Gigaset A580IP + FPL, will it works?

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.
nlemay
Just Passing Thru

Gigaset A580IP + FPL, will it works?

Post by nlemay »

Hi!
I'm thinking about buying a Siemens Gigaset A580 IP + the SIP code from FPL.

I'm pretty confident that it will works. I even saw a guideline for this phone on this forum (http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 580#p26976)

But before investing, I would like a confirmation. Is there any known issues between this phone and FPL? Should it works properly?

Thanks!
bridonca
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Re: Gigaset A580IP + FPL, will it works?

Post by bridonca »

I am not going to give a confirmation, because I do not use that gear. But I have been hard pressed to find a SIP device that does not work with Fongo. Some SIP devices are just less tolerant to misconfiguration issues than others.

As for problems, rarely is the SIP device the source of issues. Most problems occur because the router is not very good, or the ISP is not putting out a clean, jitter free signal. But the SIP device or Fongo gets the blame, even though they are just the endpoints, but something in the middle not being up to snuff.
nlemay
Just Passing Thru

Post by nlemay »

Thank you for your reply! Talking about ISP, is there known issues with Bell or Oricom (reseller of videotron network)?

Thank you again!
dibsmft
*Go-To Guy*
SIP Device Name: Yealink T22 (SPA3102 GS286)
Firmware Version: 7.60.0.110
ISP Name: Bell-Aliant DSL
Computer OS: Linux Mint
Router: Speedstream 6520
Smartphone Model: Google Nexus 5
Android Version: 3.2.1

Post by dibsmft »

I agree with Bridonca. Most of the problems that I have seen from Fongo have not really been anything to do with Fongo (although they are not perfect!). In most cases it is no or only partial configuration of the (modem)router/ATA. It is generally not sufficient to plug in the ATA to the system and it it works assume that is all you need to do. To have a reliable setup you must configure your system properly and carefully (you are the phone installation guy!). The Siemens A580IP should work OK, but if I remember correctly, there were some problems with the early firmware that was released in the UK (so make sure that yours is up to date).
Check the web for whether or not you router has SIPALG and its current status. Recent routers should have working sipalg but in many old models will stop voip/SIP communications.
bridonca
Technical Support

Post by bridonca »

I am sure in most areas, these providers do good. I do not believe they throttle anymore, which caused huge jitter issues. But try out this voice test regularly to see if your connection is up to snuff. Best time is 7 pm to 11 pm, when the network is likely to be most congested.

http://myspeed.visualware.com/servers/n ... erate.com/
nlemay
Just Passing Thru

Post by nlemay »

Thank you for the link! It will be really usefull. I will try this tonight.

And I will look if whether or not, my router support SIPALG.
bridonca
Technical Support

Post by bridonca »

What do you have for a router? That is probably easier. I am getting really good at spotting the stinkers.
nlemay
Just Passing Thru

Post by nlemay »

I have two different routers I can use : the first one is a Asus WL-520GU with 3.0.1.4 firmware. My second one is a Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT v24. I would prefer to use my Asus, because it has a better wifi range. But if it's too much trouble, I can install DD-WRT (or another firmware) on it or use my Linksys.
bridonca
Technical Support

Post by bridonca »

I would play with the WRT54G first and see if you get good results. DD-WRT is a known quality, so it is less likely to cause more problems. If that works, try out the other router, as it is has better hardware, and might or might need DD-WRT installed depending on your success. I know DD-WRT does not deal with SIP ALG crap, because it is so flaky. Much better to manually forward the correct ports, of which DD-WRT is really good at.
dibsmft
*Go-To Guy*
SIP Device Name: Yealink T22 (SPA3102 GS286)
Firmware Version: 7.60.0.110
ISP Name: Bell-Aliant DSL
Computer OS: Linux Mint
Router: Speedstream 6520
Smartphone Model: Google Nexus 5
Android Version: 3.2.1

Post by dibsmft »

Looking at user reviews the WL520GU the router seems to be OK in some circumstances but not in others. I probably would not buy one although it is inexpensive. It is reported to work with Tomato firmware but again some claim that it does not (user problem?). The only way fo find out I suppose is to get the Gigaset and try it.
I think the Siemens Gigaset A580 IP is now fairly old and beed replaced by other models. Costco Canada sell sell the C610A-IP that could be a more recent model to consider.
A cheaper and more flexible alternative to Gigaset might be to buy a good ATA box and a set of cordless phones (I have a Granstream GS286 with a Sanyo cordless 4 handset set that works nicely) and possibly a nice IP phone for your office (I have a Yealink T22) for about the same money as the Gigaset. It all depends on what your needs are.
nlemay
Just Passing Thru

Post by nlemay »

Oh, too bad I didn't notice that cotsco was selling the C610A, or I would I bought it there. Gigaset phone aren't easy to find. But I looked at the differences between every model, and except for a better screen and a couple of options, I didn't notice any features really interesting. I think that the C610A has a better handle of the voicemail, but I'm not even sure because of the last firmware update.

I will try everything with both of my routers, and tell you if it works great. But it could take a month before I'll reply.

Thank you everyone!
CSCO
Active Poster

Post by CSCO »

Gigaset works. I have two at two different locations.

580 has been replaced with A510IP. C610 is good one but bit pricey. Get anything you can find and you can add any gigaset handsets to it.

I have S685 base + SL785 + C610H handsets paired together
I also have A580 with A580 handset.
nlemay
Just Passing Thru

Post by nlemay »

Hi,
I just received the phone, install it, and tried a little bit. For now, it is perfect. I've plugged the phone on a 50Mbit/15Mbit connection, and the sound quality is perfect, like a normal phone.

Only little problem, I didn't managed to get the phone indicate if there is new voicemails in my fongo box. This is no big deal, but it would have been great.

I have use these configurations, and it works really great : http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 580#p26976

Next step, I will try it on a slower connection (8Mbit/1Mbit). Also, I will configure QoS or something similar, and then try if the connection will be as good if I download at the same time.
TheHardy
***Übergod***
SIP Device Name: FPL PC softphone (buggy)
Firmware Version: 3.0.3.0
ISP Name: Telus Optik
Computer OS: Win7
Router: Actiontec V1000H
Smartphone Model: none

Post by TheHardy »

nlemay wrote: Only little problem, I didn't managed to get the phone indicate if there is new voicemails in my fongo box. This is no big deal, but it would have been great.
Good luck with this, as it is a KNOWN problem with Fongo/DV/FPL and has not been resolved as of yet (and I would not bother holding my breath either).
Hardy - Surrey, BC ~~ increasingly disgruntled FPL user ... comon, fix your stuff!
driver/webmaster - INCARTA Professional Delivery & Moving -- http://www.incarta.ca 604-594-7126
CSCO
Active Poster

Post by CSCO »

connection speed affects very little. As long as you have good ping and not saturated up/down bandwidth, you will be good. I'm on 768k/13M Telus line. It is most I'm willing to pay for before steep increase in price to go to 25, 50 or 100 service.