Penny charge to credit card? Key question regarding porting?

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo

Penny charge to credit card? Key question regarding porting?

Postby JeffF » 05/31/2018

I have 2 questions:

Background:

I've signed up with freephoneline, purchased a VoIP key and initiated a port, which is supposed to complete tomorrow.

My brother, who is the family tech dug out a Linksys SPA2102 he had lying around and put it into service with the freephoneline number - so far, so good.

In the meantime, aside from the fact that the VoIP key charge was $10 higher than the web site indicates (a small price to pay in any case, in my opinion) I found that there was a charge to my brother's credit card (he is handling this for me because I am moving to a place that is 'out of area' for my current phone number. He told me that porting to freephoneline was the least expensive way to keep my number for my new home).

Now, my understanding is that freephoneline is 'free', so aside from the payment for the key and porting, there ought not be any other charges unless I choose to purchase credits - I don't call long distance so I don't need credits; I haven't subscribed for credits.

Question 1: Why was the credit card charged the penny? I hope this doesn't become a regular 'thing' because it is annoying, to say the least..

Question 2: Will the VoIP key change when my number is ported? If so, how will I find out what the new key is?

Thank you in advance.
JeffF
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: Linksys SPA2102
Firmware Version: 3.3.6
ISP Name: Acanac
Computer OS: Win 10
Router: Linksys WRT1900AC

Re: Penny charge to credit card? Key question regarding port

Postby Liptonbrisk » 05/31/2018

JeffF wrote:aside from the fact that the VoIP key charge was $10 higher than the web site indicates

The website states $89.95 (+tax): click https://www.freephoneline.ca/optionalServices#, and select "VoIP Unlock Key".

Now, my understanding is that freephoneline is 'free'

Please be advised that each 911 call is $35 (+tax).

Question 1: Why was the credit card charged the penny? I hope this doesn't become a regular 'thing' because it is annoying, to say the least..

I could speculate that you're just seeing a temporary authorization charge that eventually drops off, but for official answers to billing related questions, submit a ticket:
https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Select "VoIP Unlock Key"-->"Billing and Payment Inquiry" for the issue type.

Question 2: Will the VoIP key change when my number is ported?

Your SIP Username will change and will need to be updated in your ATA after porting is completed.
You can find the PDF configuration guide for your ATA at viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16198.

If so, how will I find out what the new key is?

Login at https://www.freephoneline.ca/showSipSettings to view your SIP settings.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Postby JeffF » 06/01/2018

Thank you for the information - interesting enough the number ported this morning and when I changed the login user name and password it refused to register, so I took out an Obi200, put the credentials into that and it DID register, then I wet back to the Linksys and it was finally working there.

Perhaps you haven't looked at the order pages for the VoIP keys. On the order page is says $79.95 and on the secondary page where the charges are summarized, it says 89, but extends to 89.95

Someone might want to update the data.
JeffF
Just Passing Thru

Postby Liptonbrisk » 06/01/2018

JeffF wrote:Perhaps you haven't looked at the order pages for the VoIP keys.

Correct. I purchased my VoIP unlock key when it was $50. I haven't seen the order page in some time.

Someone might want to update the data.

Yes. I'll try letting Fongo Support know.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=7852

so I took out an Obi200

Is there some reason why you're not using an OBi200, which offers better echo cancellation, superior call routing features, an Auto Attendant, call recording, etc., than an SPA2102? Just curious. The only disadvantage is one less phone port. However, ATAs can be wired into a house so that all existing phone jacks work, provided the telco company’s line has been disconnected at the demarc in order to ensure electricity, which could fry an ATA, is not running through existing phone jacks.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby JeffF » 06/02/2018

Oh, I figured out the penny charge . . . . .

My invoice for the port & keys came to $132.17 - they took a penny less from the credit card. They then subsequently took the extra penny in a separate transaction. Strange, but true. I just ordered a second line/port (same reason, but for a second line) and they did the 1 penny underpayment and the bill says I still owe a penny. Considering the merchant transaction cost for credit purchases, this seems pretty foolish - something else for them to fix.

