Being billed for local calls: the app uses the voice line

Have a question or problem with your Fongo Mobile App? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Visit The Fongo Mobile Support Knowledge-base for more.

Being billed for local calls: the app uses the voice line

Postby fguerette » 08/06/2018

I have a data plan (no voice service plan - all calls charged per minute). Instead of using my mobile data plan, the Fongo app seems to call using the voice service, which causes me to be charged $1/minute of voice call, from my Mobile service provider. Huge invoices. How can I stop this?
fguerette
Just Passing Thru

ISP Name: Fido 4G_LTE
Computer OS: iOS

Re: Being billed for local calls: the app uses the voice lin

Postby bridonca » 08/07/2018

You are not using the Fongo dialer to make calls, you are still using your cell phone's dialer. It is an easy mistake you make. I would call your cell phone carrier and get them to disable voice calling. I do the same with texting also. That way, if you do make a call, you will get a recording saying that service is not supported instead of being billed.
bridonca
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Postby fguerette » 08/07/2018

That is not the case. I've hidden the cell phone dialer and sms so it can not be used. I've made sure the Fongo app is used 100% of the time.
My daughter's phone is configured exactly the same and it works perfectly. It is my mother's phone that seems to be a problem, as if the app uses the voice network instead of the data network.
So what can be the problem?
Thanks
fguerette
Just Passing Thru

Computer OS: iOS

Postby bridonca » 08/07/2018

fguerette wrote:That is not the case. I've hidden the cell phone dialer and sms so it can not be used. I've made sure the Fongo app is used 100% of the time.
My daughter's phone is configured exactly the same and it works perfectly. It is my mother's phone that seems to be a problem, as if the app uses the voice network instead of the data network.
So what can be the problem?
Thanks

I cannot see how Fongo would be the cause. Fongo does not have access to your dialer nor would it need it. Again, I would get my carrier to disable voice.
bridonca
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Postby fguerette » 08/08/2018

Ok. Thank you.
fguerette
Just Passing Thru