Modem / Router problem

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.
dm1a
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT286
ISP Name: Freephoneline
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: DIR-625

Modem / Router problem

Post by dm1a »

Hey, I'm brand new here and have come up with a problem with my new Thomson 784.

My old setup was Speedtouch modem into a Dlink DIR-625. Attached was my computer, DNS-323 NAS, and an Asus O Play media player.

Hooking the same items up to the new Thomson 784, everything connects ok, but while playing music or video on the media player, every 3 or 4 minutes it freezes for about 20 seconds or so. It is obviously a problem with the new router settings (I set everything back up the "old way" and it worked fine). I'm no expert on routers and would appreciate any assistance.
laurent
*Go-To Guy*
SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT-502
Firmware Version: 1.0.1.63
ISP Name: DSL TekSavvy
Computer OS: OSX Snow Leopard
Router: Linksys WRT54GL w/tomato

Re: Modem / Router problem

Post by laurent »

Does the source of music/video played come from the internet? If so, then your problem is most likely a Quality Of Service adjustments. You need to tell your router to prioritize voice traffic over music/videos/everything else so that it can guarantee an uninterrupted stream of data to your softphone while you're making calls.
dm1a
Just Passing Thru

Post by dm1a »

The audio / video is on a Dlink DNS-323 network storage...connected to the Thomson 784 with a CAT 5 cable. Same setup as before, but now I have pausing / stuttering.
laurent
*Go-To Guy*

Post by laurent »

Are you using the built-in ATA of the Thomson device for your Freephoneline? The pause/stutter, I assume it's on phone calls, not the music/video that pauses/stutters?
dm1a
Just Passing Thru

Post by dm1a »

I haven't had my number ported yet, so the stuttering is on the audio / video. Everything is hooked into the router, the O Play media player accesses the movies etc from the hard drive in the network attached storage, but the throughput does not seem to be able to keep up like the old Dlink router did in my previous setup, so every few minutes, the movie I am watching will freeze until the data "catches up".

My band aid solution was to daisy chain the new Thomson 784 with the Dlink 625 with my computer, media player and network attached storaged hooked to the Dlink, and the Thomson acting basically as a modem only, and this works the way it should. I bought the Thomson to avoid having 2 boxes hooked together, so I am trying to find a setting or tweak for the Thomson to allow the data to pass through as it does in my Dlink (stutter free).

Thanks
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

I don't know if this will help you, but I had a strange thing with the 784 I have here.

What was happening to me was calls coming in would take a while to connect through once I had picked up the phone. I will point out I use freeswitch, not the onboard voip ports on the 784. Making calls would be the same, I would dial the number and it would take a good number of seconds for the call to connect.

How I fixed it was to un-check UPnP in the Game Sharing section. http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/games/cfg/?be=0&l0=3&l1=4 I still don't know why this caused me a problem, but it did, and still does when I turn it back on again. I'm sure someone here might be able to explain, but see if yours is ticked or not, and un-tick it and see if that helps.

This probably won't help you one bit, but I thought I would put it out there as it is the only problem I have found with the 784 so far.
laurent
*Go-To Guy*

Post by laurent »

Two ideas:

1) Check if maybe there's an upgrade to the firmware in your Thomson unit. Maybe they fixed this already?

2) Contact their support. Afterall, it's the Thomson device having a hard time moving data across two of its ports. Perhaps they have better ways to diagnose this than us...

One thing I've learned, however, is that I seem to get better success when using devices only for their specialized purpose. My ATA is only an ATA, my modem is only a modem (not even a switch or routers). I have a router that is very good at that job, and so on. I know it sucks for the cumulation of multiple devices on next to the other, but it seems that it gets better results.
dm1a
Just Passing Thru

Post by dm1a »

Tried turning off the UPnP...same result.

My home phone number has not yet been ported, so I had not hooked a phone up to the unit yet, so I did...same result.

Again I'm no expert, but there should be no reason why this should be happening with wired connections.