DTMF does not work on incoming calls

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.
keithl
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: sipx
Firmware Version: 4.0.4
ISP Name: rogers
Computer OS: centos

Re: DTMF does not work on incoming calls

Post by keithl »

Still wondering if you asked "them" (those who maintain the gateway) if they made a teensy weensy change in configuration since DTMF on incoming lines used to work (March or so). At the very, very least, can you ask them if they made a change and register this as an enhancement request?

Keith
Funkytown
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Cisco SPA112
Firmware Version: 1.4.1 (SR5) Oct 14 2
ISP Name: Cik Telecom
Computer OS: Windows 10
Router: Zyxel EMG2926
Smartphone Model: LG G8 Thinq
Android Version: Android Q

Post by Funkytown »

G.711 (PCMU) will give Excellent voice quality and faxing will always work. Great Job (Admin) ;)
keithl
Just Passing Thru

Post by keithl »

Let me say that I have been VERY pleased with FPL. With minor exceptions and the odd problem, they deliver what they promise and do so very well. I have dealt with Kris on occasion and found him very helpful and great to deal with.

I start with this because I want to make it clear I am not a disgruntled user, I am a happy customer and I will continue to use FPL. I actually have recommended FPL to many friends and continue to recommend it.

My ONLY issue is this silly RFC2833 issue on incoming calls. IT USED TO WORK. Someone broke it in 1Q2010 (see zombie earlier this thread and other references in other threads). PLEASE have someone look at this, as well as the related issue of not offering G729 on incoming calls. There is an inexplicable asymmetry of recommending G729 and having full RFC2833 support on outgoing calls whereas incoming calls don't offer either is quite hard to understand.

I know you don't falsely state that you support RFC2833 or incoming G729, but it used to work (did I already say that?). PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE reinstate it!

Signed
One happy customer with a teensy weensy request.
zombie999
Lightly Seasoned

Post by zombie999 »

I think they did it on purpose to discourage people using asterisk and abusing the service. And rest of us using it for residential purposes got shafted in the middle.
zombie999
Lightly Seasoned

Post by zombie999 »

Funkytown wrote:G.711 (PCMU) will give Excellent voice quality and faxing will always work. Great Job (Admin) ;)
True, unless you are on cable with 256Kb upload. Having G729 support then comes in handy.
keithl
Just Passing Thru

Post by keithl »

I'm bumping this thread to see if fongo has made any progress on this issue.

To recap:

1) Although your server accepts a proposal of G729 or PCMU if the call originates at the SIP client, it only proposes PCMU if the call originates at the PSTN.
2) Similarly, your server accepts a proposal of 2833 (101) if the call originates at the SIP client but it does not propose 2833 (101) if the call originates at the PSTN.
3) two years ago, your server proposed both G729 and 2833 (101) in addition to PCMU if the call originated at your office. I think it "broke" in May of 2010?

Has fongo looked into this at all? Specifically, it is very important to me that I minimise bandwidth (hence I want an incoming call to be G729) and that I can use touchtone if I call in from the PSTN (hence I want an incoming call to include 2833 (101))

I've been patiently waiting 2 years. Any news?

Keith