Two Different Fongo lines in same house

Have a question or problem with your Fongo Home Phone service? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Visit The Fongo Home Phone Support Knowledge-base for more.

Two fongo numbers using same phone jack with splitter

Postby volcano » 06/24/2018

I would like to know if its possible to have two separate fongo phone numbers that utilize the same phone jack using a splitter.
Has anyone done this with success?
volcano
Just Passing Thru

Re: Two fongo numbers using same phone jack with splitter

Postby bridonca » 06/24/2018

I think I am going to say that is not possible, at least until I get more info from you. All a splitter does is allow you to use more than one phone, on the same account.

What is possible, is if you get an ATA like a Obihai 200 and program in 2 separate freephoneline accounts, you could have one telephone sharing 2 accounts.
bridonca
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Postby alexkillby » 06/27/2018

Some devices support multiple simultaneous VoIP accounts being connected like Linksys PAP2T. If you connect two separate Free Phone Line accounts to this device, then connect line 1 and 2 jacks from the ATA into your home phone network using a splitter-like device that splits the two lines in standard home wiring into two jacks, then yes your home network will have two lines throughout the house. Some phones can function using the two lines, other phones may need to be wired differently the wall to select the outside pair in the wall jack.
alexkillby
Quiet One

SIP Device Name: Google Pixel 2 XL
ISP Name: DSL/LTE

Two Different Fongo lines in same house

Postby volcano » 12/23/2018

Question: Can I have two different Fongo telephone lines in my house without installing a second dedicated telephone jack?
In other words can I simply use the existing telephone jacks(two separate jacks) with two different Fongo adapters and run them through the same modem?
volcano
Just Passing Thru

Re: Two Different Fongo lines in same house

Postby bridonca » 12/24/2018

You just need a telephone splitter like this one, https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/RJ11-6P4C- ... W5S4FYY843

You can also get them at the dollar store.
bridonca
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Postby RobertO » 07/30/2019

I imagine you mean you have/had 2-line phones on the wall jacks. in which case a splitter can work, but you need a 2 line splitter that puts line 1 on the green and red wires and line 2 on the black and yellow wires.
*** Make sure your home line(s) is(are) completely unwired from the outside service at the point of demarkation***
** Never have more than 5 phone devices to your phone jacks (easier than looking up REN values and trying to figure out when your devices will stop ringing) **
* 1 cordless phone base station counts as one device even if there are 5 phones paired with it *
You plug that into an unused jack in the house or get an extra jack wired in that you may plug it into, then you plug the line from the two different ATAs or one line from each of the lines on a dual-line ATA in to each of the two ports on the splitter (they will be labeled line 1 and line 2 if you get the right one). Now any basic 2-line phone can be plugged into any jack in the house for use.
This is more suited as is for Free Phone Line service as you may set the SIP port on one ATA to 5061 and use the correct server for it.
If you have two Fongo Home ATAs from more recent times, you will need to set up an old computer with PFSense and install siproxd properly to intercept the and proxy the service so they both may be running at the same time. There are how-tos online involved in setting it up.

I am using a Fongo Home Phone with the provided ATA and bought my Freephoneline.ca SIP settings for a Linksys SPA 2102 (which I had unlocked, but accidentally factory reset... ugh, I can't be bothered unlocking it again, I just use line 2)

The important thing to note about siproxd is that the inbound interface is the network interface where your various SIP devices are on, and the outbound is your WAN interface facing the internet. Listening port 5060, and you may have to monkey around with Wireshark to find the RTP range for your Fongo Home service. Again there are how-tos you can look up for more info.

----- I'd draw you a diagram but I am all out of crayons. Professional drawings deserve the crayon treatment ----
RobertO
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT801
Firmware Version: ????
ISP Name: TekSavvy
Computer OS: Linux
Router: PFSense, Linksys Archer 7...

Postby Liptonbrisk » 07/31/2019

RobertO wrote:This is more suited as is for Free Phone Line service as you may set the SIP port on one ATA to 5061 and use the correct server for it.

