One-way Sound, Incoming/Outgoing Call

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.
ak947
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: WRTP54G
Firmware Version: 3.1.17
ISP Name: Rogers
Router: Linksys WRTP54G

One-way Sound, Incoming/Outgoing Call

Post by ak947 »

I have used freephoneline for about two year. After a server upgrade (I cannot remember the exact time), sometime it has a problem, especially on weekends.
Sometimes when I receive a call, I cannot hear anything but caller can hear what I said. If I hangup and call the caller's No., again I cannot hear anything but receiver can hear whatever I said.
To solve the problem, I have to reset my ATA/router, then it will work as normal again. Recently I have this problem every weekends. Very annoying, because the reseting takes time and usually the caller call me again and goes to FPL's voicemail.

Does anyone have same problem? Is this a FPL problem?

Note: I am using a Linksys WRTP54G router (with integrated ATA).

Thanks in advance.
Alen
OverDrive
Lightly Seasoned
SIP Device Name: SPA3102
Firmware Version: 5.2.13(GW002)
ISP Name: Start Communications (off Cogeco)
Computer OS: 8
Router: TP-Link TL-WR1043ND (DD-WRT)

Re: One-way Sound, Incoming/Outgoing Call

Post by OverDrive »

This sounds like it's your router's firmware not playing nicely with SIP traffic over NAT. Since I can't find your model on the dd-wrt website as it's the integrated voip device, try looking for an update to the firmware.
Adam Marshall
AJ Tek
ak947
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: WRTP54G
Firmware Version: 3.1.17
ISP Name: Rogers
Router: Linksys WRTP54G

Post by ak947 »

Thanks, I will try to find an update...
bridonca
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Post by bridonca »

I doubt you will find an update, Cisco quit supporting the WRTP54G at least 5 years ago.

For your sanity, I would quit using the WRTP54G as a router. Get a decent router, one preferably able to flash to DD-WRT, forward the correct RTP ports to the WRTP54G, and set the keep alive to 2 minutes, and I believe you should again have stable VOIP.
zakhanz
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: GrandStream 286 ATA
Firmware Version: 4.1
ISP Name: TekSavvy
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: Linksys E2500

Post by zakhanz »

I am having the same issue as AK947. I am using GrandStream ATA 287 from freephone line. Plus I am seeing some degraded VOIP quality as well e.g. when you talk you could hear a "tick" or "a sound like its been cut off but it stays connected" every other few seconds.
I have 24mb download and 1mb upload internet speed. When I am using FPL phone I am not downloading or uploading anything which could eat up the bandwidth.
I like to mention here that just before buying FPL ATA, I have used another service provider ATA, with the same setup and router. I have never experienced that type of degraded quality or one way sound issue. It was simple plug and play ATA. I didn't have to setup any Qos or port forwarding setting.

This is definitely an issue with the FPL bandwidth/system.
Can somebody please look into this and can provide further updates, because its really annoying.

Please help.

Many Thanks.
bridonca
Technical Support

Post by bridonca »

zakhanz: If you are using a stock Trendnet router, I believe I found your problem. You likely need a better router. What model is it?

Here is a good test to check out your VOIP quality.
http://myspeed.visualware.com/servers/n ... erate.com/
zakhanz
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: GrandStream 286 ATA
Firmware Version: 4.1
ISP Name: TekSavvy
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: Linksys E2500

Post by zakhanz »

Thanks bridonca. I have ran the test from the website you have mentioned. I ran the tests with different codecs selected. All the tests came back with A result stating that my VOIP should have a good qaulity.

I am using TrendNet TEW-652BRP router. I know its not a high end router. Since you have mentioned to replace it with a good quality router, can you recommend some good brands/routers models which you might have tested or they work best with VOIP.

Attaching the results from the summary, I wish I could show you the result jpeg.

Jitter measured as 0.9ms
packet loss 0%
MOS Score estimated to be 4.2

Thanks for the help.
bridonca
Technical Support

Post by bridonca »

zakhanz wrote:Thanks bridonca. I have ran the test from the website you have mentioned. I ran the tests with different codecs selected. All the tests came back with A result stating that my VOIP should have a good qaulity.

I am using TrendNet TEW-652BRP router. I know its not a high end router. Since you have mentioned to replace it with a good quality router, can you recommend some good brands/routers models which you might have tested or they work best with VOIP.

Attaching the results from the summary, I wish I could show you the result jpeg.

Jitter measured as 0.9ms
packet loss 0%
MOS Score estimated to be 4.2

Thanks for the help.
If you have a TRENDnet TEW-652BRP V1.0R, you can upgrade it to a stable, working firmware, DD-WRT. No other version of the TEW-652BRP can be upgraded.

I have nasty things to say about Trendnet because I am an owner of some of their products. Your router being a perfect example. There are at least 3 versions of the same router model with totally different innards. How hard is it to switch a model number? Are you surprised they do not have a firmware that works? You could not get worse quality control.

As for a recommendation of a nice router, I think I would lean towards the Cisco E2000, you can got one for $40 if you are patient. I am favorable to any router that can be flashed with DD-WRT. At least with DD-WRT, I know the ports get forwarded to where I want them to, no wonky SIP VOIP shenanigans!