Fongo vs. 'Mobility for Good'?

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.

Fongo vs. 'Mobility for Good'?

Postby Hermes » 06/16/2021

Anyone here tried both and is able to compare?

'Mobility for Good' (hereinafter MFG) is a low-cost, compared to the usual culprits, plan for smartphone use that I just signed up for. Eligibility is limited to low-income seniors' only.

Price is $25 per-month, post-paid, no credit check, includes a free refurbished phone, 2Gb, Canada-wide calling (I think), Canada-wide texting (pretty sure) and what their rates are int'l for calling and texting I do not know. I got it because of price vs. features (value) and because there are no overage charges (net slows down), you can add data and no small feature for a 'snowbird', I can put the number on hold, I believe it is six months, albeit for a small fee (I think). I do not recall their long-distance rates.

Context: highest priorities for me are value and customer service. I am not keen on these 'blind leading the blind' forums. I like to be able to call a number and talk to a human being, *who works for the company*. Or as a distant second, emailing. Whether Telus does this I do not know.
Hermes
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: Motorola, but getting one more
Firmware Version: Android ?
ISP Name: Unknown (shared)
Computer OS: Android
Router: Unknown

Re: Fongo vs. 'Mobility for Good'?

Postby bridonca » 06/16/2021

This is an apples vs oranges discussion. Fongo is free, limited customer service. Telus offers cell coverage. I have not been impressed with the customer service. I have had to do a CCTS call to get them to respond to something rather simple, because there was no one to answer the phone. Get Fongo first. It is free. Might not be what you require, or it might.
bridonca
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Postby Hermes » 06/16/2021

You found the customer service of which company lacking - MFG or Fongo?
Hermes
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: Motorola, but getting one more
Firmware Version: Android ?
ISP Name: Unknown (shared)
Computer OS: Android
Router: Unknown

Postby bridonca » 06/16/2021

I have not had experience with Mobility for Good, so I do not know if Telus offers better service for them. I have had experience with Telus, and certainly with Koodo and Public Mobile, both of which are owned by Telus. Telus and Koodo were pretty bad, there were many customer service reps that really did not know how to do the job properly. Though polite, most were difficult to work with, and required multiple calls to get simple things done, because that CSR had no idea what needed to be done or how to do it. And that was if you could reach them. Public Mobile is more self serve, but their services are less complicated, and more automated, so it was easier to get things done, because you did not have to deal with people directly.

Fongo is in the same boat. Practically no customer service, but you probably will not need it either because of the simple choices. An example is there will likely never be a billing issue with the vast majority of Fongo customers, because there are no bills for most customers.
bridonca
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Return to General Discussions