For local SIP port (Grandstream, Linksys, Cisco) or X_UserAgentPort (with Obihai devices), a random number between 30000 and 60000 should be used for security reasons for each separate account configuration.

For registration, no FPL Proxy server registers on UDP 5061. Registration will fail.
voip4.freephoneline.ca uses UDP 6060 to circumvent faulty SIP ALG features in routers. The others use UDP 5060.
https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... redentials
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Re: Two Different Fongo lines in same house

Postby RobertO » 07/31/2019

There are a few ways to do so.

This is under the impression you mean the Home phone ATA's.
***** Make sure the phone jacks in your house are in good condition, and not connected to the outside line(s) at the demarcation point *****
Now the splitter you need is one that will allow you to split and/or combine 2 lines. Now if you have a 2 line phone you won't need more than one of these types of splitters: https://www.amazon.ca/Two-Line-Telephon ... B0002J2PXY This one will let you plug the First ATA/Line 1, and the Second ATA/Line 2 while still allowing you to plug a 2 line phone in the same jack. This "injects" Line 1 to the Red and Green wires of your home line and Line 2 to the Black and yellow wires. You may plug 2 line phones into other jack of the house, but do not plug more than 5 devices in or you may notice some or all of them will no longer ring (In some cases less/more, but you can look that up online about REN numbers/values in videos on home phone wiring basics).
You will have to make sure all your jacks are fully wired.... red wire, red spade end, green wire to green spade end, yellow wire to yellow spade end... on all the screws.
If you have single line phones you will need one phone per line, per jack, using that last splitter, or one that simply splits out the line 1 and line 2; or one Cordless phone base station per line -- in which case you could just plug cordless base stations straight into the ATAs in the first place.

Now you will either need to have one of the ATAs set to SIP port 5061 instead of 5060 or use some sort of SIP proxy on your home network. I use Siproxd on PFSense firewall on an old Sun work station -- it's quite easy to set up and is transparent, and very magical on how it can work with both the ATAs and the Apps to let you have simultaneous calls ring in on multiple lines, and still, be able to answer them all.

If you mean multiple devices running the Fongo app, they sometimes sort themselves out, but setting up a SIP proxy avoids issues. When I went to college I actually set up a VPN server to connect to my home because as I was telling my classmates about Fongo I noticed it started acting more buggy and unreliable on the College WiFi... These days you can probably just get VPN service for $2/mo to solve this issue and protect your privacy.

I know it has been a while since the question was asked, but I know somebody will be looking for this question at a later date...
RobertO
Just Passing Thru

Postby RobertO » 07/31/2019

Liptonbrisk wrote:
For local SIP port or X_UserAgentPort (with Obihai devices), a random number between 30000 and 60000 should be used for security reasons for each separate account configuration.

For registration, no FPL Proxy server registers on UDP 5061. Registration will fail.
voip4.freephoneline.ca uses UDP 6060 to circumvent faulty SIP ALG features in routers. The others use UDP 5060.
https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... redentials

FreePhoneLine_throughproxy.PNG
The Proxy is correcting the incorrect SIP port
FreePhoneLine_throughproxy.PNG (16.25 KiB) Viewed 12121 times

Yes, you are correct!
I double-checked.
It only works with my set-up because of my SIP proxy correcting it to 5060 on voip.freephoneline.ca
I remember now that I set it to 5061 because I was trying to find the right RTP port settings to route through NAT prior to using the SIP proxy... long story, found the sip proxy and it was all a mote point.

I blanked out External and Internal IP addresses -- for obvious reasons -- as well as the specific server my Fongo Home uses -- since It doesn't match what I've seen in the forums, and I'm not sure they'd appreciate it disclosed. One may find out for themselves.
RobertO
Just Passing Thru

I’ve merged the two threads that were started by the same person on similar topics.

