Voice Dropouts and Echo

Have a question or problem with your Fongo Mobile App? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Visit The Fongo Mobile Support Knowledge-base for more.

Voice Dropouts and Echo

Postby zuropak » 10/29/2018

I started using the Fongo app a few days ago, and most people I am talking to on the cell phone are saying that my voice is occasionally dropping out and they are missing a few words here and there. They also say that it occasionally sounds like we are speaking in an "echo". I Googled this issue and made a few changes in my cell phone settings; i.e.enabling the Use Alternate Echo Canceller options and/or adjusting the default Microphone Volume. Apparently these did not fix it. Has anyone figured out how to resolve this issue? FWIW, I do not hear the issues at my end, only the person(s) I am calling. I am using a Samsung Galaxy S6.

Cheers
Tim
zuropak
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: Samsung Galazy S6
Computer OS: Win 7x64

Re: Voice Dropouts and Echo

Postby zuropak » 10/30/2018

One thing that was suggested in my searches was that certain cell phones are possible culprits. Does anyone know if the Samsung Galaxy is one of those phones that could cause these issues? I really like the Fongo app and the service, but if I cannot resolve these issues, I may have to look for other alternatives.
zuropak
Just Passing Thru

Postby bridonca » 10/30/2018

It makes sense it is a problem on the other end of the conversation, their conversation is feeding back through your mic and speakers

Try using wired headset/headphones with a microphone. Slabs make for awful phones, and for them to work, they need to enable echo cancellation algorithms to make the call acceptable. Unfortunately, Fongo cannot use the hardware echo cancellation algorithms in the phone, and the software echo cancellation algorithm fongo uses is not very good. I would suggest you use a bluetooth headset, but Fongo is not 100% on the bluetooth either. So your only other option is to use a headset/headphones with a microphone.
bridonca
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Postby zuropak » 10/30/2018

Thanks very much for the reply bridonca. I guess that makes sense, but billions of people are using cell phones with their cell phone plans without the need for headset and mics. While that may resolve the issue, there is no way I am going to carry around a headset and mic with me for occasional cell phone use. Do you think there is any chance that Fongo might improve the app algorithms to help with this issue? Also, based on what you are saying, everyone using Fongo should have this problem, yet I do not see many others complaining about it? Furthermore, if it was a feedback loop, wouldn't it then happen 100% of the time? My experiences only have it happening about 5 to 15% of the time. The rest of the time people say it sounds very clear and normal. Anyway, assuming more people are having this same issue, I am really hoping that Fongo works on resolving it.
zuropak
Just Passing Thru

Postby bridonca » 10/31/2018

zuropak wrote:Thanks very much for the reply bridonca. I guess that makes sense, but billions of people are using cell phones with their cell phone plans without the need for headset and mics. While that may resolve the issue, there is no way I am going to carry around a headset and mic with me for occasional cell phone use. Do you think there is any chance that Fongo might improve the app algorithms to help with this issue? Also, based on what you are saying, everyone using Fongo should have this problem, yet I do not see many others complaining about it? Furthermore, if it was a feedback loop, wouldn't it then happen 100% of the time? My experiences only have it happening about 5 to 15% of the time. The rest of the time people say it sounds very clear and normal. Anyway, assuming more people are having this same issue, I am really hoping that Fongo works on resolving it.

Fongo cannot do much to solve the problem because Fongo has no control over what phone is being used. Some phones work fine, others work if you lower the volume to minimize the feedback loop. Fongo is forced to use generic feedback algorithms that are not optimized for any particular handset, to maintain compatibility. So if you can find a way to eliminate the problem to begin with, like a wired headset, you are ahead of the game!

These phones are designed to make calls through the cellular network, VOIP calls were always an afterthought. The exception is Google, of course, but since they have influence and control over Android, they can do things that Fongo cannot.

In my not so humble opinion, all slab phones have awful voice quality, because they need to use echo cancellation algorithms, which will never be as good as not needing to use them at all. Most people seem to be happy with the awful voice quality though.
bridonca
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Return to Community Support