Cost of FreePhoneLine.ca

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.
MichaelVoIP
Quiet One
SIP Device Name: Cisco SPA122
Firmware Version: 1.4.1(SR5)
ISP Name: EBox/Nexicom 50/10 Mbps
Computer OS: macOS Ventura 13.4
Router: Apple Time Capsule
Smartphone Model: iPhone 14 Pro Max
Android Version: No way!
iOS Version: 16.5

Cost of FreePhoneLine.ca

Post by MichaelVoIP »

Is FreePhoneLine.ca still free? Or is it $4.95/mo like Fongo Home Phone? What is the difference between the two services? I have been a happy user of FreePhoneLine.ca and I would like to set up an account for my girlfriend, so I would like to understand the differences between the two systems as well as confirm that FreePhoneLine.ca is still free. Thanks.
Funkytown
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Cisco SPA112
Firmware Version: 1.4.1 (SR5) Oct 14 2
ISP Name: Cik Telecom
Computer OS: Windows 10
Router: Zyxel EMG2926
Smartphone Model: LG G8 Thinq
Android Version: Android Q

Re: Cost of FreePhoneLine.ca

Post by Funkytown »

Fongo home phone service, $4.95* per month.
Fongo smartphone app, phone number and incoming text is Free in Canada!
Fongo smartphone app text unlimited in Canada outgoing/incoming $1.99* per month or cheaper if you pay for a full year in advance.

Freephonline (BYOD) Voip Unlocked SIp phone credentials $50.00* is still the same price as it was exactly 5 years ago.
Now if your talking about the Freephoneline Software for PC's i believe its still FREE.

Thank You

PS: If i made any mistakes above in pricing details an Employe of Fongo can correct my error(s).
MichaelVoIP
Quiet One

Post by MichaelVoIP »

Thanks. I am talking about making an account for my girlfriend on http://www.freephoneline.ca/ like I did for my two lines I have at home. On the website it still says: "Welcome to Canada's New Free Digital Phone Service". Then, I would buy the configuration file and a third party ATA from somewhere else. Would the service still be free monthly, like my own accounts?

If that service is still free, what is the difference between it and Fongo Home Phone that costs $4.95/mo?
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

MichaelVoIP wrote:Thanks. I am talking about making an account for my girlfriend on http://www.freephoneline.ca/ like I did for my two lines I have at home. On the website it still says: "Welcome to Canada's New Free Digital Phone Service". Then, I would buy the configuration file and a third party ATA from somewhere else. Would the service still be free monthly, like my own accounts?

If that service is still free, what is the difference between it and Fongo Home Phone that costs $4.95/mo?
Firstly, FPL has not changed. You set up an account, buy yourself an ATA and the config file (unlock key) and off you go just as you did before. From then on it will be free (unless you want to make calls to non free areas).

The Fongo Home Phone is more targeted towards people who either do not understand computers/VOIP that well, or don't want to get involved with it beyond saying they want it and plugging something in. The 4.95$ is supposed to be for essential services (like e911 and such) which does not have a charge on FPL. The other thing you will get though is help from Fongo. With your FPL you are left on your own and the help of the forum. With Fongo Home Phone they will program the ATA for you and then also provide help should you get any troubles making it work.

Other than that, there isn't really any difference between them. You get the same sort of number, and can call the same areas for free.
futureshark
Just Passing Thru

Post by futureshark »

ok - just got my linksys pap2-na and now time to get the config file from freephoneline.ca. what do i do after i get the file? i am a rookie and please be patient with me.
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

futureshark wrote:ok - just got my linksys pap2-na and now time to get the config file from freephoneline.ca. what do i do after i get the file? i am a rookie and please be patient with me.
The config file (or unlock key) isn't anything special. It is basically a username and password that enables you to connect to the FPL servers with your 3rd party ATA.

Go through this thread if you get stuck http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=310 which will tell you how to set up your PAP2T
MichaelVoIP
Quiet One

Post by MichaelVoIP »

Jake wrote:Firstly, FPL has not changed. You set up an account, buy yourself an ATA and the config file (unlock key) and off you go just as you did before. From then on it will be free (unless you want to make calls to non free areas).

The Fongo Home Phone is more targeted towards people who either do not understand computers/VOIP that well, or don't want to get involved with it beyond saying they want it and plugging something in. The 4.95$ is supposed to be for essential services (like e911 and such) which does not have a charge on FPL. The other thing you will get though is help from Fongo. With your FPL you are left on your own and the help of the forum. With Fongo Home Phone they will program the ATA for you and then also provide help should you get any troubles making it work.

Other than that, there isn't really any difference between them. You get the same sort of number, and can call the same areas for free.
Jake, thank you very much for your explanation. Now I understand everything.
futureshark
Just Passing Thru

Post by futureshark »

thanks Jake. will try it out and let you know how it works out!