Grandstream GXP2200 IP Phone - any thoughts about it?

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.
sncbhle18
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: Cisco SPA122
Firmware Version: 1.4.1
ISP Name: Rogers Cable
Computer OS: Windows 10

Grandstream GXP2200 IP Phone - any thoughts about it?

Post by sncbhle18 »

Hey guys,

The other day, I've stumbled upon finding one particular IP Phone from Grandstream and I heard that this particular phone, the GXP2200 is the first phone that runs on the Android Operating System. I'm not sure if this phone is supported on the Freephoneline service, but all I knew is that particular phone runs on the Android 2.3 Gingerbread operating system.

I haven't found evidence if the Fongo mobile app will support this particular IP phone. Do you know if this particular phone will support some of Fongo's services (i.e. Freephoneline, Fongo mobile, etc.)?

Here's some information about that phone: http://www.grandstream.com/index.php/pr ... es/gxp2200
Jake
Technical Support

Re: Grandstream GXP2200 IP Phone - any thoughts about it?

Post by Jake »

Looks like an impressive bit of kit.

The only problem I could see for the mobile app is with the screen size. I don't know if it just wouldn't work, be really small, or not just fit properly.

Fongo states this for the minimum screen size
Minimum supported screen resolution 320x480
Where the phone has this in the specs
480x272 pixel capacitive touch screen TFT LCD
I wouldn't like to say if it would work or not, but I would lean on the side of not properly. It also says in the video that it has the "Grandstream Market" (around 1:47 in the video) so you might not be able to find the Fongo App there. You might be able to load it in from an APK file, but again I have no idea if that is possible without having the phone in front of me.

You could always buy a config file from FPL and load that into one of it's 6 SIP accounts - that shouldn't be a problem.

The only thing I would say about it is, the andoid on the phone could be useful, but I am not usually too far from my Desire HD or tablet; so I have an Android device that fully functional, rather than what seems to be a somewhat customized version. So personally I would only get it for playing with. I think the screen is a little too small for being too practical, and you can't really pick the phone up and move it closer so you can see better :D In a business setting I could see it useful for killing a bit of boredom, but that's about it. After all someone who has a phone like that will probably have a computer right in front of them that will be more than capable of doing what the phone does.

IF it had a camera on it (which I couldn't see in the specs) I could see the phone would be 100 times more useful than it is now. Why they have gone to this trouble and then left out video calling I don't know. They put 2 gig ports on it, but not even a simple camera :?
Bloodsong
Tried and True
SIP Device Name: Zoiper| Grandstream GXP2000
ISP Name: Tek Savvy Internet (DSL)
Computer OS: CentOS, Arch, Widows 7, AIX, AS/400
Router: Cisco ASA 5520
Smartphone Model: Samsung Galaxy Ace Q
Android Version: 2.3.6

Re: Grandstream GXP2200 IP Phone - any thoughts about it?

Post by Bloodsong »

Depending on what kind of programs are built in I could see this being a really cool "command center" phone for the reception desk. (Theoretically unlimited touch/soft keys for parking lots, line extensions/forwarding, conferencing etc.) And yeah, with gigabit ports, why not have video? I guess they're just there for pass-through to a computer *sigh*. Theoretically anything Android should be capable of side-loading, but may require additional effort.

I would be inclined to use this with an unlock key moreso than the fongo app though.