Caller ID

Share your tips, tricks and best practise ideas for Fongo services in here!

Re: Caller ID

Postby Ice » 06/23/2011

I know this issue comes up from time to time... last I heard it was a "maybe" - it's possible but they'll have to think about it some more. Perhaps they'll comment on this when ready to advise us if there is any progress. :)
Ice
Lightly Seasoned

Postby Funkytown » 08/30/2011

And swing on back to the FUTURE as Private Number now works! Ta-ta, I was told by my brother this morning that my number is now displaying Private! Thank you I'm so happy. ;)
Funkytown
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Cisco SPA112
Firmware Version: 1.4.1 (SR5) Oct 14 2
ISP Name: Cik Telecom
Computer OS: Windows 10
Router: Zyxel EMG2926
Smartphone Model: LG G8 Thinq
Android Version: Android Q

Postby Ice » 09/26/2011

Does this still work for you? I've been trying and haven't had luck! :(
Ice
Lightly Seasoned

Postby coolclay » 06/07/2012

A good solution to the 911 while blocking call display might be to modify the dial plan

for me, *68 unblocks call ID for one call.

The recommended dial plan for linksys is

(911|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|1xxxxxxxxxx|011xxxxxxxxxxxx.|98*|[6-7]x*xxxxxxxxxxx.)

Could it be changed to something like this?

(<911:<*68>911>|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|1xxxxxxxxxx|011xxxxxxxxxxxx.|98*|[6-7]x*xxxxxxxxxxx.)

Now the above string does not work with my obi110 ata, but there should be a dial plan that makes this work.
I am looking for one right now.

I actually stumbled on this issue while modifying my dial string and disabled call ID by accident.
It took me a bit before I found out why all my calls displayed as restricted or unavailable.

This is a big issue because someone could accidentally block call ID and never know that their 911 will not work.

Personally, I on occasion do use call ID blocking. Lets face it, there are some people you just don't want knowing your number.
It is also possible for me to activate it and forget to deactivate it.

Yes, I understand that there are personal protection issues for harassment, but there are also personal protection issues for personal privacy and protection of personal information.
coolclay
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: obi110
ISP Name: telus optic
Computer OS: win 7
Router: telus router

Postby TheHardy » 06/11/2012

On a provider level, calls to 9-1-1 are usually unblocked by default.

I understand that the technology is different between wireless and voip, but my company mobile (a Telus MIKE) has the CID blocked by default. As it is an older network, there is no UNBLOCK that I can do on the handset, as it is hardcoded (I have to call in to customer service to disable/enable it, which is not a "per call" thing). Yet, anytime I call 9-1-1, they correctly read back my mobile # to me.

Remember too that 9-1-1, e9-1-1, 800#s, 900#s do not use _CID_ but rather use _ANI_ which is a completely different animal. :-)
Hardy - Surrey, BC ~~ increasingly disgruntled FPL user ... comon, fix your stuff!
driver/webmaster - INCARTA Professional Delivery & Moving -- http://www.incarta.ca 604-594-7126
TheHardy
***Übergod***

SIP Device Name: FPL PC softphone (buggy)
Firmware Version: 3.0.3.0
ISP Name: Telus Optik
Computer OS: Win7
Router: Actiontec V1000H
Smartphone Model: none

Postby coolclay » 06/11/2012

That might be true for your mobile, but this thread exists because there is a problem.

From what i can see, the reason being is that call id can be blocked by the ata which was the case for me.

Fonego does not even get the information, they cannot pass it on to 911.

So far I have been unsuccessful unblocking using a dial string. It appears that my ata does not process a dial string the same way as numbers from a phone.
coolclay
Just Passing Thru

Postby cu2o2o2 » 06/12/2012

coolclay wrote:

Unless you have tested it and can be duplicated or can provide a link (reliable author please), you should not make statements like this because it is common knowledge that 911 (and others that TheHardy mentioned below) identifies the caller by real-time ANI. No matter how your CID is blocked, when you call 9-1-1 or toll-free numbers, they can see the number you are calling from...AND I am telling you this FROM EXPERIENCE. :)

TheHardy wrote:On a provider level, calls to 9-1-1 are usually unblocked by default.

Remember too that 9-1-1, e9-1-1, 800#s, 900#s do not use _CID_ but rather use _ANI_ which is a completely different animal. :-)

You agree to read my posts at your own risk.
cu2o2o2
Lightly Seasoned

SIP Device Name: Double-NAT PAP2T-NA
Firmware Version: 5.1.6 (LS)
ISP Name: Rogers Express with SB5101
Computer OS: Win7 32-bit for DV softphone
Router: WNR3500L behind DIR-615C1

Postby Jake » 06/12/2012

From what i can see, the reason being is that call id can be blocked by the ata which was the case for me.

I would have to agree with cu2o2o2. 911 calls must be routed differently to normal calls. Even if they were not, you have to log into Fongo with your ATA/softphone/mobile so right there Fongo HAS your number no matter how you block your CID.

