switch to Grandstream HT812 and but no incoming..

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo

switch to Grandstream HT812 and but no incoming..

Postby Rafi » 07/09/2018

Hi all,

I used to have a DSL modem with a built in SIP, however, it is not fast for internet. I spoke with Teksavvy (my ISP) and they sent me a new high speed modem "SmartRG-B920", I do have internet now, however, I got myself a Granstream HT812 SIP voip box, the issue that I am having is I can make outgoing calls with no issues, however, incoming calls will only work for approx 30 mins or so and then will stop, I have to reboot the voip box and it will work for another 30mins or so.
I logged into my freephoneline.ca account and I see that they are seeing my new VOIP box HT812 instead of the old one.
I tried using teksavvy dial string, and some other strings but still having the same issue, I have played around with many settings and still no luck.

Any one kindly, please let me know what settings should I have in order to fix the issue.

here is more info
Product Model: HT812
Hardware Version: V1.5A Part Number -- 9610005015A
Software Version: Program -- 1.0.8.7 Bootloader -- 1.0.8.1 Core -- 1.0.8.1 Base -- 1.0.8.6
CPE -- 1.0.1.77
Software Status: Running Mem: 26560

Port Status:
Port Hook User ID Registration
FXS 1 On Hook 161355555555 Registered

If someone here has step by step configuration file for such a box please share it, I am ready to give up.

Thank you very much,

Rafic
Rafi
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT812
Firmware Version: 1.0.8.7
ISP Name: Teksavvy
Router: SmartRG-b920

Re: switch to Grandstream HT812 and but no incoming..

Postby Liptonbrisk » 07/10/2018

Your ATA's firmware appears to be outdated: http://www.grandstream.com/support/firmware.

Double check your settings against those in this PDF guide: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18839#p74000.
I know the ATA models are not exactly the same, but some of the settings should be similar. The registration timers are important.
Register Expiration: 60 minutes (1 hour), Reregister before Expiration: 0, SIP Registration Failure Retry Wait Time: 120 seconds

Additionally,
Enable SIP Options Keep Alive: Yes
SIP OPTIONS Keep Alive Interval: 20

Also, only one registration per FPL account is allowed at any time. When there are multiple devices/softphones using the same account, only the most recent registration is valid. The previous device will lose registration (despite the ATA's registration status). In other words people sharing their FPL accounts or otherwise trying to register their FPL accounts with smartphone SIP apps/desktop apps while simultaneously using the same FPL account on their ATAs are out of luck for incoming calls.

Check your registration status again both in your ATA and also in your FPL account at https://www.freephoneline.ca/showSipSettings when incoming calls stop working.

Should you continue to experience the same problem, try voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 for the SIP ProxyServer. However, this problem appears less likely to be SIP ALG related than a NAT issue.

SmartRG-B920

I can't find any information about that device online, including Teksavvy's website.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Postby Rafi » 07/10/2018

Hi,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply, I did follow the procedure your provided, however, I am still having the same issue where after a short period of time, I am unable to receive calls. While in this state, I logged into the ATA and under status it shows "registered" but when I followed the link you sent me to verify the status on freephoneline.ca, it shows "status = disconnected"

Kindly, any help is greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,

Rafi
Rafi
Just Passing Thru

Rafi wrote:Thank you very much for your prompt reply, I did follow the procedure your provided, however, I am still having the same issue where after a short period of time, I am unable to receive calls. While in this state, I logged into the ATA and under status it shows "registered" but when I followed the link you sent me to verify the status on freephoneline.ca, it shows "status = disconnected"

Did you check all of your ATA settings against those listed in this PDF guide: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18839#p74000 ?
After making changes, reboot modem (wait for it to be fully up and running first)--->router (wait for it to be fully up and running first and passing data)-->ATA in that order.
That's always the proper device boot order.

Your ATA is losing registration for some reason. Some common causes include being temporarily IP banned due to too many registration attempts within a 5 minute period, which is why registration timers are important. Also, as I mentioned before, multiple devices can not be sharing the same FPL account.

If loss of registration is happening after 30 minutes, it's possible the issue is related to your firewall eventually closing all connections to a required UDP port. SIP Keep Alive (in the ATA) is supposed to help. Unfortunately, I am unable to find any information online concerning your SmartRG-B920. I'm not sure whether that's a modem/router combination device. I'm also not sure whether you also have your own router. To get an idea of what's required, I recommend reading the preamble or the first four pages of this PDF guide: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18805#p73839. Typically, it's best to have your own router for SIP services.

