Anyone else getting lots of odd random callers?

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.

Anyone else getting lots of odd random callers?

Postby pablo2006b » 02/19/2021

Just within the past 2 days I've been getting lots of random numbers calling me.

Some are automated recordings trying to scam me with tax information, some are just quiet with no response...

I just called one back and some female picked up & I could hear a baby gurgling so it didn't seem to be the initial caller as it was complete silence...

I'm guessing someone is spoofing her number?

They all have the same inital numbers ie. 226.667.XXXX which is similar to my number's first six digits..
pablo2006b
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: OnePlus 6
Firmware Version: Android 10
ISP Name: 3G
Computer OS: Win10
Router: Asus Black Knight

Re: Anyone else getting lots of odd random callers?

Postby Liptonbrisk » 02/19/2021

I'm not, but what you're describing is a pretty common situation.

Scammers will spoof phone numbers starting with the same digits as your phone number in hope that you'll think it's a number from someone near you, which, in turn, is supposed to make you interested enough to pick up.
Picking up is not a good idea. They know the line is active and that someone is there who is ready to be scammed. Then they'll add your phone number to a list.

With an Obihai ATA or IP Phone, I just send all incoming calls matching my Freephoneline prefix (I don't know anyone I would be interested in talking to using the same prefix as me) to a message that indicates my number is out of service.

My cellular service makes unknown callers dial a random number between 0 and 9 to reach me. I'm not bombarded that much.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Re: Anyone else getting lots of odd random callers?

Postby pablo2006b » 02/19/2021

Liptonbrisk wrote:I'm not, but what you're describing is a pretty common situation.

Scammers will spoof phone numbers starting with the same digits as your phone number in hope that you'll think it's a number from someone near you, which, in turn, is supposed to make you interested enough to pick up.
Picking up is not a good idea. They know the line is active and that someone is there who is ready to be scammed. Then they'll add your phone number to a list.

With an Obihai ATA or IP Phone, I just send all incoming calls matching my Freephoneline prefix (I don't know anyone I would be interested in talking to using the same prefix as me) to a message that indicates my number is out of service.

My cellular service makes unknown callers dial a random number between 0 and 9 to reach me. I'm not bombarded that much.

Ok that makes sense. Thank you for taking the time to respond. That random number between 0 -> 9 sounds like a great feature.

Cheers
pablo2006b
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: OnePlus 6
Firmware Version: Android 10
ISP Name: 3G
Computer OS: Win10
Router: Asus Black Knight

Return to General Discussions