RobertO wrote:The Proxy is correcting the incorrect SIP port

Local SIP ports can be completely different than the proxy server SIP port. They're not related. One is used by a SIP device (ATA or IP Phone, for example) on a LAN. The other is used by the server you're trying to connect with.

Proxy Server SIP port (UDP 5060) being used by FPL's Proxy server, voip.freephoneline.ca, is not related to the local SIP port (UDP 5061) being used by a device (ATA, IP Phone, SIP app on smartphone or computer) for listening to SIP traffic (or for SIP signalling). Unless voip.freephoneline.ca:5061 has been specified for Proxy (with 5061 being entered incorrectly for the proxy server port) server, no correction is required. The proxy server SIP port can not be UDP 5061 with Freephoneline (UDP port 5060 is set by the service provider), but UDP 5061 can be a local SIP port (set by the user), other than the potential problem I mention next.

The reason the local SIP port is recommended to be a random high port number is due to SIP scanners typically probing UDP 5060 and 5061. (Additionally, sometimes problems arising from buggy router features can be avoided.) The idea is security through obscurity, but the bottom line is that nothing is better than a good firewall. With pfSense, SIP scanners shouldn't be an issue. However, when using a number of residential routers, hubs or modem/router combos (or gateways) that ISPs issue for residential customers, port scanning attacks can present problems. Suddenly people believe they're getting calls from "1001", for example. Those aren't real calls. Those are SIP scanners being used by crackers to steal services and break into devices on the customer's LAN. I do not recommend using default UDP 5060 or 5061 for the local SIP port or X_UserAgentPort. A random number between 30000 and 60000 should be used instead.

In an SPA2102, local SIP port is defined by (navigate to Line 1 or whatever is being used-->SIP settings-->) SIP Port.
That's the local SIP port, and it's not the same thing as the proxy server port being used by Freephoneline.

For an Obihai ATA, the local SIP port is called X_UserAgentPort (navigate to Voice Services-->SP(FPL) Service-->X_UserAgentPort).

For Grandstream ATAs, the local SIP port is called Local SIP Port (found under the FXS Port tab). Grandstream ATAs have an option to use random local SIP ports, which is good when dealing with corrupted NAT issues.

Unfortunately, by default many local SIP ports are set to UDP 5060 in ATAs, IP Phones, and SIP apps.

Local SIP ports for multiple SIP accounts should be different. If one is set to 35261, don't choose the exact same random high number for local SIP ports when registering/configuring other accounts on devices. Additionally, different local RTP ports or different RTP port ranges should be used. Some routers can produce problems otherwise, with traffic not reaching the right device. However, it should be noted that other routers can properly detect devices on the same LAN that are trying to use the same port number, and those routers automatically use a different port number for the next device trying to register.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

RobertO wrote:If you have two Fongo Home ATAs from more recent times, you will need to set up an old computer with PFSense and install siproxd

I think it's great that you have a solution that works well for you and that you're willing to share it with others. Thank you for posting your solution.

However, while pfSense is a powerful firewall, it's not, strictly speaking, a requirement, and, in turn, neither is Siproxd.

Since Fongo Home phone device configuration is tied to a provisioning server while someone is a customer with Fongo Home Phone, the customer would need to submit a ticket.
I could be mistaken, but it should be trivial, unless there's a provisioning server/software limitation, to get a Fongo rep to configure one Grandstream ATA with different local SIP and RTP ports than another Grandstream ATA issued by Fongo to the same customer.
In theory, it should be simple; I could change local SIP and RTP ports myself if these Grandstream ATAs weren't tied to a provisioning server. (Not all routers require these changes to be made.)
Fongo also has different proxy servers with different registration ports. Here is an example of a Fongo Home Phone customer's ATA being provisioned to register with a different server using a different registration port than UDP 5060: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=19485. So, local SIP and RTP ports shouldn't have to be the same in both ATAs, and proxy servers and proxy server ports in both ATAs don't have to be the same either, for that matter.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Return to Community Support