It's possible you may end up needing to port forward, but doing so is a security risk and should only be attempted when all else fails. One should typically start with the RTP (UDP) port range specified by the ATA. Using random RTP ports would make port forwarding difficult. If you end up needing to also port forward UDP port 5060 and/or the local SIP port (which also shouldn't be random if you're port forwarding), it's far wiser to get a good router for SIP services and to ensure, if you've been given a modem/router combo by your ISP, that your ISP's device is running in bridge mode. Again, port forwarding is a security risk and should be avoided whenever possible.If you require assistance with port forwarding, contact your ISP if your ISP gave you a modem/router combo (and if you don't have your own router). If you do have your own router, refer to your router manual or contact the support department of your router's brand name.

Unfortunately, I am out of further ideas at the moment.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby Rafi » 07/10/2018

Hi there,

Just a quick update, since it didn't work, I changed to sip to "voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060", once i did that and I rebooted the voip box, I lost access to the internet (laptop connected to the voip), and it wouldn't come back, logged into the voip box and status = unregistered.
btw, I only have one device to register which is the voip box and nothing else.
I switch the sip back to voip.freephoneline.ca and still unable to register , even if i go off hook, the phone says "phone unregistered"
I will do the reboot procedure as you mentioned today after 4pm once I am done work.

Thank you,

Rafi
Rafi
Just Passing Thru

Postby Rafi » 07/10/2018

what would be the recommeded dial string for teh granstream HT812? thx
Rafi
Just Passing Thru

Rafi wrote:Hi there,

Just a quick update, since it didn't work, I changed to sip to "voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060", once i did that and I rebooted the voip box, I lost access to the internet (laptop connected to the voip), and it wouldn't come back

Alright, I guess you're using the HT-812 as a router. If the SmartRG-B920 is a modem/router combo (a modem with a router built into it), do PPPoE login with the HT-812.
The purpose of voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 is to circumvent faulty SIP ALG features in routers. If you do PPPoE login using the HT-812 you'll be bypassing all router functions in the SmartRG-B920 (if that is a modem/router combo), which would be preferable. Your issue doesn't sound like a SIP ALG problem. It sounds more like a firewall/NAT issue or, possibly, an issue with internet connectivity.

Obviously, if you're losing internet access, FPL isn't going to work. If your modem isn't able to maintain internet connectivity, that's an issue with with your ISP (Teksavvy) and/or the modem you're using.

I switch the sip back to voip.freephoneline.ca and still unable to register , even if i go off hook, the phone says "phone unregistered"

Keep the following in mind.
https://community.freepbx.org/t/trunk-s ... ca/22479/7
"As May 2013, our servers will rate limit REGISTER requests to a maximum of 10 requests per 5 minutes. Each authentication round usually consumes 2 requests (digest auth), so it is a fair number given our guidelines. Also, it does not affect INVITES (which are also authenticated)…

This rate limit is applied per IP address as our service is tailored to residential Canadian users (ADSL/Cable)."

Each time you reboot, your ATA is attempting to register again. So be careful about how many registration attempts you're trying within 5 minutes. You run the risk of being temporarily IP banned by the FPL Proxy server you're attempting to register with.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Rafi wrote:what would be the recommeded dial string for teh granstream HT812? thx

I don't have an HT-812 to test, but the default for Grandstream should be fine. Otherwise, all the Grandstream PDF guides you see at viewforum.php?f=15 would specify making changes.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby Rafi » 07/10/2018

Teksavvy DSL modem is called "Smart/RG"model # SR515ac

the DSL modem is configured as bridge and one of its lan ports connects to the grandstream WAN port

I am planing on defaulting the configs of grandstream and reconfigure it based on the info you provided me even though this is what I curently have but just to be 100% sure.

Cheers,

Rafi
Rafi
Just Passing Thru

Rafi wrote:Teksavvy DSL modem is called "Smart/RG"model # SR515ac

That is a modem/router combo (gateway). It's not strictly a modem.

the DSL modem is configured as bridge

I hope that means that you're doing PPPoE login using the HT-812.

The dial plan has no affect on incoming calls or registration, by the way.

If the SR515ac is losing internet connectivity, the issue is with Teksavvy or the SR515ac.

I am planing on defaulting the configs of grandstream and reconfigure it

That's a good idea. Use this guide: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18839#p74000.
NAT Traversal should be set to Keep-Alive
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby Rafi » 07/11/2018

Quick update. The issue seems to have been fixed after doing the following.

I setup the Grandstream for PPPoE and it seems to have worked. However, I am not clear on why PPPoE is needed? I understand my DSL modem needs it for authentication and for pushing down the SLAs, but not able to figure out why the ATA needs a PPPoE? Kindly, if you can clarify it that would be great.

