no voice incoming or outgoing

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo

no voice incoming or outgoing

Postby johnbob1674 » 07/20/2018

The problems are many for this software...
#1 during install i had to install java which i did, still didn't work after numerous reboots and reinstalls, searched online, saw a suggestion that i may need the 32bit java, so i install that, reboot again, finally the desktop software works on my 64 bit computer.

#2 during registration , the webpage shows my voicemal password in plain readable text, but covers it during entry, the webpage updates, oh look there's my new password again in plain readable text... why cover it during entry if its being shown and readable as text.. i find that to be a security issue.

#3 If i call my cellphone there's no incoming or outgoing voice data.

#4 If i call my freephoneline number from my cell, i get a notice im not available and the call goes straight to voice mail. Calling voicemail, i do hear my message, so that half works. I have set my rings before voicemail to 8.. apparently that doesn't work.

#5 When i use the software update link, i get the message, cannot connect to server.

#6 When using the test connection option, it always says the phoneline works, but no data transfer and suggests port 13000. Ive checked and even portforwarded 13000 to my computer, there's nothing blocking this port, it should be working. Found on the forum that other ports are used by the software, so i add firewall and port forwarding in my router for those too.
This is way to many technical details involved here for most people, im guessing that's why the forum seems to be all but unused since 2013, with only a few posted message since 2014 to present.

#7 I finally found this support forum link hidden under the support area, and still had to load 3 pages deep just to get the link to here ( seems to be hidden quite well if you ask me, and the captcha is set way to high and requires like 50+ clicks just to validate as human.

#8 There are other little things that suggest the software really needs an update, but as mentioned no update server connection to be found.

#9 The in app advertising to upgrade to the paid versions seems to work just fine.

#10 There's mention of a add-on device, that maybe required, but nothing saying it is required or not, and a lot of the forums messages seem to relate to this extra device usage, so im unclear if i need to buy a device or not just to get voice data transfer to work.

#11 I know my $120 soundblaster headset works just fine, its used every weekend in discord, and works just fine with google voice to make free phone calls with....

The main issue after all this is no voice or data transfer happening in the desktop app.. i would have installed this into win10 as well, but... a repair is needed here first.

And the paid version isn't even a consideration at this point if the free software version doesn't work...
johnbob1674
One Hit Wonder

Computer OS: win7 pro & win10 (dual boot)
Router: NETGEAR WNDR3400v3

Re: no voice incoming or outgoing

Postby Liptonbrisk » 07/22/2018

johnbob1674 wrote:#1 during install i had to install java which i did, still didn't work after numerous reboots and reinstalls, searched online, saw a suggestion that i may need the 32bit java, so i install that, reboot again, finally the desktop software works on my 64 bit computer.

That requirement doesn't appear to be listed on the website, and, in my opinion, it probably should be. However, it doesn't matter if you have a 64 bit computer. Whether the software is a 32 bit java based application matters.

#2 during registration , the webpage shows my voicemal password in plain readable text, but covers it during entry, the webpage updates, oh look there's my new password again in plain readable text... why cover it during entry if its being shown and readable as text.. i find that to be a security issue.

If you feel that's an issue, let support staff know by submitting a ticket at https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new.

#3 If i call my cellphone there's no incoming or outgoing voice data.

1. If you have a modem/router combo or gateway issued by your ISP, ensure that it's in bridge mode. Contact your ISP if need be.

2. Disable SIP ALG in your router: visit https://kb.netgear.com/30796/How-to-dis ... -interface and https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/sip-alg/disable-alg.
Afterwards, reboot your devices. The proper device reboot order is always modem (wait for it to be fully up and running)-->router (wait for it to be fully up and running and with SSiDs populated)-->computer, ATA, or IP phone being used.

To understand why SIP ALG is faulty in many routers, including some Netgear routers, visit https://www.voip-info.org/routers-sip-alg/, and scroll down to SIP ALG problems.

Netgear users have a long history with needing to disable SIP ALG: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Wirele ... d-p/295912.

Also, read this post: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/rogers- ... #p29235388.

If i call my freephoneline number from my cell, i get a notice im not available and the call goes straight to voice mail.

That's normal if you're unreachable (FPL is unregistered in your device, or, in this case, if packets from FPL can't reach your computer).
The default failover is to send the call directly to voicemail.

Calling voicemail, i do hear my message, so that half works. I have set my rings before voicemail to 8.. apparently that doesn't work

The Rings Before Voicemail setting works perfectly fine.

When i use the software update link, i get the message, cannot connect to server.

Where is this link found, exactly? Regardless, there's no software update available for the Freephoneline desktop application.

#6 When using the test connection option

Yes, that test is useless.

even portforwarded 13000 to my computer, there's nothing blocking this port, it should be working. Found on the forum that other ports are used by the software, so i add firewall and port forwarding in my router for those too.

Port forwarding is a security risk and should only be used when all other options are exhausted.

https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... pplication

im guessing that's why the forum seems to be all but unused since 2013, with only a few posted message since 2014 to present.

There are hundreds of posts created in this forum since 2013. If you're referring to posts involving the desktop app, it's safe to say most posts involving Freephoneline are now created by Freephoneline VoIP Unlock Key users and not Freephoneline Desktop Application users.

I finally found this support forum link hidden under the support area, and still had to load 3 pages deep just to get the link to here ( seems to be hidden quite well if you ask me

Googling "Freephoneline forum" works fine for me.

and the captcha is set way to high and requires like 50+ clicks just to validate as human

I don't have to click anything involving captcha when signing in. If captcha is being used for new registrations and requires lots of clicks, I'm glad. Too many spammers sign up to these forums as it is.

There are other little things that suggest the software really needs an update, but as mentioned no update server connection to be found.

The Freephoneline desktop app hasn't been updated since 2013 and, as far as I can tell, is out of development; so there's no software update available.

The in app advertising to upgrade to the paid versions seems to work just fine.

I fail to see how that's a problem.

There's mention of a add-on device, that maybe required

There's no additional purchase necessary for the desktop app.

An ATA, IP Phone, or SIP Application is required for Freephoneline's VoIP Unlock Key. The VoIP unlock key is a one time fee of $89.95+tax.
You need to provide your own device.

Fongo Home Phone is a separate service, which costs $4.95+tax per month. You also need to buy their hardware from Fongo.

but nothing saying it is required or not, and a lot of the forums messages seem to relate to this extra device usage, so im unclear if i need to buy a device or not just to get voice data transfer to work

Nothing additional is required for the desktop app, except some learning. I recommend reading the first four pages of this PDF guide (the preamble): viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18805#p73839.

The main issue after all this is no voice or data transfer happening in the desktop app.. i would have installed this into win10 as well, but... a repair is needed here first.

I use Windows 10 64 bit edition version 1803 (OS Build 17134.191) on three separate computers, and the Freephoneline desktop app works fine for receiving and placing calls on all of them. I do not need to port forward.
I don't use Windows 7 and have no clue whether the desktop app works with Windows 7 (I suspect it does). That said, I only have the FPL desktop app installed to help people troubleshoot.

If you have a modem/router combo or gateways whose NAT and SIP ALG features aren't being bypassed by running that device in bridge mode and if SIP ALG isn't disabled in your own router, the following may not help. You can open a support ticket at https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new.
When creating a ticket, for the issue type select Freephoneline Desktop Application-->My account inquiry. Ask for a "forced registration."
If no responds to your support ticket after 48 business hours, provide the ticket number in a private message to Fongo Support after registering and logging into the forums: ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&u=7852.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Return to Community Support