Mutiple Home phones

Have a question or problem with your Fongo Home Phone service? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Visit The Fongo Home Phone Support Knowledge-base for more.

Mutiple Home phones

Postby goliver » 05/09/2019

I am considering a Fongo Home solution.

From the instructions in the set up of the adapter it looks like my home phone will plug into the FONGO adapter.

My question is ' how to you get phones working in other parts of the house'? I have a mixture of old handsets and wireless handsets,
I would like to plug my old handset into a phone jack and receive dial tone. With my Cogeco
home phone I have dial tone in all phone jacks in the house. How does the Fongo Home adapter
work to enable me to get dial tone around the house. Or will I have to buy a handsfree wireless
phone with a base and multiple handsets?

thanks
goliver
Quiet One

SIP Device Name: NEXUS 5
ISP Name: Cogeco
Computer OS: MAC OSX
Router: Netgear

Re: Mutiple Home phones

Postby Liptonbrisk » 05/09/2019

Visit viewtopic.php?f=36&t=18658&p=73292.

This is the important part: when you find the demarc, you need to disconnect your former phone company's line. The electricity from the phone line could damage your Fongo Home Phone Adapter, even if you don't hear a dial tone on it.

If you don't disconnect the Telco's line at the demarc, you run the risk of frying your ATA.

Also, visit https://forums.redflagdeals.com/newegg- ... #p28531322.
"How do I connect an ATA to my house, so that all existing phone jacks work?"

For follow-up questions about Fongo Home Phone or ordering service, I suggest opening a support ticket: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new.
Fongo staff is not obliged to respond on these forums.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Postby goliver » 05/09/2019

Many thanks .... I will check out the links
goliver
Quiet One

SIP Device Name: NEXUS 5
ISP Name: Cogeco
Computer OS: MAC OSX
Router: Netgear

Postby hanke » 05/09/2019

I would assume, Cogeco's telephone modem would be your location where the whole home is distributed. The Cogeco telephone modem will have a telephone jack in it which basically accesses all your telephone jacks currently. If that is in an accessible spot, you could just plug that jack into the new Fongo adapter and it will distribute the phone service the same way. The only thing I have found is that ATA's have a limited ring ability if there are too many phones connected to the house jacks. Start with one phone set and ensure it rings, continuing to add more in your house one by one. Depending on the type of phones you are currently using if they are self powered or rely on the phone line power will effect how they ring, unless you shut the ringers off at areas you dont need it to ring.

Hopefully you can just plug your phone jack into the new Fongo adapter at the same location Cogeco's phone modem was previously.

You are basically back feeding your house telephone service from the phone modem this is why Liptonbrisk stated your demarcation point needs to be disconnected which I am sure with Cogeco you are already disconnected. Cogeco uses a modem/phone integrated box.
hanke
Lightly Seasoned

SIP Device Name: SPA3102
Firmware Version: 5.2.13(GW002)
ISP Name: Cogeco Cable
Router: DPC3848VM (Modem/Router)

Return to Community Support