Will it work?

Have a question or problem with your Fongo Mobile App? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Visit The Fongo Mobile Support Knowledge-base for more.

Will it work?

Postby fonMark » 12/17/2018

I signed up for a Fongo tel. number a few of years ago.
I used it one time in the U.S. at that time.

I will be going to the U.S. next week and would like to know:

a) if it will still work?
b) I remember putting some money on the account but don't know how much is there
c) How do I use it? I don't even remember how! Do I need wifi?

TIA
fonMark
Just Passing Thru

Re: Will it work?

Postby mh1983 » 12/18/2018

You're talking about the Fongo Mobile app, I presume?

The app itself works no matter where you are, so long as you have WiFi or data on the device. Unlike a traditional voice plan, Fongo doesn't use minutes; per-call, it'll sip internet bandwidth (WiFi) or mobile data, depending on how you're connected. You can now call any part of Canada (excluding territories) for free. US or international calls and texting require that you purchase (quite reasonable) add-on coverage.

Since you haven't used the number in a few years, you likely won't still own the number you signed up for. However, if you remember your account info, you should be able to sign in again and retrieve a new Canadian number. Also, if you truly had some balance left on your account, I believe that secures your original number.

The best thing you can do now is simply sign back into the app and see the status of your account.
mh1983
Lightly Seasoned

SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT-701
Firmware Version: 1.0.10.3
ISP Name: Teksavvy Cable
Computer OS: Windows 10 64 bit
Router: Linksys WRT N600 on DD-WRT
Smartphone Model: BlackBerry Q10

Postby fonMark » 12/18/2018

mh1983 wrote:You're talking about the Fongo Mobile app, I presume?

The app itself works no matter where you are, so long as you have WiFi or data on the device. Unlike a traditional voice plan, Fongo doesn't use minutes; per-call, it'll sip internet bandwidth (WiFi) or mobile data, depending on how you're connected. You can now call any part of Canada (excluding territories) for free. US or international calls and texting require that you purchase (quite reasonable) add-on coverage.

Since you haven't used the number in a few years, you likely won't still own the number you signed up for. However, if you remember your account info, you should be able to sign in again and retrieve a new Canadian number. Also, if you truly had some balance left on your account, I believe that secures your original number.

The best thing you can do now is simply sign back into the app and see the status of your account.

Thanks for your help!
Besides knowing whether my account will still work (number) I'm really trying to get a grasp as to what this
service really gives me.

Specifically when I travel to the U.S.?

For example how does it differ from Skype?
If there is WiFi service I could log into Skype and make calls for free to another Skype user or pay a few cents to a phone
not connected to Skype.

How is Fongo different from Skype in this respect?
Any advantages to it?
Disadvantages?

The only thing I can think of, is that if I have a number and a Wifi connection, someone could theoretically
call me on my Fongo number in the U.S.?
But then they could just as easily call me on Skype if I had a Wifi connection.

Am I missing something else that's obvious?
fonMark
Just Passing Thru

Postby mh1983 » 12/19/2018

You've hit upon the key difference: Skype is a walled garden, so you either call other Skype users for free or pay a bit extra to call a number -- all numbers would require some type of payment. Someone could call you on Skype, but they'd have to use Skype.

With Fongo, you have a Canadian number that you can use anywhere to call other Canadian numbers for free. Also, in the case of connection to WiFi, you can receive calls from family/friends who may just want to call using a regular phone (landline, mobile, VoIP, etc) and not hop on a Skype call.

Depends on how you prefer to do your calls, really. If most/all of your family and friends use Skype, then that's fairly advantageous. The key thing for me is having a single number that just works for people to call, irrespective of the type of phone they're using (and me saving by not having to sign up for an expensive voice plan).
mh1983
Lightly Seasoned

Postby fonMark » 12/22/2018

mh1983 wrote:Depends on how you prefer to do your calls, really. If most/all of your family and friends use Skype, then that's fairly advantageous. The key thing for me is having a single number that just works for people to call, irrespective of the type of phone they're using (and me saving by not having to sign up for an expensive voice plan).

OK thanks.
But if I understand correctly, you need to have Wifi in order to make or receive Fongo calls?
fonMark
Just Passing Thru

Postby mh1983 » 12/22/2018

Yes, I stated that earlier:

I recommend WiFi for travel in the States. If you want to use Fongo over data, it'd be expensive unless you have some sort of roaming package/add on to make sure you're covered.
mh1983
Lightly Seasoned

Postby fonMark » 12/23/2018

OK thanks very much!
fonMark