Rejected by the Service Provider. Reason is 484.

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo

Rejected by the Service Provider. Reason is 484.

Postby curt » 05/28/2018

The phone has worked fine for a few years.

Today, when I dial out to any number, I hear the following from a system-lady recording:

"The number you dialled XXX-XXX-XXXX was rejected by the Service Provider. Reason is 484."

What does this mean? How do I fix?
curt
Active Poster

SIP Device Name: OBi202
Firmware Version: 3.2.2 (Build: 8680EX
ISP Name: Bell
Computer OS: Mac OSX 12.0.1
Router: Asus RT-AC68U

Re: Rejected by the Service Provider. Reason is 484.

Postby Liptonbrisk » 05/28/2018

https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3261.txt
484 Address Incomplete

The server received a request with a Request-URI that was incomplete.
Additional information SHOULD be provided in the reason phrase.

This status code allows overlapped dialing. With overlapped
dialing, the client does not know the length of the dialing
string. It sends strings of increasing lengths, prompting the
user for more input, until it no longer receives a 484 (Address
Incomplete) status response.

Typically the full phone number hasn't been sent, or there's an error with your dialplan.

You didn't specify the ATA that you're using, but based on your older posts, it appears to be an OBi202. Ensure that it's configured properly by checking your settings, especially your Digitmap for FPL, against what's specified in the PDF guide: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18805#p73839 (page 18, but go through the whole guide, please).

Also, in your OBi202's call history under Status-->Call History, ensure that your outbound calls are actually going through SP(FPL).

When you retest
A. Turn off modem, router, and ATA. B. Turn on modem. Wait for modem to be fully up and transmitting data. B. Turn on router. Wait for router to be fully up and passing data (wait for Wi-Fi SSIDs to populate first). C. Turn on ATA.
That's always the proper device reboot order.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Postby curt » 05/29/2018

Thanks Liptonbrisk for your reply.

Yes, I'm using OBi202 which is connected to my modem. My modem is connected to my router and my Mac is connected to the router. All connections are with ethernet.

I unplugged power from my modem, router and OBi202. I plugged in the modem and waited for the green lights. I then plugged the power into the router and OBi202. I still get the error code 484 problem.

I logged into OBi202 and will get back to you shortly.
curt
Active Poster

Postby Liptonbrisk » 05/29/2018

curt wrote:Thanks Liptonbrisk for your reply.

I unplugged power from my modem, router

What brand and model numbers, please?

Please do what I wrote initially (especially check your digitmap for FPL against what's listed in the PDF guide), but do incoming calls to your FPL number work?

Again, 484 is often a dialplan issue, with the full phone number being incomplete in the SIP URI being sent. In addition to checking call history in the ATA (Status-->Call History) to ensure the full number is being sent (and also being sent over FPL), you should also view your FPL call logs: log in at https://www.freephoneline.ca/doGetCallLogs.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby curt » 05/29/2018

The brand is Obihai. The model is OBi202.

In the Call History, it shows that each time I tried to dial out, it added 416 to my number. As an example, if I dialled 4162223333, it would dial 14164162223333. This must the cause of the 484 error. How do I fix this?

According to page 5 of the PDF guide, it states:

"F. Navigate to Service Providers–>ITSP Profile (FPL)–>General

DigitMap: (1xxxxxxxxxx|011XX.S3|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|*98|[2-9]11)

Here’s an alternative example:
(1xxxxxxxxxx|011XX.S3|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|[2-7]11|<811:8667970000>|*98|911)

The digitmap is appropriate for Toronto. For 811 you will need to look up the corresponding phone number for your area and replace the phone number after the colon. Note that dialing 811 in this example reaches Telehealth Ontario. https://www.fongo.com/government-service-numbers/"

I do not have ITSP Profile (FPL). On my OBi202, it shows:
Service Providers
+ ITSP Profile A
+ ITSP Profile B
+ ITSP Profile C
+ ITSP Profile D

I have the following DigitMaps:
+ ITSP Profile A-->General (*xx|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1416>[2-9]xxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*]@@.)
+ ITSP Profile B-->General (1xxxxxxxxxx|<1416>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.|*8[4-5]|*8[0-9][0-9]|*85*xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.)
+ ITSP Profile C-->General (1xxxxxxxxxx|<1416>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.|*8[4-5]|*8[0-9][0-9]|*85*xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.)
+ ITSP Profile D-->General (1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.)

I cannot tell if my DigitMaps are correct or not. Should I remove 416 so that it does not add 416 to the numbers that I dial?
curt
Active Poster

Postby Liptonbrisk » 05/29/2018

curt wrote:The brand is Obihai. The model is OBi202.

