Porting my land-line phone number!

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.

Porting my land-line phone number!

Postby johnpham » 01/18/2017

I presently subscribe to a land-line based telephone service provider. I also have an active account with FreePhoneLine.ca. To gain confidence and work out the bugs in my ATA configuration (HT502), I "call forwarded" the land-line service to my FreePhoneLine number. All has been working bug free for about a week now, so I'm contemplating "porting" my land-line number over to my FreePhoneLine account.
Questions are:
1. Will I need to take any action with my land-line provider concerning the "call forward" or will the transition be transparent to me?
2. Will my land-line number and my FreePhoneLine number become synonymous?
3. Which number will appear on my calling records?
4. Which number will be displayed on a "called" party's caller id?
5. Does my FreePhoneLine number remain an active phone number or become my account number only?

Thanks
johnpham
One Hit Wonder

Re: Porting my land-line phone number!

Postby bridonca » 01/18/2017

johnpham wrote:I presently subscribe to a land-line based telephone service provider. I also have an active account with FreePhoneLine.ca. To gain confidence and work out the bugs in my ATA configuration (HT502), I "call forwarded" the land-line service to my FreePhoneLine number. All has been working bug free for about a week now, so I'm contemplating "porting" my land-line number over to my FreePhoneLine account.

johnpham wrote:1. Will I need to take any action with my land-line provider concerning the "call forward" or will the transition be transparent to me?

No, let FreePhoneLine do all the work, do not even notify the old provider. Your old account will be cancelled by FreePhoneLine after a successful port.

johnpham wrote:2. Will my land-line number and my FreePhoneLine number become synonymous?

You will lose your land line service once the port over to FreePhoneLine is complete.

johnpham wrote:3. Which number will appear on my calling records?

After a successful port, your old number will show when you make calls with your FreePhoneLine account.

johnpham wrote:4. Which number will be displayed on a "called" party's caller id?

The old land line number will show when you make phone calls from your FreePhoneLine account with the newly ported land line number.

johnpham wrote:5. Does my FreePhoneLine number remain an active phone number or become my account number only?

You will lose your old FreePhoneLine number after a successful port, so if you are attached to it, you should set up another FreePhoneLine account and port to that instead.
bridonca
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Postby flomar » 01/28/2017

I have a line with vbuzzer a voip service too. So I wish to port that vbuzzer no to freephoneline, because I have two lines with freephoneline and one no is starting with 437 and the vbuzzer is starting with 416. Can I port and what are the costs?
flomar
Quiet One

SIP Device Name: grandstream ht502
ISP Name: rogers
Computer OS: xp
Router: belkin fsd75230-4

Postby bridonca » 01/28/2017

You can certainly port a Toronto 416 number to Fongo/FreePhoneLine. As long a Fongo services the area, you can port most numbers over. It will cost $25 to port a number over. If you are using Freephoneline and need SIP settings, That will cost you another $80. After that, no more phone bill!
bridonca
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Return to General Discussions