Why the SPA2102? My brother has several on his shelf and there is presently (though that can change) no plan to actually USE the phone lines;

The requirement was to replace Bell's "Single Number Reach" service which is in place because we moved my office out of area and at the time Bell had no other solution than to simply implement call forwarding and leave the line in place at the old location; After a while they offered me the SNR service which cost more than the phone line, but the person who approved it was clueless - we've been wasting this money for years; until my brother told me about Freephoneline. What pushed this into immediate mode was that Bell notified us that SNR was being upgraded and that we would have to change our fax number and move it to an alternate service that does not do what we need. FFL offers the same service as SNR, but for Free. Bell has been charging $56/month/number and with NO access to the physical line.

If we get reliable fax connections over the ATA Bell will also lose THAT line and I might plug the voice line into the Norstar - if the Obi is that much better than the Linksys, then I might buy one. Heck, if the VoIP lines work well enough then perhaps I'll put the rest of our lines with FFL. Time will tell.

Last; I'm moving to a new home in a month. I still have a landline and, of course it is 'out of area', which implies that if I want to keep it I need Bell's SNR, which makes NO sense, or it will move to FFL. Guess which?
JeffF
Just Passing Thru

Postby Liptonbrisk » 06/02/2018

JeffF wrote:Oh, I figured out the penny charge . . . . .

My invoice for the port & keys came to $132.17 - they took a penny less from the credit card. They then subsequently took the extra penny in a separate transaction. Strange, but true.

That does seem odd.
Should you require further clarification, please submit a ticket:
https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Select "VoIP Unlock Key"-->"Billing and Payment Inquiry" for the issue type.

Why the SPA2102? My brother has several on his shelf

Oh, I see.

If we get reliable fax connections over the ATA

For outgoing faxing, I have better luck with an OBi202 (OBi202 has two phone ports) and FPL (FPL faxing works well for me, provided the call is a local call) than I ever did with the SPA series and FPL.
For incoming faxes, you can let FPL's voicemail system answer the call. Log in at https://www.freephoneline.ca/voicemailSettings. If voicemail to email is set to copy (or forward), you'll receive a PDF file of the fax document via email. I prefer to use Fongo Mobile for incoming faxes though. The fax can be viewed in the app itself. Freephoneline, unofficially, supports T.38 fax protocol. Configuration settings are found on pages 31 and 32 of the OBi2xx PDF guide: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18805#p73839.

if the Obi is that much better than the Linksys then I might buy one

You can do more with an Obihai 2xx series ATA and FPL than you can with any other ATA that's intended for residential usage.
However, there's some controversy surrounding Obihai's support policies. For example, Obihai declared the OBi1xx series EOL (end of line) or discontinued and refuse to upgrade firmware
for OBi1xx users to continue using Google Voice (many people buy them for GV support), despite the fact there's no technical reason why OBi1xx series ATAs couldn't be made continue supporting Google Voice.
Obihai wants people to buy OBi2xx ATAs now instead. That's one way to generate more revenue from their existing customer base. Also, after an Obihai device is out of warranty, in order to continue receiving firmware updates via the Obitalk.com web portal, users must pay $10 USD per year. Obihai hardware (in particular, the features) are very good. The support policies leave some people cold (if not, livid). Firmware updates aren't necessary for people to continue using FPL though. It's mostly just a concern for Google Voice users. Personally, I would be extremely inconvenienced by not using an Obihai device with Freephoneline due to the manner in which I deal with telemarketers. But Obihai's support policies do bother me. I realize, in today's market, it's rare for devices to be supported forever. However, Obihai customers aren't told up front that they must continue paying $10 USD yearly in order to receive firmware updates once their devices are out of warranty. So, there's third party (hacked firmware) being developed now by a user named naf at dslreports voip forum: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r317927 ... mware-mods (ask questions about it over there please; and use hacked firmware at your own risk). I'm reluctant to discuss Google's service further on FPL's forums; I certainly won't be supporting it. It's not as though you can obtain a Canadian phone number using Google Voice anyway.

I think FPL offers very good value for its service. OBi2xx series ATAs, in my opinion, allow users to get the most out FPL's service. I recommend reading through the PDF guide to see everything you can do with an OBi2xx series ATA and FPL when you have some free time: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18805. OBi2xx series ATAs are sold at Newegg Canada online. However, should you discover you're happy with your SPA2102, then don't bother buying anything else. I see no need for people to buy something else if they're already satisfied. By the way, the OBi3xx series is not an upgrade to the OBi2xx series. Rather, using official firmware, the OBi3xx series does not support Google Voice.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Return to Community Support