Where to Sign Up (Freephoneline or Fongo)

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.
PainCourt
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT286
ISP Name: Teksavvy
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: Linksys WRT54GS2 (DD-WRT)

Where to Sign Up (Freephoneline or Fongo)

Post by PainCourt »

First and foremost, I can't believe the amount of money I am saving. Been a user for a little more than a year (home phone service). LOVE IT.

Been telling friends about it. If one was to sign up now, where should I tell then to go? Freephonline (www.freephoneline.ca) or Fongo (www.fongo.com)
Jake
Technical Support

Re: Where to Sign Up (Freephoneline or Fongo)

Post by Jake »

Fongo, (dellvoice.ca)

It is the same, apart from DellVoice has the option to use your smartphone.

When you sign up, use the DESKTOP application to create the account. If you use an iPhone/iPad/etc you will ONLY be able to use that device. Unless you buy the config file that is (or is it? Where does Apple stand on that FPL?)
FONGO_kris
Site Moderator
SIP Device Name: Polycom 550 IP Phone
Firmware Version: 4.2.0.0310
ISP Name: Rogers Cable
Computer OS: Ubuntu 11.10
Router: Cisco E1200-N
Smartphone Model: Samsung Galaxy S2
Android Version: 4.0.3

Post by FONGO_kris »

I'm not one to infer Apple's position, however Fongo's is that if you purchase the SIP config file you are not limited to where you use it with an analog telephone adapter / IP phone; the restriction is purely software.
Kris
Logistics & International Purchasing | Fongo
Call us toll-free! 611 from your fongo phone or 1-855-836-3355
Please advise I will no longer be contributing to this forum for the time being. Please feel free to email me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Samsung Galaxy S2 [GT-I9100] / 3.0.15-I9100XXLPH / Thebyani v3.2
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

FONGO_kris wrote:I'm not one to infer Apple's position, however Fongo's is that if you purchase the SIP config file you are not limited to where you use it with an analog telephone adapter / IP phone; the restriction is purely software.
Thanks for the reply Kris.

I guess what I am asking is (purely for information more than apply this to me), if a DellVoice account is set up on an iPhone, then the config file is bought and used on an ATA, won't that account be used on another, non Apple, device?
If they won't let people use the same account on the desktop application, why would they on an ATA? Or does the fact that the config file being bought from DellVoice null any restrictions from Apple?

Just curious more than anything. To me the whole things seems very strange and a blatant attempt to Monopolize things by Apple. I know this has nothing to do with Fongo, so please don't take that personally :D
FONGO_kris
Site Moderator
SIP Device Name: Polycom 550 IP Phone
Firmware Version: 4.2.0.0310
ISP Name: Rogers Cable
Computer OS: Ubuntu 11.10
Router: Cisco E1200-N
Smartphone Model: Samsung Galaxy S2
Android Version: 4.0.3

Post by FONGO_kris »

Jake wrote:Or does the fact that the config file being bought from DellVoice null any restrictions from Apple?
I wouldn't say it nulls anything, however the restrictions are more so software related (desktop and mobile), which do not extend to customers who purchase SIP configuration and are using it on an ATA device; now, just because you've purchased a SIP config does not mean you are now able to use it on any device - The iOS / Desktop restrictions still apply when using our application. Whether you use another SIP application after purchasing the configuration file is your prerogative.
Kris
Logistics & International Purchasing | Fongo
Call us toll-free! 611 from your fongo phone or 1-855-836-3355
Please advise I will no longer be contributing to this forum for the time being. Please feel free to email me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Samsung Galaxy S2 [GT-I9100] / 3.0.15-I9100XXLPH / Thebyani v3.2
PainCourt
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT286
ISP Name: Teksavvy
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: Linksys WRT54GS2 (DD-WRT)

Post by PainCourt »

Thanks guys! Will go tell friends to go to Fongo or Dellvoice and use the desktop application to register, then purchase the Voip Key to use with their own ATA/phone adapter.