Blocked or not, Fongo always knows who is making the call.
Jake
Technical Support

Postby coolclay » 06/12/2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_ ... tification
cu2o2o2 wrote:
coolclay wrote:

Unless you have tested it and can be duplicated or can provide a link (reliable author please), you should not make statements like this because it is common knowledge that 911 (and others that TheHardy mentioned below) identifies the caller by real-time ANI. No matter how your CID is blocked, when you call 9-1-1 or toll-free numbers, they can see the number you are calling from...AND I am telling you this FROM EXPERIENCE. :)

TheHardy wrote:On a provider level, calls to 9-1-1 are usually unblocked by default.

I would have to agree with this, and some people have accused me of not testing.

I have tested with what limited ability I have.

I have to agree that fonego has to receive my account information to place the call, however there seems to be some sort of disconnect between that and my CID as It is definitely being blocked and I even have strange results in my call logs for my frephoneline account.

Now I am no ANI expert, but I'm not sure if ANI is completely aplicable to how voip works
I have a wikipedia link and on it, it talks about phone companies and subscribers and 800 and 900 numbers, but nothing with respect to voip.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_ ... tification

Anyway, I believe it is wrong to use such a system for 900 numbers and such as they are commercial and not in the same essential category as 911. If they are worried about billing you, they should reject anonymous calls.

I can set my ATA to reject all anonymous and CID blocked calls.

I think there should be a solution that makes everyone happy.

In a way, it is better to allow blocking because if someone wants to screen their calls, they have a choice not to answer calls with no cid, sip devices can even be set to reject them. Also, if you answer one blocked call really no harm done and it's not that hard to hang up, but if you call and someone gets your number, they could have that information forever and they could harass you. This could have some legal implications too.

The majority of time, I like to have my Information show up, It is a great service and I use it when I answer calls too, but it should be my choice to do so. Also, whether you block or not, if you break the law, they can track you down regardless.
coolclay
Just Passing Thru

ANI vs CID

Postby TheHardy » 06/16/2012

As others have confirmed, ANI and CID are two different things. They are handled completely differently. ANI is coded into the "stream" that passes the call and arrives PRIOR to the first ring even being generated. The ANI travels on all legs of the call, from origin to destination and all the way along. CID is different altogether insofar as it IS possible to spoof it, remove it, alter it etc, at any point along the "stream". Add ons such as NAME in addition to number are handled in a similar fashion; lookup "dips" are done, and if you are routing your calls thru certain systems, you can 'sanitize', remove or otherwise alter your CID. Prime example I had was in a forwarding test I did on Fongo when DV came out ... calling from a company cell, which has the CID blocked at provider level (not alterable on handset), thru a method of forwarding, I had an actual CID # pop up on another cell phone I was using for testing. A valid CID #, but that does not receive calls ...

ANI is always passed and is hardcoded. It is how billing arrangements are made by various telcos in addition to being the core of how 911 and similar agencies get calling line information; all telcos MUST pass ANI information unhindered ... that is actually a legal requirement in Canada and the USA (and other places I am sure).

Hopefully the "the sky is falling" can be put to rest now.
Hardy - Surrey, BC ~~ increasingly disgruntled FPL user ... comon, fix your stuff!
driver/webmaster - INCARTA Professional Delivery & Moving -- http://www.incarta.ca 604-594-7126
TheHardy
***Übergod***

SIP Device Name: FPL PC softphone (buggy)
Firmware Version: 3.0.3.0
ISP Name: Telus Optik
Computer OS: Win7
Router: Actiontec V1000H
Smartphone Model: none

Postby maverick23 » 02/25/2013

Plase help, I don't have outgoing caller ID from my HT-701 anymore. Everything else works fine.
The FXS port is configured with my number, my name to display, etc. and "send anonymus" is set to "no" and still my caller ID is not being sent.

It seems this has been blocked from your end I have not way to revert this, since it is not even an option in your webpage anymore.

Please help.

Thank you
maverick23
Just Passing Thru

Computer OS: Windows Vista

Postby Jake » 02/26/2013

maverick23 wrote:Plase help, I don't have outgoing caller ID from my HT-701 anymore. Everything else works fine.
The FXS port is configured with my number, my name to display, etc. and "send anonymus" is set to "no" and still my caller ID is not being sent.

It seems this has been blocked from your end I have not way to revert this, since it is not even an option in your webpage anymore.

Please help.

Thank you

You might have disabled caller id via the star codes. Try dialling *31 (which I think is the right code for your ATA) and see if that helps.
Jake
Technical Support

Private Caller ID

Postby Cyber » 06/03/2013

What is the current status on this issue?

I did some test. Calling to a SIP phone shows your phone number but if you call to a cell phone, the number is marked as private.

Why SIP to SIP the phone number is not private?
Cyber
Active Poster

SIP Device Name: SPA112
Firmware Version: 1.4.1 SR5
ISP Name: Ebox (cable)
Computer OS: Windows 10 PRO x64
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin RT-AC68U

Postby Truexile » 10/14/2013

I had to call 911 from my FPL the other week, everything went fine and they had no problems at all.
Truexile
Quiet One

SIP Device Name: Sipura SPA-2000
Firmware Version: 3.1.5
Computer OS: Windows 7 64bit
Router: 2Wire 2701HG-G

Previous

Return to Tips & Tricks From Seasoned Users