Looping recording on long distance calls to Bosnia

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo

Looping recording on long distance calls to Bosnia

Postby mmv74 » 02/18/2019

Hello,

In the last several calls to Bosnia, after some time during the conversation, I would hear a recording over and over again of last few minutes of my call with the other party (but only the other end, so at first I didn't realize it's a recording). At first, I thought the person on the other end is repeating itself, but then I realized this is a recording, a minute or two of it, and then I would hear it again and again.

This is freaky and disturbing not only for the cost reasons, but also because my calls are obviously being recorded.

Can someone take a look at this issue? Please contact me for details.
mmv74
Just Passing Thru

Re: Looping recording on long distance calls to Bosnia

Postby Liptonbrisk » 02/18/2019

Freephoneline support staff is under no obligation to respond on these forums. You're posting in user to user support forums.
Also, Freephoneline does not offer free technical support for problems that are not on their end, and I would suggest this isn't an issue that's on their end, unless some carrier they're using is automatically recording calls, which I doubt. If that is the case (which I have no clue how anyone would be able to prove), I guess you could ask if Freephoneline could switch carriers. I doubt a carrier is responsible. If you want to contact Freephoneline support staff, you'll have to submit a ticket: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new (provide the phone number you're calling in the ticket, and maybe ask if they can switch carriers to see if that makes any difference; but I'm pretty skeptical that doing so would matter). If no one responds to your ticket, you can private message Fongo Support with your ticket number: ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&u=7852.

Freephoneline does not record calls. More importantly, Freephoneline staff has no control over third parties recording calls.
In Canada, recording calls is legal, provided at least one person on either end of the conversation is aware the call is being recorded. Permission isn't required in that case. If the person you are calling is recording the call, there's nothing Freephoneline can do about it.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Postby mmv74 » 02/18/2019

I wish you didn't respond at all, instead of sending this kind of response, in which you say that:

1. Likely I am lying ("you doubt"). I know what I heard - a few minute of recorded call (of the other side on the line), being repeated over and over again. Possibly to prolong the call and charge more.
2. Recording calls is legal by either side in Canada, which is true, only in this case it wasn't either side recording the call.
3. Fongo is not responsible. Of course it's responsible - fongo picks the carrier, not me.

The support link is somewhat useful, if an issue about freephoneline can be submitted via that link.
mmv74
Just Passing Thru

Postby Liptonbrisk » 02/18/2019

mmv74 wrote:I wish you didn't respond at all

Your wish is granted: the next time you post with a problem, I won't respond.

Likely I am lying ("you doubt")

I never stated that you're lying about the call being recorded. I'm stating I doubt it's possible to prove a carrier is recording a call or that FPL switching to a different carrier would help in the event you or the person you're calling is being monitored. And I do doubt that a carrier is recording all calls automatically. I did say you can ask Freephoneline to switch to a different carrier.

Fongo is not responsible. Of course it's responsible - fongo picks the carrier, not me.

How are you going to prove the carrier is recording calls? It's not as though VoIP calls made using Freephoneline are encrypted end to end or that a third party can't easily record or listen to a regular PSTN call (third parties can record VoIP and regular PSTN calls; the capacity for anyone to record calls has nothing to do with the carrier being used) and play it back while the call is in progress.

If there's a lot of latency (delay) on a call, and if a cheap carrier is being used, it's possible you started experiencing severe echo towards the end of the call, when what you speak is later echoed back to you (this can also happen after a significant delay when international calls are involved using a cheap carrier). Sometimes cheap carriers are responsible for echo. In that case, switching to a Tier 1 carrier would help. However, I would then expect the long distance rate to increase.

The support link is somewhat useful, if an issue about freephoneline can be submitted via that link.

It can. Otherwise, I wouldn't have bothered posting it. That is the only official method of contacting them, other than hoping they respond via private message. By default, technical support tickets are closed for FPL, but you being recorded wouldn't be a technical support issue. So, you don't have to select "technical support" for the issue type. Sometimes they respond to forum threads, and while it's nice when they do, they're under no obligation to respond on these forums. Making requests on these forums that someone contact you is far less likely to produce an official response than if you were to submit a ticket and then private message support staff with your ticket number.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Return to Community Support