Call quality question..

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.
volenin
Active Poster

Call quality question..

Post by volenin »

Hi,

I wonder if the packet loss I'm experiencing is similar to what the other users of the FPL service observe? Generally I'm getting around 1000 lost packets over ~45 min conversation:

Code: Select all

Duration:          00:41:55	
Packets Sent:      87137
Packets Recv:      124794
Bytes Sent:        1738250
Bytes Recv:        2495880
Decode Latency:    40 ms	
Jitter:            2 ms
Round Trip Delay:  0 ms	
Packets Lost:      1002	
Packet Error:      0	
I have SPA2102 ATA, tuned based on the manuals Kris&Steve been posting on this board (RTP packet size is 0.020, etc). The only difference from the settings written out in those manuals seem to be the 'Network Jitter Level', which I've changed from the default value of 'High' to the 'Medium' (nevertheless, this didn't seem to make any impact to any of the stats - packet loss, jitter or decode latency)

I wonder if there is any way to decrease the number of lost packets and reduce the decode latency?

Thanks,

Vlad

PS: I'm on Rogers 512K upload / 10M download plan
zombie999
Lightly Seasoned

Re: Call quality question..

Post by zombie999 »

I usually have no packet loss at all.

Do a voip test:

http://voiptest.nuvio.com/
zombie999
Lightly Seasoned

Post by zombie999 »

volenin wrote: I wonder if there is any way to decrease the number of lost packets and reduce the decode latency?
You can reduce the decode latency by using G711 codec (assuming you're using G729 now).
volenin
Active Poster

Post by volenin »

Well, interestingly, it's a 'one-off' thing - sometimes I'm getting steadily 1-2 packets lost per 2-3 seconds, sometimes I'm getting no packet loss whatsoever. I mean, let's say out of five 2-min calls made one after another, one or two of them would be with the packet loss. It all occurs within the same registration session.

Might it be the fluctuations in Internet connection quality? The VOIP test shows everything is well within limits, but again - that test has a custom applet running as a 'virtual' VOIP client, rather than the actual ATA box...
zombie999
Lightly Seasoned

Post by zombie999 »

Are you using any P2P file sharing programs?
I had problems with VOIP when I was on rogers, they suck.
volenin
Active Poster

Post by volenin »

I do use P2P, but set extremely tight settings on the QoS of my router - ANY connection other than VoIP is limited to 350K upload (download is not an issue).

Also, when I did the test, it was a 'clean' test - no traffic on the internet connection except for the VoIP.

As I said though, it's a one-off thing. Just monitored a 45 min conversation yesterday, 7 dropped packets and all of them at the very beginning of the conversation (right after the connection is being made).
zombie999
Lightly Seasoned

Post by zombie999 »

it's possible that rogers is filtering your connection due to P2P even when you're not using it. Some VOIP packets get caught in the process.
volenin
Active Poster

Post by volenin »

doubt it - both speedtest.net and voip test (forgot the url) show the bandwidth is up to specs or very close to it.