I meant the brand and model of your modem and router, but that doesn't matter for this problem. That information is useful, in general, when troubleshooting other issues.
When you have some free time please update your profile in your control panel for this forum with your latest devices.Thank you.

In the Call History, it shows that each time I tried to dial out, it added 416 to my number. As an example, if I dialled 4162223333, it would dial 14164162223333. This must the cause of the 484 error.

Yes

How do I fix this?

I would guess that you're using Obitalk.com to provision your ATA, and 7 digit dialing is enabled.
"7-Digit Dialing for USA & CAN" is a field (not in Obitalk Expert settings) where you can enter your area code.
If you enter your area code in that field, then it is prepended to the number you dial.

<1416>[2-9]xxxxxx means add 1416 to the beginning of any 7 digit number you dial, that starts with a digit between 2 and 9.

<1416>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx means prepend 1416 to any 10 digit number you dial that starts with a digit between 2 and 9. You provided an example above.

1) Read pages 9 and 10 of the PDF guide to determine whether you need to use Obitalk.com or not.

2) Read page 18

I do not have ITSP Profile (FPL).

I have no way of knowing whether you configured Freephoneline (FPL) on ITSP Profile A, B, C, or D. ITSP Profile (FPL) represents whatever ITSP Profile you've provisioned FPL on.

ITSP Profile A corresponds with SP1 Service; ITSP Profile B corresponds with SP2 Service; and so on and so forth.

I cannot tell if my DigitMaps are correct or not.

They aren't. At the very least, remove <1416> from everything.

For FPL use (1xxxxxxxxxx|011XX.S3|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|*98|[2-9]11)

If you need more than 3 seconds to dial 011 (international numbers), then increase 3 to something else more appropriate.

I would also encourage you to read the guide and ensure the rest of your settings are correct, including changing the star code for Blind Transfer (page 32) .
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby curt » 05/30/2018

I updated my profile. However, it only had the “router” field and I couldn’t enter both my modem and router, so I entered these into the “interests” field:

Modem: Huawei EchoLife HG8245H
    Router: Asus GX-D1081

My ATA is connected to the Modem, not the Router.

If my DigitMap is wrong, how come the phone worked for so long until a few days ago? Did something change it and if so, how?

Page 10 of the PDF states:

"Pick one method (obitalk.com) or the other (IP address of device) for changing device settings. But do not use both methods. Keep in mind that activating Google Voice requires using the Obitalk.com web portal if your Obihai ATA is using post-OAuth 2.0 firmware.”

I had used obitalk.com a few years ago and I have Google Voice, so I’ll continue using obitalk.com. Though, I do not know if my Obihai ATA is using post-OAuth 2.0 firmware.

According to my OBi dashboard, I have:

SP1 Google Voice
    SP2 My first Freephoneline number
    SP3 My second Freephoneline number

I will assume that ITSP Profile B refers to my first Freephoneline number and ITSP Profile C refers to my second Freephoneline number. (My Google Voice still works, as I can dial out.)

I went into Expert Configuration > Service Providers > ITSP Profile B General > DigitMap

However, I cannot change this field. The cursor does not go inside this field. Also, it had an orange exclamation mark to the right side of the field.

The “Device Default” checkbox was unchecked. The “OBiTALK Settings” checkbox was checked. When I uncheck “OBiTALK Settings”, “Device Default” becomes checked and a different value appears in the DigitMap field. I still cannot change the value in the DigitMap field. After I uncheck “Device Default” as well (“OBiTALK Settings” stayed unchecked), then I can change the value in the DigitMap field.

I changed the following:

(1xxxxxxxxxx|<1416>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.|*8[4-5]|*8[0-9][0-9]|*85*xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.)

to

(1xxxxxxxxxx|011XX.S3|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|*98|[2-9]11)

This fixed the problem. That phone line works now.

I did the same thing for ITSP Profile C General > DigitMap
and it fixed the problem as well.

The “Name” field was blank. I did the same thing with the checkboxes so that I can enter “Freephoneline”. Is this okay to enter something into the “Name” field?

I didn't change Blind Transfer, because I already have Speed Dials created, that dial my Freephoneline number which goes into voicemail.
curt
Active Poster

Postby Liptonbrisk » 05/30/2018

curt wrote:I updated my profile.

Okay, thanks. Your SIP device doesn't state OBi202 though.

By the way, an Asus GXD1081 isn't a router. It's a switch.

If my DigitMap is wrong, how come the phone worked for so long until a few days ago? Did something change it and if so, how?

I have a couple of theories.

The first is that Obihai updated firmware and while they were doing so, also made some alterations to your online Obitalk.com profile settings or pushed whatever existing settings (may not have been pushed before) were enabled to your ATA. Refer to page 8 of the PDF guide to better understand how Obihai can update firmware without your permission.
Also, visit https://forums.redflagdeals.com/google- ... #p29268299.

