SIP Phone for Iphone

Share your tips, tricks and best practise ideas for Fongo services in here!
Paul777
Just Passing Thru

SIP Phone for Iphone

Post by Paul777 »

Is there a preferred SIP phone that works well on FPL.ca for the iPhone? Essentially I want to take calls on my iPhone when I'm not logged onto laptop. Granted I could set follow me to ring my cell phone, but the call can be free and not use cell minutes if I was on a WI-FI Network. If anyone is using a SIP client on an iPhone, please let me know how well it's working and which client you are using.

Also would I need to buy anything from FPL.ca as far as configuration/set up files for a SIP phone, or could I pretty much buy a SIP client from Apps store and install it and configure on my own?

Thanks all.
Paul777
Just Passing Thru

Re: SIP Phone for Iphone

Post by Paul777 »

I've downloaded Fring SIP Client. It was free and it not only allows for SIP calls, it also capability for multiple chat clients for IM built in so it's versitile (one interface for MSN, Yahoo, Twitter, ICQ, Google Talk). The only issue is what to input as user name, password and proxy. The manual is here and the set up instructions are on page 10.

http://www.fring.com/support/user_guide ... iphone.pdf

So what do I need to input for the following:
User ID:
Password:
Proxy:

Essentially once I have that info, it should be ready to work. Can anyone (users or FPL.ca) provide some feedback on this?

Thanks again.
FONGO_kris
Site Moderator
SIP Device Name: Polycom 550 IP Phone
Firmware Version: 4.2.0.0310
ISP Name: Rogers Cable
Computer OS: Ubuntu 11.10
Router: Cisco E1200-N
Smartphone Model: Samsung Galaxy S2
Android Version: 4.0.3

Post by FONGO_kris »

Okay so all you need now is to purchase our configuration file which would provide you with all of those settings necessary to configure your iPhone as well as an ATA if you so choose.
Kris
Logistics & International Purchasing | Fongo
Call us toll-free! 611 from your fongo phone or 1-855-836-3355
Please advise I will no longer be contributing to this forum for the time being. Please feel free to email me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Samsung Galaxy S2 [GT-I9100] / 3.0.15-I9100XXLPH / Thebyani v3.2
FONGO_kris
Site Moderator
SIP Device Name: Polycom 550 IP Phone
Firmware Version: 4.2.0.0310
ISP Name: Rogers Cable
Computer OS: Ubuntu 11.10
Router: Cisco E1200-N
Smartphone Model: Samsung Galaxy S2
Android Version: 4.0.3

Post by FONGO_kris »

I will add that the freephoneline software system currently runs on Java Technology so an iPhone app will take some time (6+ months)
Kris
Logistics & International Purchasing | Fongo
Call us toll-free! 611 from your fongo phone or 1-855-836-3355
Please advise I will no longer be contributing to this forum for the time being. Please feel free to email me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Samsung Galaxy S2 [GT-I9100] / 3.0.15-I9100XXLPH / Thebyani v3.2
Paul777
Just Passing Thru

Post by Paul777 »

To give you an update.... I downloaded Fring from Apple Apps store (was free) the other night. Fring is great all-in-one interface since it allows for one SIP account and multiple IM accounts such as Yahoo, MSN, ICQ, etc..etc, and even a Skype account. I ordered your configuration settings file and waited patiently, and whaaalaa.. it was activated today. I input the settings into the Fring SIP interface and wouldn't you know it it worked first time like a charm !!

Now I don't have to turn on computer while in the house. I simply turn on the router, turn on the wifi on the iPhone, let the network connect and whaaalaa... I now have a portable phone for use inside or outside the house (good router reaches long distance). Now I can answer incoming calls or make out going calls without being infront of the computer. Can't wait to try this in public or paid wifi hotspots.

Further to this I do have a prepaid VOIP account with another provider (they send .wav file types for voice mail but I digress). The issue is that Fring only handles one SIP account. So do I a quick search on BING and I find a nice SIP product that does just that (handles more than one SIP account). In fact it handles up to 8 SIP accounts. And low and behold they make it specifically for the iPhone. So back to the Apps store and 6.99 later, I have a second SIP client on the iPhone with both my voip accounts loaded and working with no issues at all. The paid App is called iSip and it's made by VNET Corp.

Hope your users (especially iPhone owners) find this useful.
andyhkng
Just Passing Thru

Post by andyhkng »

Siphon works as well.