HT802 can't place outgoing calls - fast busy every time

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo

HT802 can't place outgoing calls - fast busy every time

Postby gculley01 » 08/04/2020

I know that this topic has had some coverage here on the forums and I've scoured them for ideas, but so far no luck.
I've been using FPL for over 10 years using a Cisco SPA112 with almost no issues. This week I'm trying to help a friend to "cut the cord" and I've been trying to set him up on FPL with a Grandstream HT802 box. I followed the configuration options outlined in this forum here: http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18839#p74000. In brief, I'm using "Keep Alive" NAT traversal and random ports and the dial string recommended by FPL (changing the braces to {} from ()).

Unfortunately I can only receive calls with the device. Every outgoing call goes to a "fast busy" signal.
I've tried playing with the Dial Plan settings and even placed the HT802 in DMZ on my router. I also tried a STUN server.
My router is an ASUS running Merlin so I was able to also configure the UDP unreplied timeout settings recommended in the forum, but still no luck. No problem registering on FPL, I just can't place calls.

When I reconnect my Cisco SPA112 I have no issues (other than a long-standing issue where I'm forced to change my Primary SIP Server to voip2.freephoneline.ca after a power failure or the unit never recovers by itself, suggesting some kind of NAT issue, but that's perhaps another topic).

The odd thing is that the Status page on the HT802 is saying "Unknow NAT". I also don't see anything in the status page for provisioning (it says it will download some XML file).
I'm also wondering if FPL keeps track of a MAC address and won't let me use a different device for my account?

This is not going to become my device, but I would like to ensure that it works for my friend before installing it at his home. Any help would be appreciated.
gculley01
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: SPA112
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Carrytel
Computer OS: Windows 10
Router: Asus RT-AC86U

Re: HT802 can't place outgoing calls - fast busy every time

Postby Liptonbrisk » 08/04/2020

gculley01 wrote:I've tried playing with the Dial Plan settings

Try {[2345689]11|*98|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|1[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xxxxxxxxxxxx.}

and the dial string recommended by FPL

Don't. That's for SPAs. And [6-7]x*xxxxxxxxxxx. doesn't logically apply to anything.

and even placed the HT802 in DMZ on my router. I also tried a STUN server.

Don't. Disable STUN and especially DMZ.

My router is an ASUS running Merlin

Ensure SIP Passthrough is not set to "Enabled + NAT Helper". Don't use "+ NAT Helper"
The setting is found int the router under Advanced Settings-->WAN-->NAT Passthrough.

No problem registering on FPL, I just can't place calls.

I'm not positive, but suspect the issue is dial plan related.

When I reconnect my Cisco SPA112 I have no issues (other than a long-standing issue where I'm forced to change my Primary SIP Server to voip2.freephoneline.ca after a power failure or the unit never recovers by itself, suggesting some kind of NAT issue, but that's perhaps another topic).

You'll need to wait until the ATA attempts to register again (defined by the Reg Retry Intvl in the ATA).

Look at point #4 from http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 545#p77545

Also in the SPA112, Navigate to Voice-->SIP-->SIP Timer Values (sec)-->Reg Retry Intvl should be 120 seconds
(That’s the failed registration retry timer/interval)

This setting can be increased if you wish without having FPL's server temporarily ban you. So, let's say you want to keep your UDP Assured Timeout in your router set to 180s (default). In that case, raise Reg Retry Intvl to 183 seconds. When your ATA fails a registration attempt, instead of waiting 120 seconds to try again, it will wait 183 seconds to make another registration attempt. A setting below 120 seconds might cause problems. Too many registration attempts within a short period can result in a temporary IP ban.

I'm also wondering if FPL keeps track of a MAC address and won't let me use a different device for my account?

No. But you can't have two devices simultaneously registered.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

It turns out that this was an "oops" on my part. We have a 2-line setup here with one of the lines no longer used. The SPA112 only gives a dial tone when the line has been registered with the SIP servers. Apparently, the HT802 gives a dial tone all the time on both lines, even when there is no configuration set up for the line (service active = No).
I thus managed to get my lines crossed. If I had actually answered a test call to my home phone, then I would have realized that the call was coming on on the other line and I would have tested my outgoing calls on that line.
So there I am, embarrassing myself in public, but I'll leave this post out there just in case someone else falls into the same "oops".

I appreciate your input on the settings though. I've since gone back and got rid of STUN, DMZ as well as my port forwards to ports 5004, 5060:5061. I did disable SIP Passthrough in Merlin, but from what I've since read it looks like Merlin handles SIP ALG properly, so I guess I can reinstate it.

Does your Dial Plan cover 911? I'd also like to set it up so that I can use 7-digit dialing for our local area code (519). Could you please recommend something for that?
gculley01
Just Passing Thru

Postby Liptonbrisk » 08/04/2020

gculley01 wrote:So there I am, embarrassing myself in public, but I'll leave this post out there just in case someone else falls into the same "oops".

I don't think it's embarrassing, and, more importantly (to me), you're honest.

I appreciate your input on the settings though. I've since gone back and got rid of STUN, DMZ as well as my port forwards to ports 5004, 5060:5061.

Port forwarding and especially DMZ are security risks. Using STUN creates an additional point of failure (when the STUN server drops so does your service).

I did disable SIP Passthrough in Merlin, but from what I've since read it looks like Merlin handles SIP ALG properly, so I guess I can reinstate it.

I use Merlin. SIP Passthrough should be set to "Enabled + NAT Helper"

Does your Dial Plan cover 911?

Yes

[2345689]11

Means allow 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or 8 or 9 followed by 11

https://www.fongo.com/government-service-numbers/

If you're in Ontario, 811 won't do anything (won't be Telehealth).

I'd also like to set it up so that I can use 7-digit dialing for our local area code (519). Could you please recommend something for that?

<=519>[2-9]xxxxxx

means prepend 519 to any 7 digit number starting with a digit from 2 to 9.

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time to deal with dial plans. I suggest if you require further help with them to ask at https://forums.grandstream.com/ or https://www.dslreports.com/forum/voip
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Thanks again for the help!
I was playing with this string, but for some odd reason it refuses to add a 1 in front of a 10-digit number: { <=1>[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxx | <=1519>[2-9]xxxxxx | [469]11 | x+ | *x+ | *xx*x+ }
It does add the area code to a 7-digit number though.
gculley01
Just Passing Thru

Return to Community Support