switched from Acanac to Cogeco, need help with ATA

Share your tips, tricks and best practise ideas for Fongo services in here!
speedbump49
Just Passing Thru

switched from Acanac to Cogeco, need help with ATA

Post by speedbump49 »

Hi, I switched from DSL to Cable and have a new modem supplied by Cogeco. My Router is the Linksys WRT300N and I have the Linksys PAP2. The softphone works, my vpn works, my internet works, and on my PAP the Registration State: Online. However I'm getting no dail tone. I'm tried for foward UDP ports 13000-13001, 5060-5061. 6060-6061 and either I'm doning this wrong or its something else. I also tried to put the PAP in the DMZ but that did not appear to work. Any suggestings would be great.
Thanks in advance,
-mw
bridonca
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Re: switched from Acanac to Cogeco, need help with ATA

Post by bridonca »

The first thing I am going to get you to do is to plug the pap2 directly into the dsl modem. The reason for that is to isolate if you have an ATA issue or a router issue. If the ATA works when directly connected to the modem, you have a router configuration problem, if it does not, you have an ATA problem.
speedbump49
Just Passing Thru

Post by speedbump49 »

thanks for the help. I tried connecting but nothing changed. This is a dumb cable modem, not a DSL modem and it does not have a built in router or dhcp service. I'm not clear on why the softphone will work and not the ATA. The ATA worked fine with my old DSL modem which did include a router and dhcp service. I think my focus needs to be to get the WRT300 router configured correctly. It looks like this.

cogeco<--->Cable Modem<---->Internet port:WRT300<---router:WRT3000<----local switch---->ATA<--->phone (registered but no dial tone)
<----local switch---->PC<--->softphone (works ok)
OverDrive
Lightly Seasoned
SIP Device Name: SPA3102
Firmware Version: 5.2.13(GW002)
ISP Name: Start Communications (off Cogeco)
Computer OS: 8
Router: TP-Link TL-WR1043ND (DD-WRT)

Post by OverDrive »

speedbump49 wrote:thanks for the help. I tried connecting but nothing changed. This is a dumb cable modem, not a DSL modem and it does not have a built in router or dhcp service. I'm not clear on why the softphone will work and not the ATA. The ATA worked fine with my old DSL modem which did include a router and dhcp service. I think my focus needs to be to get the WRT300 router configured correctly. It looks like this.

cogeco<--->Cable Modem<---->Internet port:WRT300<---router:WRT3000<----local switch---->ATA<--->phone (registered but no dial tone)
<----local switch---->PC<--->softphone (works ok)
Since cable is "always on" and you connected your modem to your ATA and it didnt work - confirm you have the ATA setup as DHCP (not static IP) and when you switch the modem to connect from your router to your ATA, POWER OFF the modem for 15 seconds. The modem carries the last mac address in it's RAM and will only communicate through that mac. a power cycle will refresh the RAM and you'll be able to get an external IP

If that doesn't work, I'd say reset your ATA and set it up again (after backing up your existing config through screenshots or save page as). I'd be worried if you did this and it didn't work.
Adam Marshall
AJ Tek
zombie999
Lightly Seasoned

Post by zombie999 »

Your problem is most likely that new DNS settings didn't propagate in your ATA properly. Do what OverDrive said and let us know.

If it still does not work, pick up the phone and dial ****. Do you get into the configuration menu?
laurent
*Go-To Guy*
SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT-502
Firmware Version: 1.0.1.63
ISP Name: DSL TekSavvy
Computer OS: OSX Snow Leopard
Router: Linksys WRT54GL w/tomato

Post by laurent »

Typically, routers will push themselves as the "dns server" to all DHCP clients under their control. This is specifically to prevent the sort of situation you describe, a change on the ISP side that doesn't get propagated to internal computers.

If you run this command: ipconfig /all on a windows computer, you should see that on the network interface used to get to the internet, you will have your router's IP address in both DHCP server field, and DNS server field.

Now one thing is for sure, the port forwarding has nothing to do with the fact that your ATA gives a dial tone or not. It gives a dial tone because it tells you it can make an outbound call. The *** suggestion is a good one, you could use the voice menus to confirm that TCP/IP basic parameters are correct (DHCP mode) and confirm the internal IP you get. Then log on the web configuration and more forward.

If you're not too frisky, I think a solid hard-reset would be an interesting step to try, as well.
speedbump49
Just Passing Thru

Post by speedbump49 »

**RESOLVED**

After retrying the suggestion of connecting direct to modem and still finding no dial tone, I regret to say that I found the root cause. The problem was that I had the phone line plugged into port 2 all along. I have no idea when I accidently switched ports, but once this physical mistake took hold, I sadly continued to test and retest with different phones with out ever confirming port1/port2 label. Its a sad joke on me and I lost more than six hours of my evening time and endured two extra days of no phone line.

I'm sorry but grateful to those who took the time to type a response and tried to help stupid me.

Thanks again,
-mw
laurent
*Go-To Guy*
SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT-502
Firmware Version: 1.0.1.63
ISP Name: DSL TekSavvy
Computer OS: OSX Snow Leopard
Router: Linksys WRT54GL w/tomato

Post by laurent »

That is certainly one to put back into diagnostics 101 books for FPL!

Step 1. Is the computer on? :)

I can feel your pain though. Glad you're back with us!