Free VOIP, UK Numbers & calls

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.
Mysterious
Just Passing Thru

Free VOIP, UK Numbers & calls

Post by Mysterious »

Hi there,
Any body here know about any service like our great FPL for United Kingdom, where we can get a free UK phone number and can make free in and out calls in UK. (will preferred opinions from the people who actually have used or using that service provider about who they are going to recommend here ), Thanks in advance.
Jake
Technical Support

Re: Free VOIP, UK Numbers & calls

Post by Jake »

I have looked for this a lot, but the best I could come up with is a free UK number close to my family so they only call a local number, and a free then cheap rate to call the UK (I won't put the name of the campany I am using as it won't be fair to FPL). For the free number I use sipgate.co.uk. Either get someone in the UK to set the number up for you or use a UK proxy if you want a normal number, otherwise they will give you a 0845 number, which is fine I guess.

As you probably know, the way phone calls are charged in the UK is different to here, so I don't think you will ever find a completely free outbound calls service, just very cheap ones. A service like FPL would be very handy though!
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

Just as another thought. You might be able to set your family in the UK up with a FPL account and ATA. That way they would get free calls to Canada, and when you call them you will be calling a Canadian number also. That would make it free both ways.

Does FPL allow this?
FONGO_kris
Site Moderator
SIP Device Name: Polycom 550 IP Phone
Firmware Version: 4.2.0.0310
ISP Name: Rogers Cable
Computer OS: Ubuntu 11.10
Router: Cisco E1200-N
Smartphone Model: Samsung Galaxy S2
Android Version: 4.0.3

Post by FONGO_kris »

This last one would work, we have customers in Egypt, China, and UK. All you need to do is make sure you're running through a Canadian Proxy, also remember if it doesn't work you may need to just accept it; since it is out-of-country and we dont know what TCP protocol that ISP as well as the country uses, how VoIP calls are routed, etc...
Kris
Logistics & International Purchasing | Fongo
Call us toll-free! 611 from your fongo phone or 1-855-836-3355
Please advise I will no longer be contributing to this forum for the time being. Please feel free to email me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Samsung Galaxy S2 [GT-I9100] / 3.0.15-I9100XXLPH / Thebyani v3.2