[Solved] Only Fongo callers cannot reach me on FPL

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo

[Solved] Only Fongo callers cannot reach me on FPL

Postby Tangara » 02/26/2020

Since more or less 3 weeks, Fongo callers from their home phone cannot reach me on my Freephoneline VOIP home phone (Obi 100 ATA + Obitalk). All other callers from any phone can reach me fine, and same for those using Fongo App on their smart phones. Never had a problem before and didn’t touch at any settings. I made a reset by unplug and plug. Nothing happens when they call at my number, no sound, but they will reach my voicemail after 30 sec (not knowing). Is that coming from having moved platforms, but status says Operational. I sent a Support Ticket to Fongo on Feb. 13, no news, sent another on Feb. 22, the problem is still there on Feb. 26. Any insights on that?
Tangara
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: Obi100
Firmware Version: 1.3.0
ISP Name: Videotron Cable
Computer OS: Mac
Router: DLINK-880L

Re: Only Fongo callers cannot reach me on FPL

Postby Liptonbrisk » 02/27/2020

Tangara wrote:Since more or less 3 weeks, Fongo callers from their home phone cannot reach me on my Freephoneline VOIP home phone (Obi 100 ATA + Obitalk). All other callers from any phone can reach me fine, and same for those using Fongo App on their smart phones.

Then it's possible the problem is on these specific Fongo Home Phone configurations or their accounts and not with your own configuration or setup. Given Freephoneline doesn't offer free technical support, it may be better to ask those users to submit tickets at https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new instead of you doing it.

Calls from Fongo Mobile to you work. Calls from regular landlines and mobile numbers work. That suggests, to me, the problem is not on your end.

Never had a problem before and didn’t touch at any settings.

Corrupted NAT associations can develop between routers and ATAs without users doing anything.

I made a reset by unplug and plug.

Proper device reboot order is always modem (wait for it to be fully up and running first)-->router (wait for WI-FI SSIDs to populate first)-->ATA.

Obviously, if the problem is on their end or with their accounts (and it certainly could be), then following the steps below is pointless.

1) What brand and model modem are you using? If it's a modem/router combo or gateway issued by your ISP, it's not just a modem; it also has a router built into it. Ensure that (if the device issued by your ISP is a modem/router combo) it's in bridge mode if you're using your own router, so that you're bypassing the router features in the modem/router combo issued by your ISP. Contact your ISP if need be.

2) Your router's latest firmware and manual are located at https://support.dlink.com/ProductInfo.aspx?m=DIR-880L

3) Log into your router

4) Navigate to Features-->Firewall-->Advanced Settings-->Disable "SIP"

Click "save".

Refer to page 65 of your router manual (see link in #2).

To understand why SIP ALG is often a serious headache, visit https://www.voip-info.org/routers-sip-alg/ (scroll down to "SIP ALG Problems")

5) Dial ***1, and enter the IP address you're told into your web browser.

If you used the Obitalk web portal (http://www.obitalk.com) to configure your ATA, keep in mind that you must continue using it to configure your ATA. Otherwise whatever settings you change will eventually be overwritten by what you previously entered at obitalk.com anyway. If you wish to disable this behaviour, dial ***1. Enter that IP address into a web browser. Navigate to System Management-->OBiTalk Provisioning-->select Disabled for the method. Save. Reboot ATA. Now obitalk.com won't overwrite whatever changes you make via the device's interface (via IP address).

Pick one method (obitalk.com) or the other (IP address of device) for changing device settings. Never use both methods.

If you're using Obitalk.com, look at this picture for reference: http://i.imgur.com/xwyqgRE.jpg
That grey cog wheel with the "E" is for the expert configuration menu.

It shows when logging in at http://www.obitalk.com, selecting "Edit Profile" on the left, then scrolling down
under "Advanced Options" and finally selecting "Enable OBi Expert Entry from Dashboard."

If you're using Obitalk.com, you will need to enter the expert menu.

6) Navigate to Voice Services-->SP(FPL) Service-->X_UserAgentPort

Uncheck both the device default and Obitalk settings boxes first.

Pick a random number between 30000 and 60000. This step should be done regardless for security reasons.

(submit/save/reboot)

7) Navigate to Service Providers-->ITSP Profile (FPL)-->SIP

i) ensure X_DiscoverPublicAddress is enabled (it is by default)

(submit/save/reboot)

8) Retest
When I say Retest, retest always includes the following: A. Turn off both router and ATA. B. Turn on router. Wait for router to be fully up and transmitting data. C. Turn on ATA.

Then retest by calling your FPL phone number. If the problem is solved, don't continue.

9) Try voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060

Refer to page 3 of the PDF guide located here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16196#p64070. voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 has nothing to do with Rogers specifically. Its function is to bypass buggy SIP ALG features in routers.

Retest. When I say Retest, retest always includes the following: A. Turn off both router and ATA. B. Turn on router. Wait for router to be fully up and transmitting data. C. Turn on ATA.

Then retest by calling your FPL phone number.

