Can't connect to login server

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.
ger482
Quiet One

Can't connect to login server

Post by ger482 »

for about a week now I get ( Can't connect to login server)on my whistle account.Wondered if anyone else is having this issue.If i reboot the pap2 it connects but will eventually drop out. Any ideas? thanks
Ice
Lightly Seasoned

Re: Can't connect to login server

Post by Ice »

Have you checked the registration times? If it's set too high, the connection may have dropped. I'm not sure how you're connecting, but if you're using your local net connection, maybe your router/firewall is doing something funny too.
dibsmft
*Go-To Guy*
SIP Device Name: Yealink T22 (SPA3102 GS286)
Firmware Version: 7.60.0.110
ISP Name: Bell-Aliant DSL
Computer OS: Linux Mint
Router: Speedstream 6520
Smartphone Model: Google Nexus 5
Android Version: 3.2.1

Post by dibsmft »

I assume that you mean Whistlephone. If the two line on the PAP2 are not correctly configured sometimes the PAP2 will seem to work just fine until it is rebooted, or the router is rebooted and then the ports will get messed up and the PAP2 will give trouble. Check that you have not forwarded (from the router) port 5060 udp to any device and you have two ports say 5061 and 5062 UDP forwarded to the PAP2 and linked one to Line 1 and the other to Line 2. You need a range of ports say 8000 - 8030 udp (for RTP audio) forwarded to the PAP2 as well and entered in its configuration. Are you running STUN? Try turning NAT Keep alive on if you have not already done so.
ger482
Quiet One

Post by ger482 »

no stun .this is a new problem.I'm running in DMZ so ports aren't the problem,very strange that it is so random.FPL is just fine ,it seems to be Whislephone has made a change?
dibsmft
*Go-To Guy*

Post by dibsmft »

Possible answer:

If you had a US phone number but did not use it it will have expired and you will have new login information (I think). Try going to the website and entering the "lost password" route. When that is updated then try to login again.

By the way,is not a good idea to use DMZ as it completely opens your network to the outside! Shut down DMZ and forward ports from the router as suggested and configure the ATA. If you get problems with one way sound etc. then try running STUN and the problems should go away in most (but not all) cases.
ger482
Quiet One

Post by ger482 »

its DMZed at the modem not at the router.It does connect sometimes , but never had problems for two years before.Was wondering if other Whistle users are having issues.
OverDrive
Lightly Seasoned
SIP Device Name: SPA3102
Firmware Version: 5.2.13(GW002)
ISP Name: Start Communications (off Cogeco)
Computer OS: 8
Router: TP-Link TL-WR1043ND (DD-WRT)

Post by OverDrive »

If it's DMZ'd at the modem, your modem is not just a modem, but a modem router, and you'd be double natting if you put it behind the router (with default setups) - modem dishes out 192.168.2.x, which then goes to the modem that dishes out 192.168.1.x. Also, it would be best for you to log into your modem and turn it into bridge mode, and then allow the router to do the authentication, put the ATA behind the router, and port foward the appropriate ports to the ATA.

I hate modem/routers/and modem/routers/wireless combo units as they seem to do everything, just neither of them well enough.
Adam Marshall
AJ Tek
dibsmft
*Go-To Guy*

Post by dibsmft »

I agree with overdrive. I have a modem/router/wifi from my ISP and the initial setup was a pain and as provided it was definitely not voip friendly but as finally configured it has worked perfectly for years. The other alternative for ger482 might be to have the modem in router mode and run the router in bridge mode but what I would choose would depend very much on the particular models of the modem and router you have.
cu2o2o2
Lightly Seasoned
SIP Device Name: Double-NAT PAP2T-NA
Firmware Version: 5.1.6 (LS)
ISP Name: Rogers Express with SB5101
Computer OS: Win7 32-bit for DV softphone
Router: WNR3500L behind DIR-615C1

Post by cu2o2o2 »

@ger482

I just tested Whistlephone outgoing and incoming calls a while ago and there is no connection problem whatsoever. It is running on port 2 of PAP2T that is behind two routers (while FPL runs on port 1 which, needless to say had been trouble-free for me since the day I installed it). :)

You agree to read my posts at your own risk.
ger482
Quiet One

Post by ger482 »

it is quite strange that after running this setup for more than two years I hit a glitch....go figure.guess will move it behind the router for now and try again later....thank-you all for the input regards Ger482