My other, less likely (unlikely, in this case), theory suspects a hack. Your OBi202 firewall does offer some protection, but it's probably not as good as being a decent firewall that can be offered in routers. Refer to point #3 on page 2. Also ensure that you're not using the default username and password on the ATA (page 12 of the PDF guide). Using default usernames and passwords for devices
that are connected to the internet, in general, is a bad idea.

I had used obitalk.com a few years ago and I have Google Voice, so I’ll continue using obitalk.com. Though, I do not know if my Obihai ATA is using post-OAuth 2.0 firmware.

I suspect it is. Otherwise, you shouldn't be able to connect to Google Voice servers (much less modify Google Voice configurations at Obitalk.com) because certificates were updated. Also, after June 18, 2018, you won't be able to connect to Google Voice unless your ATA is on firmware version 3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX) or later. Anyway, these are Freephoneline's forums, so I'm not going to discuss Google Voice further.

I will assume that ITSP Profile B refers to my first Freephoneline number and ITSP Profile C refers to my second Freephoneline number.

Yes

However, I cannot change this field.

You need to uncheck both the device default and Obitalk settings boxes on the right hand side.

Also, it had an orange exclamation mark to the right side of the field.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=458
"Inside the OBi Expert Configuration pages, you will notice its resemblance to the OBi device web page menu, look and layout. To the right of the configurable parameter value field, there may be a red exclamation mark (!). When this mark is present, it means the parameter value next to where it appears has an OBi Expert configuration database entry that is different than the OBiTALK database entry. If the Device Default and OBiTALK boxes are left unchecked, then the OBi will use this setting in its active configuration. "

The “Name” field was blank. I did the same thing with the checkboxes so that I can enter “Freephoneline”. Is this okay to enter something into the “Name” field?

Yes

I didn't change Blind Transfer, because I already have Speed Dials created, that dial my Freephoneline number which goes into voicemail.

*98, by default (in other words, it's defined by the service provider, FPL, in this case) is supposed to go to voicemail.
Specifying *98 in the ITSP's digitmap means that you would want *98 to do what the service provider intends (or supports), which is to reach voicemail.
However, star codes in the ATA override whatever you have in FPL's digitmap. So if you dial *98, currently, you're going to get blind transfer instead.
If that's what you want, then having *98 in FPL's digitmap is pointless and can be removed. But you're not doing what the service provider intends (which, in this case, probably isn't a big deal).
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby curt » 05/31/2018

How do I upgrade my ATA with firmware version 3.2.1 (Build: 5859EX) or later?

I've set up 9# as a speed dial to my own number. When I use this, it goes to voicemail. This is faster than dialing 3 keys (*98).

LiptonBrisk's edit: Sorry. I, accidentally, edited your post instead of replying to it.
Last edited by Liptonbrisk on 05/31/2018, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I accidentally edited the post instead of replying
curt
Active Poster

Postby Liptonbrisk » 05/31/2018

curt wrote:

How do I upgrade my ATA with firmware version 3.2.1 (Build: 5859EX) or later?

It's 3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX) and not 3.2.1

Read the first post in this thread:
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/google- ... #p29268299

3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX) is being pushed to all OBi2xx series ATAs, regardless of whether the device is out of warranty or whether you've purchased extended support.

You can identify your current firmware version by navigating to status-->Product Information-->SoftwareVersion.

It's entirely possible you already have 3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX) installed.

I've set up 9# as a speed dial to my own number. When I use this, it goes to voicemail. This is faster than dialing 3 keys (*98).

The question is whether you want *98, which is normally associated with voicemail access, to be blind transfer. Anyway, as I mentioned earlier, the decision is not a big deal
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby curt » 05/31/2018

Yes, I already have 3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX)

Thanks for all your help!!!

Do you work for Freephoneline, Fongo or Obihai?
curt
Active Poster

curt wrote:Yes, I already have 3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX)

Then you did have firmware pushed (updated) to your ATA without your explicit permission, as I mentioned before.

Thanks for all your help!!!

You're very welcome!

Do you work for Freephoneline, Fongo or Obihai?

No. I wish, since I would, presumably, make some extra money in my spare time.
None of the moderators here, as far as I know, work for Fibernetics, Freephoneline and Fongo's parent company.
I believe we're all volunteers if the username is orange. Green forum names are employees.
I also do not work for Obihai, which I think is based in California.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby curt » 05/31/2018

Why are you willing to offer so much free time?
curt
Active Poster

curt wrote:Why are you willing to offer so much free time?

I genuinely enjoy helping people, if doing so doesn’t inconvenience me.
Force of habit, I guess.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Return to Community Support