Is that coming from having moved platforms

It's possible. Fongo accounts were transitioned too as far as I know.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Postby Tangara » 02/27/2020

Thanks for your quick and well explained instructions. It is well appreciated that somebody takes time to help others. I will ask the Fongo user (my brother) to submit a ticket, will start with that first as it also sounds to me that the problem is on their end (Fongo). Will see and will keep the community informed if any developments.
Tangara
Just Passing Thru

Postby Liptonbrisk » 02/27/2020

Tangara wrote:Thanks for your quick and well explained instructions. It is well appreciated that somebody takes time to help others. I will ask the Fongo user (my brother) to submit a ticket, will start with that first as it also sounds to me that the problem is on their end (Fongo). Will see and will keep the community informed if any developments.

Fongo Home Phone has a server that's similar to voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 (which is used to bypass faulty SIP ALG settings in routers) that's used by Freephoneline users. In your brother's ticket, I would ask them to configure his ATA using that alternative server (used to bypass potential buggy SIP ALG features in routers). For example, visit viewtopic.php?f=38&t=19485#p76134. Ask if they can put your brother onto an alternate proxy server for customers with SIP ALG problems.

In the interim, I would do step number 6 that I listed previously, regardless, for security reasons. It may also help to (temporarily) fix potential NAT corruption between your router and ATA, but I don't think that's happened based on what you're describing.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby Tangara » 02/27/2020

Thanks Liptonbrisk, I will do both recommendations. My girlfriend with Fongo homephone can call me now, not my brother yet with also Fongo home phone. Looks like somebody is working on that... I will wait by the end of pm to submit a ticket (with your note too) in case they are fine tuning the network.
Tangara
Just Passing Thru

Postby Tangara » 03/02/2020

Update: a ticket was submitted to Fongo by my brother on Feb. 27, another one was submitted by another Fongo user later, and it seems that just yesterday Fongo users were able to call me on FPL. More, another friend with FPL is now able to reach me. Looks like Fongo did something to resolve this problem. On my side, I followed the instructions from Liptonbrisk in his previous message for numbers 4, 6, 7 and 9 + full reset. I disabled SIP in the D-Link router, my friend was able to reach me, then I put SIP back, and it was still ok. I imagine SIP didn’t interfere. So far so good. One last note, few people told me that the music (I like latino music…) playing before reaching voicemail was a bit loud. Thanks for your support.
Tangara
Just Passing Thru

Postby Liptonbrisk » 03/02/2020

Tangara wrote:Update: a ticket was submitted to Fongo by my brother on Feb. 27, another one was submitted by another Fongo user later, and it seems that just yesterday Fongo users were able to call me on FPL. More, another friend with FPL is now able to reach me. Looks like Fongo did something to resolve this problem. On my side, I followed the instructions from Liptonbrisk in his previous message for numbers 4, 6, 7 and 9 + full reset. I disabled SIP in the D-Link router, my friend was able to reach me, then I put SIP back, and it was still ok. I imagine SIP didn’t interfere.

For what it’s worth, the purpose of using voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 is to circumvent SIP ALG (the feature is called “SIP” in your D-link router), which is often buggy, in routers. So, in theory, if you use voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060, disabling SIP ALG in your router shouldn’t be required.

SIP ALG monitors or listens to traffic on UDP port 5060 (which is what voip.freephoneline.ca and voip2.freephoneline.ca use) and modifies, often incorrectly, SIP headers, making communication impossible. Not all routers have a buggy SIP ALG feature, but many do, unfortunately.

If your ISP gave you a modem/router combo (or gateway or hub) and not just a modem, that device may also contain a buggy SIP ALG feature, and it may be possible that you are running NAT firewalls in two routers (double NAT situation), which may also cause problems. Since you are you using your own router, it’s best to ensure whatever modem/router combo device your ISP gave you is in the bridge mode so that its router features, including SIP ALG, are completely bypassed. Afterwards, that’s one less device to troubleshoot. In the event your ISP issued a modem instead that does not contain router (not a gateway or hub) features, this paragraph can be ignored. Since everything is working fine for you now, I would ignore this paragraph anyway. Should you encounter problems in the future, then please refer to this paragraph again (and please specify the brand and model of the modem your ISP issued should you encounter future issues).

So far so good. One last note, few people told me that the music (I like latino music…) playing before reaching voicemail was a bit loud. Thanks for your support.

I never hear music when reaching voicemail. Music, in this case, would be Music On Hold (MOH) and is only meant to be played when a caller is put on hold. The music comes from Freephoneline’s server. We, as users, have no control over MOH.

Thank you for updating this thread, and I’m glad the service is working for you again.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby Tangara » 03/02/2020

My error, music is playing when on Hold (MOH). If Fongo sees this message, they might test the loudness. Thanks I will keep all those instructions for the future, new hardware can come with time. I left SIP ALG disabled on the D-Link, in case...
Tangara
Just Passing Thru

Postby Liptonbrisk » 03/02/2020

Again, thank you very much for updating me.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Return to Community Support