)

4. Also ensure that the following settings are enabled in the ATA (Voice >> SIP):

"Handle VIA received: yes
Handle VIA rport: yes
Substitute VIA Addr: yes"

5. In your SPA112, Navigate to Voice-->Line 1 (or whatever you're using for FPL)-->SIP settings, change SIP Port to a random number between 30000 and 60000.

6. Proper device reboot order is always modem-->router (wait for Wi-Fi SSIDs to populate first)-->ATA

even set the Reg Retry Intvl to 120 as stated in the topic

That's for the failed registration retry timer interval. That has nothing to do with one-way audio issues. It's the interval for the ATA attempting to register with Freephoneline again after a failed registration attempt. Regardless, it should be set to 120 seconds.

https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... redentials

not sure what else to try

The last post in the thread you linked
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16206#p75169

That is, visit http://forums.redflagdeals.com/anyone-h ... #p26234003 (and follow the steps, slowly, step by step, especially those listed from i to 13 at the bottom of the post)

I'm not sure what else to try, the only thing that I can think of is when resetting it back to factory default

A factory reset will not help.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

PreviousNext

Return to Community Support