Here is a summary of the issue incase some others ran into it.
after setting up the Granstream with freephoneline, incoming calls become not possible after 30-60mins, however outgoing calls continues to work all the time.
VOIP box Grandstream HT812
ISP = Teksavvy, using DSL modem/router Smart/RG Model # SR515ac

The following needs to be done on the DSL modem. need to check the box beside "Bridge PPPoE Frames Between Wan and Local Ports" (this is under advance setup--Wan Service)

on the Voip HT812 Grandstream box, you need to do the following.
Under "Basic setting"
click the radio botton beside "use PPPoE"
filling in the following 3 fields
- PPPoE Account ID (your service provide needs to provide it to you, make sure this is a different value than your DSL modem PPPoE account)
- PPPoE password (your service provide needs to provide it to you, make sure this is a different value than your DSL modem PPPoE account)
PPPoE service Name (just make up a name)

Don't forget to scroll to the bottom of the screen and hit update/apply

from the top menu, Click on the “FXS Ports” tab
SIP User ID = your phone # , example 1613-555-5555
Authenticate ID = your phone#, example 1613-555-5555
Password = need to obtain this by visiting this link https://www.freephoneline.ca/showSipSettings
Don't forget to scroll to the bottom of the screen and hit update/apply

Under “Profile 1” tab
Enter the following
Primary SIP Server: voip.freephoneline.ca
◦ • NAT Traversal: Keep-Alive
• Outgoing Call without Registration: No
• SIP Registration Failure Retry Wait Time: 120 (there are two entries for sip registration failure, only populate the first one, leave the other one with the default value)
• Enable SIP Options Keep Alive: Yes
• SIP OPTIONS Keep Alive Interval: 20
• Use Random SIP Port: Yes
• Use Random RTP Port: Yes
• Transfer on Conference Hangup: Yes
• Allow Incoming SIP Messages from SIP Proxy Only: Yes
• SIP REGISTER Contact Header Use: WAN Address
• Preferred DTMF method: (in listing order) ◦ Priority 1: RFC2833 ◦ Priority 2: In-audio ◦ Priority 3: SIP INFO
• Enable Call Features: No
• No Key Entry Timeout: 4
• Preferred Vocoder: (in listed order): ◦ Choice 1: PCMU ◦ Choice 2: G729 ◦ Choice 3: PCMU ◦ Choice 4: PCMU ◦ Choice 5: PCMU ◦ Choice 6: PCMU

- Dial Plan: copy/paste to the following string {*xx|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|1[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|0xxx+}
Click update/Apply at the bottom.
You might not be prompted to reboot. In this case, after you applied changes: • Go back to the FXS Port tab and click Reboot at the bottom.

Phone should work

incase you need to upgrade the firmware of the ATA, mine was one release behind, however, I did upgrade it.
to do so, make sure you disable PPPoE on your ATA, have the WAN on your ATA connect to your router (in my case dsl modem)

from the top menu click on “Advance settings”

select HTTP which is located beside the "firmware Upgrade and Provisioning"
in the "Firmware server Path" type "firmware.grandstream.com
in the "Config Server Path" type "firmware.granstream.com
scroll to the bottom, hit update/apply then reboot.
it will take a minute or two to come up, however, after it comes up, give it approx 5 mins to upgrade.

this worked for me, hopefully it will help anyone that is experiencing the same issue.

Cheers,

Rafi
Rafi
Just Passing Thru

Postby Liptonbrisk » 07/11/2018

Rafi wrote:
I setup the Grandstream for PPPoE and it seems to have worked. However, I am not clear on why PPPoE is needed?

1. What you call a modem isn’t just a modem. It’s a modem/router combo or gateway.
The router part of the SmartRG device is causing the problem, and it’s likely related to a NAT firewall issue (possibly UPnP) or possibly a UDP timeout problem. I have no way of knowing without having the device and doing packet inspection. Regardless, the problem involves the router portion of the device.

2. You’re not truly bypassing all router features in the SmartRG until you use another router, in this case, and do PPPoE authentication using it.
In other words, in some modem/router combos, bridge mode isn’t truly bridge mode.
Your Grandstream HT-812 isn’t just an ATA; it’s also a router. So, instead of using your SmartRG as a router, let the ATA use its own built-in router functions, which presumably work better in this case for FPL.

Modem/router combos issued by ISPs are typically garbage, frankly, for SIP services. Some offer no way to disable SIP ALG. Many do not have QoS settings. None I know of allow users to change Unreplied and Assured UDP timeouts. It’s often better for the user to have a good router instead and bypass all router features in modem/router combos.

For what it’s worth, Netgear R7000 routers using early firmware had a bug that would similarly cause disconnects with FPL after, approximately, 30 minutes. A firmware update eventually resolved that issue. Regardless, those R7000 users are far better off using third party XWRT-Vortex firmware for SIP services.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Return to Community Support