FPL softphone - no audio over WiFi

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.
sncbhle18
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: Cisco SPA122
Firmware Version: 1.4.1
ISP Name: Rogers Cable
Computer OS: Windows 10

FPL softphone - no audio over WiFi

Post by sncbhle18 »

Hey guys,

I've decided to get a wireless adapter for my desktop and the reason of that is that I'm moving downstairs to my basement because I have more space to work along with. Anyways, The particular wireless adapter that I had installed is a Linksys WMP600N Dual-Band Wireless N PCI adapter. The wireless router I have is a Linksys WRT54G router.

Whenever I tried to use the FPL-suppied softphone application - I can't hear any audio on the party that I intend to call. I've tried opening a few ports - but that didn't help. I recently got the X-Lite softphone application - but I have to get a configuration file in order to utilise the X-Lite app.

Anyways, I wanted to know on what you had any experiences when using the FPL softphone app - over WiFi. Any suggestions?
TheHardy
***Übergod***
SIP Device Name: FPL PC softphone (buggy)
Firmware Version: 3.0.3.0
ISP Name: Telus Optik
Computer OS: Win7
Router: Actiontec V1000H
Smartphone Model: none

Re: FPL softphone - no audio over WiFi

Post by TheHardy »

You have a popular router ... there should be help available and some configuration information in the thread dedicated to it (search it, or go manually to the working config area!).

Make sure that you have updated firmware for both the router and the PCI adapter ...

So once you do that and check out the config section of the forum for your router, you should be able to have your problem go away!
Hardy - Surrey, BC ~~ increasingly disgruntled FPL user ... comon, fix your stuff!
driver/webmaster - INCARTA Professional Delivery & Moving -- http://www.incarta.ca 604-594-7126
bridonca
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Post by bridonca »

The default firmware of the WRT54G is so awful, that an alternate firmware, DDWRT was made by volunteers to replace it. It is vastly superior to what you got now, and I strongly recommend you replace it. Your one way auid issues are most likely to disapear because of it, or at the very least, you can configure the router to make it work.
cu2o2o2
Lightly Seasoned
SIP Device Name: Double-NAT PAP2T-NA
Firmware Version: 5.1.6 (LS)
ISP Name: Rogers Express with SB5101
Computer OS: Win7 32-bit for DV softphone
Router: WNR3500L behind DIR-615C1

Post by cu2o2o2 »

The default Linksys firmware of WRT54G is not just awful but it is also not compatible with VOIP as it modifies SIP packets in such a way that it prevents them from being formatted correctly and can cause many problems.

The only way around to make the WRT54G work with VOIP is by flashing it with third party firmware like DD-WRT.

You agree to read my posts at your own risk.
sncbhle18
Active Poster

Post by sncbhle18 »

bridonca wrote:The default firmware of the WRT54G is so awful, that an alternate firmware, DDWRT was made by volunteers to replace it. It is vastly superior to what you got now, and I strongly recommend you replace it. Your one way auid issues are most likely to disapear because of it, or at the very least, you can configure the router to make it work.
I've found out that one of my "networking adapters" seem to conflict with the operation - apparently my VirtualBox virtual adapter (that thing is used to do virtual machines in VirtualBox or whatever that is). I've uninstalled VirtualBox and the FPL seems to work okay - for the time being.

In addition, I've replaced my WRT54G with a slightly newer (and better) router - the Cisco EA2500 Dual-Band wireless N router (please don't ask me why, otherwise go ahead). I had briefly experimented with the DD-WRT firmware on my Linksys WRT54G - but there were numerous flaws when I used it (My internet activity went haywire - it's evident by it's lights flashing). For example, whenever I try to do a little bit of bittorrent on one computer and attempt to do another activity on the other computer (such as watching streaming video, etc.), my 2nd computer can't go anywhere at all. If you don't understand on what I'm saying, I've posted the same question on another message board, which you can see here:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/ ... 16804.html

A similar user has the same problem as mine, which you can see here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussi ... ess-access

Even though I followed the proper steps on installing DD-WRT - I still experienced problems. Any other points that you may want to add?
TheHardy
***Übergod***
SIP Device Name: FPL PC softphone (buggy)
Firmware Version: 3.0.3.0
ISP Name: Telus Optik
Computer OS: Win7
Router: Actiontec V1000H
Smartphone Model: none

Post by TheHardy »

Hmmm .... VirtualBox ... that's a new one to me, but proves that there are all manner of things that can mess up VOIP either knowingly or unknowingly! Glad you were able to isolate that and point it out for the rest of us.

As for the WRT being "brickish" and having odd network activity, this is not uncommon either, as you have found out. While my setup no longer has one of these, an office setup that I managed DID, and it turned out that it was interaction between certain other network adapters and the WRT (even with the DD-WRT as you mention!) that caused the weird spikes & high activity. Were it just 'activity', it would be fine, but it certainly seems to make the router go braindead and have extreme lag issues, which is bad, and entirely fatal for a VOIP installation.

I do not recall which adapters in particular had the problem, but we replaced about 3 of them, at least one was a TRENDNET P.O.S. (I am sure that I threw that against a wall at one point before the trashcan...).

Have you reviewed the section for working configs here for the WRT54G? I know it has been extensively covered ... there might be a nugget in there that you have missed. Other than that, perhaps the new router will play nicer with the rest of your network and the various apps you are running ... ??
Hardy - Surrey, BC ~~ increasingly disgruntled FPL user ... comon, fix your stuff!
driver/webmaster - INCARTA Professional Delivery & Moving -- http://www.incarta.ca 604-594-7126
sncbhle18
Active Poster

Post by sncbhle18 »

TheHardy wrote:
Have you reviewed the section for working configs here for the WRT54G? I know it has been extensively covered ... there might be a nugget in there that you have missed. Other than that, perhaps the new router will play nicer with the rest of your network and the various apps you are running ... ??
I haven't reviewed anything in regards to the WRT54G - other than the instructional video(s) on youtube on how to install DD-WRT. Perhaps the instructional video method was likely to play a role on my router configuration going haywire...
As for my new router, it's all good.