Looking for Suggestion - Need 2 Line ATA-Phone System

Share your tips, tricks and best practise ideas for Fongo services in here!
dommerdog
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: HT-286
ISP Name: Rogers
Router: CGN2-ROG & DLINK N300

Looking for Suggestion - Need 2 Line ATA-Phone System

Post by dommerdog »

I currently have a single line ATA, but my kids are growing and starting to use the phone for longer periods. The FPL service defaults to my cell when busy, but that isn't always preferable.

I would like to set up a a system like this

- 2 Line ATA, one primary phone number, the second line would be only used to cascade off the first line when busy, I don't want the second number to receive direct calls (for simplicity's sake)
- a single cordless phone system that can handle 2 lines

Any suggestion for hardware and configurations that would work best

Thanks!
Jake
Technical Support

Re: Looking for Suggestion - Need 2 Line ATA-Phone System

Post by Jake »

I would suggest you need to look into a PBX which will do what you want, and a lot more. It might sound like a scary thing at first, but it is actually quite simple when you get into things.

One thing I will mention is I believe FPL only gives accounts 3 channels. You need 2 channels for each call so you won't be able to make 2 calls at once. This I believe is the official statement, but in practice I have had 2 calls on one account in the past.

To give a brief outline of what is involved with setting up a PBX you would need either a spare computer or, what I am now using, a Raspberry PI (about $45). You will then load a PBX software and then set it up. Your ATA(s) will then connect to your PBX, and the PBX will connect to FPL.

There is a few people here that can help you with all this, myself included. I just didn't want to type a long reply if this isn't a route you want to go. Other advantages to running a PBX is you will be able to add in other VOIP providers (for both incoming and outgoing calls), as well as having more control over what happens when someone calls in.

As it stands, you won't get a single ATA that will be able to do what you want. Only one ATA (or line) can connect to FPL at a time so a 2 line ATA (like the PAP2T) will not help you in this case.
dommerdog
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: HT-286
ISP Name: Rogers
Router: CGN2-ROG & DLINK N300

Post by dommerdog »

thanks!
bridonca
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Post by bridonca »

with my freephoneline account, My Netgear WGR615V is currently set up to be able to make 2 simultaneous outgoing calls from 2 lines. I can only have 1 incoming call though. The Netgear WGR615V is not an easy ATA to get anymore. But the PAP2 is.

I ended up buying 2 freephoneline SIP settings. It is cheap at $50, and your kids can have their own line, and not have to share.

As already suggested, setting up a PBX is another option. It is a bit of a pain to set up, but the results are worth it.