Problem with incoming calls

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.
keti
One Hit Wonder

Problem with incoming calls

Post by keti »

Hello,

We recently switched to Fongo home phone with Fongo adapter and we realized that lot of incoming calls don't go through. When we call from work, most of the time we get silent tone for a few seconds and then busy signal. Our friends say the same. All these incoming calls are displayed in call logs with duration 0. After we make outgoing call - it works normally and we receive incoming calls fine.

Yesterday, i was working from home using VPN and I think i found when does this happen.
The Internet connection dropped for a while, few seconds to 1 minute (my VPN was disconnected at that time, that's how i noticed). After that i was unable to receive incoming calls until i make outgoing call. This happened 4 times and it was always the same. Looks like some property in the configuration of the adapter remained uninitialized after the Internet connection was established.
We have cable Internet with TekSavvy, using their modem.

I also talked to Fongo customer support yesterday and they told me how to find IP address of the adapter and I went through the configuration settings with them - apparently everything was set up correctly. They advised me to reboot the adapter and that will fix the issue, but it didn't. After each Internet connection drop - no incoming calls even after the connection was back.

Anyone have an idea what's going on? Do we need to change something in the configuration?
Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.
TheHardy
***Übergod***
SIP Device Name: FPL PC softphone (buggy)
Firmware Version: 3.0.3.0
ISP Name: Telus Optik
Computer OS: Win7
Router: Actiontec V1000H
Smartphone Model: none

Re: Problem with incoming calls

Post by TheHardy »

This seems to be a major issue (apparently not a problem tho!). Incoming calls should NEVER be missed -- either they should go thru and ring correctly, or terminate in voicemail, but I too have experienced MULTIPLE calls ending in a BUSY signal and not completing one way or another.

Although there is no official problem, there certainly seems to be an ISSUE!!!
Hardy - Surrey, BC ~~ increasingly disgruntled FPL user ... comon, fix your stuff!
driver/webmaster - INCARTA Professional Delivery & Moving -- http://www.incarta.ca 604-594-7126
One Hit Wonder

Post by 15147311509 »

I installed the file freephoneline I bought I phone but I can not receive .... I have a THOMSON ST780 I need help please
CaptainN
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: SPA 3102
Firmware Version: 5.2.13(GW002)
ISP Name: Teksavvy
Computer OS: Win7 64-bit Prof

Post by CaptainN »

I just experienced the same issue again for a third time in the past couple days. I was trying to reach my wife but our fpl number was not ringing (it does go to busy signal after about 10sec). I called her cell and she called me back via fpl phone, which worked, she hung up and I was then able to call her back on the fpl phone. Anyone have a diagnosis of the issue? Is it due to an IP change? Router issue (I never setup any port forwarding since it seems to work fine without it). Would decreasing the registration time help, I currently have 3600 seconds? Why doesn't voice mail kick in? I realize it doesn't actually ring through, so maybe it can't count rings to trip the VM (shouldn't Fongo realize the call isn't going through and have it go directly to voicemail?)

Well it happened again as I was writing this last night. Without touching anything on the fpl end I kept calling and no ring through for about an hour. So the issue managed to resolve itself, which makes me want to reduce the registration time and to see if that speeds up the self recovery. During the outage none of my call attempts showed in the log. Makes me wonder how often this happens and how many calls I've missed so far.

If anyone has any more pieces to contribute to the puzzle I'd really like to know what causes this issue and then a possible work around.
CaptainN
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: SPA 3102
Firmware Version: 5.2.13(GW002)
ISP Name: Teksavvy
Computer OS: Win7 64-bit Prof

Post by CaptainN »

*Update* Seems my DCM476 cable modem from Teksavvy is rebooting itself occasionally causing internet to drop for 30seconds or so. Once it comes back up the FPL line goes dead to incoming calls until an outgoing call is made or the ATA re-registers. So I reduced the registration time from 3600 to 180 figuring the worse case it would only be out for a few minutes. This was working fine until today, unfortunately, as other people are noticing in the Support forum if you use 180 sec registration time you'll fail re-registration and your phone wont ring anymore and go directly to VM. So what is the lowest registration time that can be used?