DLink DPH540 wifi sip phone + Bell 2wire please help!

Share your tips, tricks and best practise ideas for Fongo services in here!
Timmi
Quiet One
SIP Device Name: DLink DPH-540 WiFi sip phone
ISP Name: bell/sympatico fibre
Computer OS: Linux Mint, Windoze ekspee
Router: 2WIRE 2701HG-G

DLink DPH540 wifi sip phone + Bell 2wire please help!

Post by Timmi »

Edit: I am updating this original post to reflect parameters that have got it working.

Original question: I just purchased a used D-Link DPH-540 wifi sip phone. I have not been able to get it to work with FPL.

On screen it tells me I am connected to my modem-router, but "no service" and "registering" are displayed.

My Bell internet's router/modem is a 2wire 2701.

For the phone
What do I put in for Proxy Port, Outbound Port, Local port? I have 5060 in there everywhere, because i don't know any better.
Here is a list of the settings and configuration as best I know:
Phone number: 1514xxxxxxx (not actually "x"s but the phone number)
Auth.ID: 1514xxxxxxx
Auth.Password: (this is the pwd they sent me in their config file)
SIP domain: voip.freephoneline.ca
Proxy address: voip.freephoneline.ca
Proxy Port: 5060
Outbound address: voip.freephoneline.ca
Outbound port: 5060
Local port: 5060
Reg.Timer(sec): 3600
Codec: G.711U
Pkt Time(ms): Default
Outband DTMF: On

Network settings:
IP settings: DHCP
NAT settings: No nat solution, No stun server
Data rate = auto
WPA-PSK

In my Bell 2wire 2701HG modem-router, I have set up application support and reads as follows:
application name:"freephoneline.ca"
ports: 5060-5065 and 6060-6061, UDP
and then apply that application name to the connected device (you'll see a list of device names of everything that has connected to your router - just choose your phone or ata)
Edit: I just set the phone onto a DMZ for now.
tbrummell
Tried and True
SIP Device Name: PIAF/Mitel/PolyCom/Cisco
Firmware Version: Asterisk 1.8
ISP Name: Rogers
Computer OS: CentOS/Windows2008/Win7/Android
Router: pfSense/Neoware thin client

Re: DLink DPH540 wifi sip phone + Bell 2wire please help!

Post by tbrummell »

Auth ID needs to be your FPL number. Other then that, looks fine, it should at least register once you do that. Your codec selection needs to be, at a minimum, G711 (ulaw) to receive incoming calls. If it has the option, you can select G729 & G711.
tbrummell
Tried and True
SIP Device Name: PIAF/Mitel/PolyCom/Cisco
Firmware Version: Asterisk 1.8
ISP Name: Rogers
Computer OS: CentOS/Windows2008/Win7/Android
Router: pfSense/Neoware thin client

Post by tbrummell »

Whoops, just noticed the proxy settings. Remove it, or set it to voip.freephoneline.ca. Your router should NAT everything just fine, a proxy really isn't needed.
Timmi
Quiet One

Post by Timmi »

Thanks. I'll try that out today. I'll bring it to a public wifi hotspot and see if it works.
I am updating the initial message with your new info.
laurent
*Go-To Guy*
SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT-502
Firmware Version: 1.0.1.63
ISP Name: DSL TekSavvy
Computer OS: OSX Snow Leopard
Router: Linksys WRT54GL w/tomato

Post by laurent »

Make sure capitalizations are followed for the password, as it's case sensitive.

Even though that wouldn't prevent registering, in your Bell 2-wire modem router, you'll need to forward more ports. Add: 6060, 6061.

What do you mean by this sentence: "then a public IP address" ? Your wifi phone should not have a public IP address, but a private one, and the 2-wire should forward the ports to that private IP.
Timmi
Quiet One

Post by Timmi »

@laurent: I was merely reading off the config in my wireless modem, not the phone, in that sentence. (where I had enabled what they refer to as "application support")
Timmi
Quiet One

Post by Timmi »

regarding public hotspots:
the phone didn't work today in a few public hotspots I tried out.
I suppose that if those routers don't have the proper ports forwarded, it's pointless to try that, isn't it?
In there phone there are features like roaming, etc, but is this of any use really?
This is a bit off-topic, but I was wondering because I was trying out the recommended settings today, and figured I'd try it on a "generic" connection that doesn't have any wpa encryption and such, just to reduce the possible variables where things can go wrong.
Timmi
Quiet One

Post by Timmi »

tbrummell wrote:Auth ID needs to be your FPL number. Other then that, looks fine, it should at least register once you do that. Your codec selection needs to be, at a minimum, G711 (ulaw) to receive incoming calls. If it has the option, you can select G729 & G711.
I'm confused: I changed it to G711u as you said, but now I am thinking that what you actually meant was that G729u was OK after all?
laurent
*Go-To Guy*

Post by laurent »

G711u (uLaw) is a codec you *must* allow in order to receive phone calls.
To make outgoing phone calls, you can pick either G711 (good for quality) or G729 (saves bandwidth).

