recommended network setup for VOIP (such as freephoneline)

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.
sncbhle18
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: Cisco SPA122
Firmware Version: 1.4.1
ISP Name: Rogers Cable
Computer OS: Windows 10

recommended network setup for VOIP (such as freephoneline)

Post by sncbhle18 »

Hey guys,

The reason that I've created this particular thread is because I was wondering which particular networking setup configuration would you recommend - if I were to get a separate (and dedicated) ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter) and have that device configured with the Freephoneline service (providing if I had bought the configuration file and configure the settings on my ATA).

This is what some users decided to plug their ATA configuration using this layout:
Cable/DSL modem --------> Router (or computer) -------------> VoIP ATA

However, many VoIP providers suggest this configuration (if the ATA has a "router function" (or something like that) like the Grandstream HT502, Cisco SPA122 or the Linksys SPA2102 (which is considered to be end-of-life):
Cable/DSL modem --------> VoIP ATA --------> Router (or computer)

The main reason of that is probably have to do with the "Quality of Service" (QoS) issues. Apart from that, I'm often worried about some of the security issues as well - either if I had my ATA plugged into the router or a cable/DSL modem, there are some security issues that I need to address.

Another reason is that many people use the FPL service - as a fax line. While FPL (and other VOIP providers out there) don't condone (nor endorse, nor accept, nor promote) the use of faxing over VOIP services, many people often "circumvent" (getting around) that restriction.

Speaking of fax, I have an Epson Workforce 520 all-in-one machine. It can scan, print, photocopy and even fax. It's even wireless too, eliminating the need on designating a computer that serves as a "print server".

So, to summarize - which particular network setup would you suggest for a VOIP ATA device?
Jake
Technical Support

Re: recommended network setup for VOIP (such as freephonelin

Post by Jake »

Modem->router->ATA.
If the ATA has a built in router don't use it. I would also suggest getting a router that can be flashed with DD-WRT to give you other outs should you need it.

If you want to fax, look for an ATA that supports T38 and set the fax to transmit as slow as possible. I send faxes with my Brother All-In-One and PAP2T without too many problems. I always keep the faxes simple so there is less data to send - I wouldn't try faxing a full page colour picture.

Receiving faxes isn't really an issue as the FPL voicemail does a very good job of that already and puts it in a nice PDF for you.
sncbhle18
Active Poster

Post by sncbhle18 »

Jake wrote:Modem->router->ATA.
If the ATA has a built in router don't use it. I would also suggest getting a router that can be flashed with DD-WRT to give you other outs should you need it.

If you want to fax, look for an ATA that supports T38 and set the fax to transmit as slow as possible. I send faxes with my Brother All-In-One and PAP2T without too many problems. I always keep the faxes simple so there is less data to send - I wouldn't try faxing a full page colour picture.

Receiving faxes isn't really an issue as the FPL voicemail does a very good job of that already and puts it in a nice PDF for you.
Does the ECM feature has to be turned off as well? Also, is there any special steps that I need to do - after I configure my VOIP ATA with the configuration file that I bought?

I can always refer to this board for further details.

Also, do you know any VOIP ATAs that support T.38?
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

All I can really go on is with my PAP2T.

I didn't do anything special to make it fax, apart from keeping the fax simple.

There has been quite a few threads about faxing in the past. Many have mentioned turning the ECM off, but I can't remember doing so. I think it is one of those things where it might work out of the box, or you might have to fiddle a few things, or it might just dump out on you.

I believe faxing is not really supported over VOIP, but it does work if you get it right.

Try searching the forum for "faxing" - or check out this thread which might help http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=903
sncbhle18
Active Poster

Post by sncbhle18 »

Jake wrote:All I can really go on is with my PAP2T.

I didn't do anything special to make it fax, apart from keeping the fax simple.

There has been quite a few threads about faxing in the past. Many have mentioned turning the ECM off, but I can't remember doing so. I think it is one of those things where it might work out of the box, or you might have to fiddle a few things, or it might just dump out on you.

I believe faxing is not really supported over VOIP, but it does work if you get it right.

Try searching the forum for "faxing" - or check out this thread which might help http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=903
Thanks for the prompt response.

Another question that I wanted to ask is this:

sometimes, whenever I have my particular ATA configured with the FreePhoneLine service, I often get some situations in which I couldn't hear the caller on the other hand. He/she can hear me, but I couldn't hear back from the other party.

While opening ports on the router is just one example to solve that, another situation exists - enabling a STUN server. What's the purpose of a STUN server?
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

A stun server will help to keep the ports open by periodically polling the server. Sometimes it works, sometimes it makes things worse.

My feeling is that if you are having to rely on this this then you might be fighting a loosing battle. You shouldn't need this if your router is working well. That's is just my opinion though.
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Post by Fongo Support »

Jake wrote:A stun server will help to keep the ports open by periodically polling the server. Sometimes it works, sometimes it makes things worse.

My feeling is that if you are having to rely on this this then you might be fighting a loosing battle. You shouldn't need this if your router is working well. That's is just my opinion though.
Hi,

I agree with Jake here. If you read the FPL guidelines- they are recommending to have it disabled:

http://support.freephoneline.ca/entries ... redentials

Thanks,
sncbhle18
Active Poster

Post by sncbhle18 »

Thanks for your suggestions, y'all.

I also wanted to know about something about the "Dial Plan".
If I wanted to configure 511, 411, 311 or 211 services - which particular dial plan I must use if I were to get a Grandstream or Cisco/Linksys VOIP ATA?

IIRC, the province of Ontario has a 511 service (I don't know the actual telephone number or toll-free number that could basically "map" to 511) but that service isn't well-advertised.

Any suggestions in this particular situation? Also, if I were to dial 911 (but only in an emergency to be honest) without specifying
a dial plan for my VOIP ATA that I'm planning to choose, what is going to happen?