Outgoing calls problem

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.
g4ehonda
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: SPA2102

Outgoing calls problem

Post by g4ehonda »

I have used freephoneline for about a year. Until recently, it seems to have a problem making outgoing call.
When I called a Rogers cell phone, the receiver is showing as Unknown number on the cellphone. The receiver cannot hear anything what I said but on the freephoneline I can hear whatever he said on the cellphone. If I hangup on the freephoneline and called again, then it's working as normal again. (i.e. showing my correct FPL number and we both can talk)

Does anyone have this problem recently? Is this a FPL problem?

Note: I do have all ports forwarded properly. I am using a WRT310N router and SPA-2102

Thanks in advance.
zombie999
Lightly Seasoned

Re: Outgoing calls problem

Post by zombie999 »

Yup, since recently, my outgoing caller ID shows as unknown sometimes.
g4ehonda
Just Passing Thru

Post by g4ehonda »

So is FPL going to address this issue?
FONGO_kris
Site Moderator
SIP Device Name: Polycom 550 IP Phone
Firmware Version: 4.2.0.0310
ISP Name: Rogers Cable
Computer OS: Ubuntu 11.10
Router: Cisco E1200-N
Smartphone Model: Samsung Galaxy S2
Android Version: 4.0.3

Post by FONGO_kris »

g4ehonda, since you're using third-party hardware I cannot assist you with your actual device, however if you would please PM me your number I can look into your SIP logs to see if anything jumps out at me.

zombie999, what device are you using to make these calls where the outgoing caller ID is failing to show?
Kris
Logistics & International Purchasing | Fongo
Call us toll-free! 611 from your fongo phone or 1-855-836-3355
Please advise I will no longer be contributing to this forum for the time being. Please feel free to email me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Samsung Galaxy S2 [GT-I9100] / 3.0.15-I9100XXLPH / Thebyani v3.2
pete_fpl
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: Cisco PAP2T
Firmware Version: 5.1.6
ISP Name: Fibrestream
Router: D-Link DIR-601 N 150

Post by pete_fpl »

I'm having the same issues. Everything was working 100% until a few weeks ago. The person I'm calling can't hear me, and today someone called and it didn't even ring the phone - straight to voice mail. So now there's incoming issues as well.
zombie999
Lightly Seasoned

Post by zombie999 »

admin wrote:zombie999, what device are you using to make these calls where the outgoing caller ID is failing to show?
Device should not matter as the caller ID is set by FPL and cannot be overwritten, right?
Anyway I'm using asterisk. I don't like people who are scared to answer blocked calls, so this is not a big deal anyway. ;)
simonin
Just Passing Thru

Post by simonin »

the same problem started a few weeks ago, i found out until one of my friends mentioned that i am using an unknown number to call her.

i spent whole afternoon to test it, i find FREEPHONELINE service has the OUTBOUND CALLER ID problem with TELUS , ROGERS, WIND CELL PHONE, BELL LAND LINE, for the rest carriers, i just simply had no time to test them, it not means freephoneline outbound caller ID works properly with rest telecom carriers.

at the beginning, i thought there is problem with my box, after i switch box with my friend, the problem still existed. then i tried freephoneline softphone, and X-LITE softphone on my computer(of course, disconnect the box), the problem remain.

in most test, freephoneline outbound caller id works fine, but there is significant portion of the freephoneline outbound calls failed to display caller ID on the other side.

when there is problem, the percentage of failure is variable, from 10%-30% freephoneline outbound calls failed to display caller ID on the other side. in an extreme case, 7 out of 10 freephoneline outbound calls failed display called id on a telus cell phone. it seems, at that moment, there is an outage on freephoneline service.

BTW, i did the test in this way, just keep dialing, see if the caller ID displayed properly.

the failure rate is just way too high for kind of a phone service.

this kind of problem is easy to discover, just keep dialing, you will find the problem.
g4ehonda
Just Passing Thru

Post by g4ehonda »

simonin - Try changing your prefer codec to 729a seems to have fix the problem, however the caller id will still show Unknown sometimes.

Last week when I PM admin, he's saying they are going to pass this problem to the developers. Hopefully we will have an update soon.
simonin wrote:the same problem started a few weeks ago, i found out until one of my friends mentioned that i am using an unknown number to call her.

i spent whole afternoon to test it, i find FREEPHONELINE service has the OUTBOUND CALLER ID problem with TELUS , ROGERS, WIND CELL PHONE, BELL LAND LINE, for the rest carriers, i just simply had no time to test them, it not means freephoneline outbound caller ID works properly with rest telecom carriers.

at the beginning, i thought there is problem with my box, after i switch box with my friend, the problem still existed. then i tried freephoneline softphone, and X-LITE softphone on my computer(of course, disconnect the box), the problem remain.

in most test, freephoneline outbound caller id works fine, but there is significant portion of the freephoneline outbound calls failed to display caller ID on the other side.

when there is problem, the percentage of failure is variable, from 10%-30% freephoneline outbound calls failed to display caller ID on the other side. in an extreme case, 7 out of 10 freephoneline outbound calls failed display called id on a telus cell phone. it seems, at that moment, there is an outage on freephoneline service.

BTW, i did the test in this way, just keep dialing, see if the caller ID displayed properly.

the failure rate is just way too high for kind of a phone service.

this kind of problem is easy to discover, just keep dialing, you will find the problem.
simonin
Just Passing Thru

Post by simonin »

g4ehonda wrote:simonin - Try changing your prefer codec to 729a seems to have fix the problem, however the caller id will still show Unknown sometimes.

Last week when I PM admin, he's saying they are going to pass this problem to the developers. Hopefully we will have an update soon.
we tried codec 711 and 729 both, both has outbound caller ID issue.

hopefully, the developer can resolve this soon.