If you can't forward the ports, the yes, you chances of making it work and receiving calls are slim. You'll be able to make calls though, no problem there.

Also note that certain universal methods of NAT traversal, such as UPnP and STUN might allow you to make it work in a network that you don't control.
Timmi
Quiet One

Post by Timmi »

laurent wrote:G711u (uLaw) is a codec you *must* allow in order to receive phone calls.
To make outgoing phone calls, you can pick either G711 (good for quality) or G729 (saves bandwidth).

Also note that certain universal methods of NAT traversal, such as UPnP and STUN might allow you to make it work in a network that you don't control.
I know nothing about nat traversal or stun. Can you tell me more about this please?
laurent
*Go-To Guy*

Post by laurent »

Well, in a nutshell, those two mechanisms are ways for the device to ask the router directly "please forward this and that to me", without you having to do it. The router must support it, and the device too, obviously.

For STUN, you need to tell your device to contact a public server that will help your device figure out how to reach each other. Try this stun01.sipphone.com or stun.voipbuster.com There's a lot more, just search "public stun server"

For UPnP, it's a way for the device to directly instruct the NAT router which ports it needs. You only need to activate the feature on both devices and they SHOULD work together.

In both cases, success is not guaranteed.
curriegrad2004
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: FreeSwitch SoftSwitch
Firmware Version: Latest Git
ISP Name: Telus HSI/Rogers 3G
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: Netfilter with SIP ALG

Post by curriegrad2004 »

SIP is very very dependent on having a Public IP address. Unless you have something that can dynamically forward ports to the phone or have the ports already forwarded to your WiFi phone, good luck on getting this to work at all.

The evil of NAT, VoIP over SIP is definitely going to be broken...
Timmi
Quiet One

Post by Timmi »

Home modem/router has the ports forwarded under what they call "application support".
But it is still not working... I am wondering what else to look at.
The phone config seems fine - everything covered here has been configured in the phone.
Any suggestions or questions, on what to look at, or how this can be tested to identify where the problem is?
Ice
Lightly Seasoned

Post by Ice »

Just to confirm, you now have a STUN server programmed into your phone?

One thing you can try is also setting your phone as the DMZ temporarily just to determine if it is/isn't your router that's the problem.
Another thing you can try is a softphone from your computer to see if it registers ok.
Timmi
Quiet One

Post by Timmi »

Ice wrote:Just to confirm, you now have a STUN server programmed into your phone?
One thing you can try is also setting your phone as the DMZ temporarily just to determine if it is/isn't your router that's the problem. Another thing you can try is a softphone from your computer to see if it registers ok.
No STUN yet, I am not familiar with how to set that up.

The softphone from my computer works fine.
Ice
Lightly Seasoned

Post by Ice »

Okay so I downloaded your manual and took a look... it doesn't say anything about STUN settings so your phone might not be able to use it? Either way I'd still trya nd look for it under Menu, and Settings or Profile. Look in both your VoIP and Network settings and see if it says anything about STUN.
Timmi
Quiet One

Post by Timmi »

Ice wrote:Look in both your VoIP and Network settings and see if it says anything about STUN.
It would be under "Network Profile", not SIP Account. It asks for NAT Solution (where you select STUN, NAT timer (I left it at default 120), STUN Address, STUN Port 3478). Should I change the STUN Port for something within the range that is forwarded in the router, or does STUN have nothing to do with that?
Ice
Lightly Seasoned

Post by Ice »

Hmm... I had to turn one of my phones' NAT timer down to 45 seconds, so you can try it even at 30 seconds during testing. The STUN port is correct (you might want to enable it on the router just to be sure). Your STUN address is set, right? Still no luck?

I think you posted you returned the phone? If so, oh well, we tried! :)
Timmi
Quiet One

works, calls dropped after random min, thanks all for your h

Post by Timmi »

OK guys, I got it to work, so it didn't get sent back. THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!

I will go through it when I have a bit more time, and update the original post, so as to share the settings that worked for me.

BTW, I took out the stun stuff, as I didn't want to be dependent on another server in the process, if it could be avoided.

It does drop calls though, at random. There are already threads on here about that... I'll look into that next.
Ice
Lightly Seasoned

Post by Ice »

Thanks for the update! I'm very interested to hearing what works and what the problem was.