Desktop app test connection issue

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo

Desktop app test connection issue

Postby DevonK » 08/14/2018

Hi,

I'm trying out the FPL PC desktop app to see if the call quality and reliability is sufficient for me to dump Bell and go with FPL or Fongo. When I run the built-in connection test from the app, the call service reports as OK, but the data transfer fails with the message "unable to send/receive sound data! Port 13000 should be available." Despite getting this error, I can both send and receive calls with the desktop app and the call quality is good, no dropouts or choppiness in the few tests of it run so far. I have tested my internet connection with a few VoIP test tools and it passes with flying colours.

I tried opening the 13000 UDP port manually in my Windows XP firewall, it made no difference. I do have the SIP ALG running on my Dlink DIR 655 router, but it does not interfere with calls so far. Can I safely ignore this test failure and feel confident Fongo or FPL is going to work for me?
DevonK
Just Passing Thru

Re: Desktop app test connection issue

Postby mh1983 » 08/16/2018

Yes, ignore. I believe there are other posts in this forum that say the test is meaningless.
mh1983
Lightly Seasoned

SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT-701
Firmware Version: 1.0.10.3
ISP Name: Teksavvy Cable
Computer OS: Windows 10 64 bit
Router: Linksys WRT N600 on DD-WRT
Smartphone Model: BlackBerry Q10

Postby DevonK » 08/16/2018

mh1983 wrote:Yes, ignore. I believe there are other posts in this forum that say the test is meaningless.
Thanks for letting me know.
DevonK
Just Passing Thru

Postby Liptonbrisk » 08/17/2018

DevonK wrote:I tried opening the 13000 UDP port manually in my Windows XP firewall, it made no difference.

Port forwarding is a security risk.
Port forwarding should only be done when all else fails. Your calls weren't failing.

Yes, that test is useless.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Postby DevonK » 08/17/2018

Liptonbrisk wrote:
DevonK wrote:I tried opening the 13000 UDP port manually in my Windows XP firewall, it made no difference.

Port forwarding is a security risk.
Port forwarding should only be done when all else fails. Your calls weren't failing.

Yes, that test is useless.
Thanks. Yes I closed the port in the firewall as soon as I saw it didn't help with the test.
DevonK
Just Passing Thru

Return to Community Support