Problems with Softphone - Please help

Share your tips, tricks and best practise ideas for Fongo services in here!
zensei
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: Softphone
Computer OS: Windows 7 64bit

Problems with Softphone - Please help

Post by zensei »

I'm new to this, and am trying out the softphone. I have three problems with it.

1) Outbound sound is being chopped up and there's various amounts of static. Inbound sound quality is fine. Tried 3 different microphones, but I'm unsure what the problem is.

2) I can't receive any inbound calls at all. When someone tries to call it goes straight to voice mail for them.

3) Do I have to complete the registration for 911 or something in order to receive calls? The problem with this is, I have no other phone number, land line, etc. I had another VoIP line, but I got rid of it before getting this one. If I had known I would need another number, I would have registered for this before getting rid of it.

Any solutions would be most welcome. Thanks in advance.
Winston
Quiet One
SIP Device Name: GrandStream HT-286
ISP Name: Codetel, ADSL
Computer OS: Windows 7 ultimate

Re: Problems with Softphone - Please help

Post by Winston »

1- I would suggest you to open ports 13000-13001,6060-6061 in UDP in your computer.

2-Mm answer 1 + taking a look to the FollowMe option and see how long you have in "Seconds until voicemail "

3-911 service allow Freephoneline staff to verify that account is valid and it is necessary as well, honestly I recommend you to contact them to verify it in that case your account will be fully completed.
W.S
FONGO_kris
Site Moderator
SIP Device Name: Polycom 550 IP Phone
Firmware Version: 4.2.0.0310
ISP Name: Rogers Cable
Computer OS: Ubuntu 11.10
Router: Cisco E1200-N
Smartphone Model: Samsung Galaxy S2
Android Version: 4.0.3

Post by FONGO_kris »

Winstons' answers for 1 & 2 may fix both your static and incoming calls issue.

911 is mandatory by law and by the the CRTC, that any and all phones that can make outgoing calls, must have the ability to dial 911 and get in contact with an operator.
Kris
Logistics & International Purchasing | Fongo
Call us toll-free! 611 from your fongo phone or 1-855-836-3355
Please advise I will no longer be contributing to this forum for the time being. Please feel free to email me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Samsung Galaxy S2 [GT-I9100] / 3.0.15-I9100XXLPH / Thebyani v3.2
Winston
Quiet One

Post by Winston »

Exactly Kris, that is why I put 1 + some additional paragraph, it is a 2x1 answer that I gave :)
W.S
zensei
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: Softphone
Computer OS: Windows 7 64bit

Post by zensei »

Thanks for the replies guys.

I fixed the incoming calls + going straight to voice mail problem. Apparently my hardware router was letting it through but Windows firewall wasn't LOL. The firewall was specifically looking for data incoming via another softphone, but of course that ruled out everyone else. So yeah, opening those UDP ports for any incoming traffic fixed that one.

I'm still getting static and echos when I talk. I've tried phone several people and they all reported various amounts of static and echo. I'm fairly sure the problem isn't with FPL as the incoming voice quality is fine. The mics I tried are quite old and very cheap, so I'm going to try a relatively inexpensive but "better" mic and see if it helps. Thinking of one from Zalman that seems to have decent reviews. If this doesn't work I may try a USB phone or just get an ATA. Are there any "defacto standards" of mics that FPL members are using with success?

Again, thanks for the replies :).
Winston
Quiet One

Post by Winston »

I am glad everything turn to good gor you, just let us know in case you need our help in the near future. :D
W.S
maanwar
One Hit Wonder
SIP Device Name: FPL Softphone
Firmware Version: version: 2.2.3.0
ISP Name: Rogers
Computer OS: Windows XP Pro SP3
Router: DLINK DIR-601

Post by maanwar »

I cannot get my FPL SoftPhone to work. I do not get dial tone and cannot make and receive calls.

I have forwarded the ports 5060-5061 in DLINK router.

I am running WIN XP Prof. SP3 32-bit and my internet Security program is Kaspersky Internet Security Suite 2010. I also UDP 5060-5061 and 6060-6061 ports on Kaspersky but still no luck.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I have spent 4-5 hours on it by now.

I will greatly appreciate anyones help.
kola
Active Poster

Post by kola »

1. In addition open port 13000-13001 on your computer as well as your router.
2. You don't get any dial tone on a softphone. You just key in the number & press the call button & you should hear a ring.
3. Your softphone should display your free phone line number like 1647xxxxxxx@voip.freephoneline.ca. This mean your status is online & ready to make & recieve calls.