403: Forbidden when registering my ATA

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo

403: Forbidden when registering my ATA

Postby whalethewise » 12/13/2019

Hi

I have a freephoneline.ca account and unlock key. I have and still using it for outgoing calls without registering. But when I try to register my ATA to it I get 403: Forbidden. I use provided username/password

Will appreciate any help

Thanks
whalethewise
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: obi200
ISP Name: Rogers
Computer OS: Windows
Router: VELOP

Re: 403: Forbidden when registering my ATA

Postby Liptonbrisk » 12/14/2019

Just to confirm, you're seeing the 403 error in your registration status?
Dial ***1, and enter the IP address you're told into your web browser.
Navigate to Status-->System Status-->SP(FPL) Service Status.

Follow these steps:

1) Use the PDF guide, found at the bottom of the first post, fully to setup your ATA properly: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18805#p73839. Using the predefined Freephoneline profile at Obitalk.com can lead to problems. If I were you I'd read the guide in it's entirety, including the preamble, but you should start on page 12, at the very least.

a) Ensure whatever modem/router combo or gateway Rogers gave you is in bridge mode: https://www.rogers.com/customer/support ... ridgemodem. Also ensure that your router has SIP ALG disabled (I believe Linksys Velop has SIP ALG disabled by default, but I'm not positive). Alternatively, use voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 for ProxyServer.

2) With VoIP services, in general, that 403 SIP error typically occurs when your Authpassword and/or Authusername have/has been entered incorrectly.
However, with FPL, I'm not entirely sure: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17288&p=68086&hilit=forbidden#p68086
and viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15120&p=68080&hilit=forbidden#p68080.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29874 ... uth-failed

What Mango writes is correct in that a 403 error should mean your SIP Password is wrong.
In fact, that "wrong password" error does appear over here in conjunction with the 403 error: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10956&p=54852, but it's not clear what the cause is.

Double check your Authusername and AuthPassword. Especially check to ensure you haven't entered blank spaces before or after your username or password.

Under SIP Credentials, your AuthUserName is your Freephoneline SIP Username, which is found
after logging into your account at https://www.freephoneline.ca/showSipSettings.

Your AuthPassword is your Freephoneline SIP Password, which is found found after logging into
your account at https://www.freephoneline.ca/showSipSettings.

3) Ensure that Voice Services --> SP(Freephoneline) Service --> X_ServProvProfile corresponds properly to Freephoneline

SPx (where x is whatever number from 1 to 4 that corresponds with Freephoneline) Service-->SIP credentials is where AuthUserName and AuthPassword are defined.

Service Provider Profile is X_ServProvProfile. The ITSP Profile (under SIP) is where you define the proxy server where you're trying to register AuthUserName and AuthPassword properly.
If SP (Freephoneline) Service is associated with the wrong X_ServProvProfile, there's a problem.

For reference,

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A is normally SP1 Service

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B is normally SP2 Service

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile C is normally SP3 Service

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile D is normally SP4 Service

4) Another potential cause of that 403 error is being temporarily IP banned due to your ATA making too many registration attempts within a short period.
Each time your ATA reboots, it's attempting to register with Freephoneline's server again.
You need to double check your registration timers.
For RegistrationPeriod use 3600. RegistrationRetryInterval is 120.

The places where this information needs to be entered are outlined in the PDF guide.

If you've been temporarily IP banned, read pages 45 and 46 ("Are Freephoneline’s SIP servers down? My ATA isn’t registered.") of the PDF guide (after configuring your ATA properly using the PDF guide), and especially pay attention to point C on page 48:

"Double check your Registration timers (refer to page 21). For RegistrationPeriod use 3600, and
RegisterRetryInterval should be 120. If your ATA makes more than 5 registration attempts in 5 minutes,
you may end up being temporarily IP banned by the specific FPL server the ATA was sending
registration requests to. If you're temporarily IP banned, you could then try switching ProxyServer (refer
to pages 14, 20, and 21) to a different FPL server than the one you were previously using
(voip.freephoneline.ca, voip2.freephoneline.ca, or voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060), unless you need to use
voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 because you have SIP ALG forced on in your router. The purpose of
voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 is to circumvent SIP ALG features in routers."

a) Go through steps A to D on pages 45 to 47 of the PDF guide after configuring your ATA properly using it should you continue to experience this issue.

5) Registration is required for incoming calls. Registration is not required for outgoing calls.
Note that only one registration per FPL account is allowed at any time. When there are multiple devices/softphones using the same account, only the most recent registration is valid. The previous device will lose registration and incoming calls will not work on it. Multiple registration attempts, exacerbated by using multiple devices, within a short period can lead to a temporary IP ban.

a2dahz had the 403 error with an Obihai 2XX series ATA: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19081&p=74879#p74878.
Here is how a2dahz resolved the problem: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19081&p=74879#p74881.

Your description of the problem makes it clear that this is a registration issue. However, if you're only receiving the 403 error when dialing out, it's possible you're dialing the wrong number, are using an incorrect dial plan, or are trying to dial outside of the 10 Canadian provinces without having any World Credits on your account (but, in that case, you should hear a different error message from Freephoneline).
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Postby whalethewise » 12/15/2019

Hi. Thank you for your answer.
Yes I see 403 in registration status.

The password is correct since I got it from fpl account info. Plus I can use the same fpl account to make calls without registering from my SPA3102.

Router is fine since both my VoIP.ms sub account are registered.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
whalethewise
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: obi200
ISP Name: Rogers
Computer OS: Windows
Router: VELOP

Postby Liptonbrisk » 12/15/2019

whalethewise wrote:
The password is correct since I got it from fpl account info. Plus I can use the same fpl account to make calls without registering from my SPA3102.

Ensure you're not accidentally cutting and pasting extra blank spaces. It's a common mistake.

Router is fine since both my VoIP.ms sub account are registered.

VoIP.ms is not Freephoneline. VoIP.ms can use different registration timers with less restrictions (which, in turn, matters when adjusting UDP timeouts in routers), whereas Freephoneline does not, and SIP ALG can affect both services differently and can cause issues with registration. Also, Freephoneline handles RTP differently than VoIP.ms. VoIP.ms forces RTP proxy audio at the switch, while Freephoneline relies on the user's equipment/SIP headers to ensure audio is routed properly to the destination (although RTP has nothing to do with registration, it should be noted that while one router setup may work for a VoIP provider, that doesn't mean the same router configuration will also work properly for Freephoneline or another). Buggy SIP ALG features in Hitron gateways and in user's routers can cause horribly annoying problems with SIP services in general, especially for Freephoneline.

Everything I wrote still applies.

without registering from my SPA3102

Ensure it's not also making registration attempts along with your Obihai ATA. If your SPA is making registration attempts, you've probably been temporarily IP banned by the FPL proxy server you're attempting to register with.

SIP error 403 means forbidden: the server understood the request but is refusing it.
I listed the possible reasons in my original response. If the issue is a temporary IP ban, unplugging your ATA for a couple hours can help clear it. However, if your ATA is not configured properly for Freephoneline, the problem will reoccur.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Postby whalethewise » 12/15/2019

Thank you

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
whalethewise