Setting up FPL softphone

Share your tips, tricks and best practise ideas for Fongo services in here!

Setting up FPL softphone

Postby turk » 06/17/2009

When performing "test" result is no sound. I have enabled ports 13000, 13001and 6060 6061 in windows firewall . I am behind a wireless router , do I need to configure router? Please help.Thanks
turk
Just Passing Thru

Re: Setting up FPL softphone

Postby Krazie243 » 06/17/2009

Where did you open the ports? These ports (UDP 13000, and UDP 13001) should be open on router. That is where you opened them?
Curtis Smale
Student of Wilfrid Laurier University
Krazie243
Active Poster

Postby FONGO_kris » 06/18/2009

I would strongly suggest that your ATA be behind your wireless router as it already is to avoid any confusion.

The problem is that most modems you but - including ours - only have one ethernet port in the back as well as DSL and power, this would mean if you were to use an ATA <i>and</i> a wireless router with the same connection it would look something like this.

INTERNET > MODEM > WIRELESS ROUTER > ATA

Putting your ATA behind the modem is only helpful, and possible, if you have your modem plugged into the wall, then your wireless router set up in bridge mode connected to the ATA.

If you have any further questions don't hesitate to call our support team.
Kris
Logistics & International Purchasing | Fongo
Call us toll-free! 611 from your fongo phone or 1-855-836-3355
Please advise I will no longer be contributing to this forum for the time being. Please feel free to email me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Samsung Galaxy S2 [GT-I9100] / 3.0.15-I9100XXLPH / Thebyani v3.2
FONGO_kris
Site Moderator

SIP Device Name: Polycom 550 IP Phone
Firmware Version: 4.2.0.0310
ISP Name: Rogers Cable
Computer OS: Ubuntu 11.10
Router: Cisco E1200-N
Smartphone Model: Samsung Galaxy S2
Android Version: 4.0.3

Postby turk » 06/18/2009

Krazie243 wrote:Where did you open the ports? These ports (UDP 13000, and UDP 13001) should be open on router. That is where you opened them?

I opened them in the Windows firewall.
How would I open them in the Router (Netgear WNR834B)
Thanks
turk
Just Passing Thru

If you can't find out how to log into your Router (on the SpeedTouch 516, 546, and 780 it's speedtouch.lan or 192.168.1.254)

So I would assume your modem would be something similar, open the command prompt and Run as Administrator if it's Vista, if XP just run normally - Type ipconfig, and where it says:

Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.XXX

Type the default gateway into your web browsers Address Bar and if you successfully log into it, the passwords are usually as follows:

User: Administrator
Pass: no password

OR

User: admin
Pass: admin

OR

User: tech
Pass: tech

if you can't get in, just contact your routers support team and tell them you need UDP Ports 5060, 5061 + 13000, 13001 opened!

Thanks
Kris
Please advise I will no longer be contributing to this forum for the time being. Please feel free to email me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FONGO_kris
Site Moderator

Postby turk » 06/18/2009

I can log into router but the settings are port trigger/port forwarding see below help notes:
Port Forwarding / Port Triggering Help
Port Triggering is an advanced feature that can be used for gaming and other internet applications. Port Forwarding can typically be used to enable similar functionality, but it is static and has some limitations.

Port Triggering opens an incoming port temporarily and does not require the server on the Internet to track your IP address if it is changed by DHCP, for example.

Port Triggering monitors outbound traffic. When the router detects traffic on the specified outbound port, it remembers the IP address of the computer that sent the data and "triggers" the incoming port. Incoming traffic on the triggered port is then forwarded to the triggering computer.

Using the Port Forwarding / Port Triggering page, you can make local computers or servers available to the Internet for different services (for example, FTP or HTTP), to play Internet games (like Quake III), or to use Internet applications (like CUseeMe).

Port Forwarding is designed for FTP, Web Server or other server based services. Once port forwarding is set up, requests from the Internet will be forwarded to the proper server.

Port triggering will only allow requests from the Internet after a designated port is 'triggered'. Port triggering applies to chat and Internet games.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Port Forwarding

For the services, applications, or games, that already exist in the pull-down list, you'll only need to specify the computer's IP address. Otherwise, the port number and computer's IP address for each service, game or application should be specified by clicking the Add Custom Service button.

Port Assignment

You may make up to 20 different port assignments for Internet services, applications or games. In the Service Name lists, you'll be able to select a service, an application or a game. If you don't see an item that you want to use in any of the lists, check with the software or game developer for the correct port numbers to use.

For Internet Services

Before starting, you'll need to determine which type of services you'll provide and the IP address of the computer that will provide those services. The most common services you would provide are a Web (HTTP) server or FTP server.

To set up a computer or server to be accessible to the Internet for an Internet service:

Select the Internet service you want to use from the Service Name list.
Type the IP address of the computer in the Server IP Address box.
Click Add.
Note: You may have a single computer or server available for more than one type of service. To do that, select another service, and type the same IP address for that computer or server.

For Internet Games or Applications

Before starting, you'll need to know which service, application or game you'll be configuring. Also, you'll need to have the IP address for the computer that you want to use.

To set up a computer to play Internet games or use Internet applications:

Select the Internet application or game you want to use from one of the relevant lists.
The Start Port and End Port boxes are filled in.
Note: If you can't find the game or application you want in one of the lists, click Add Custom Service button, and type the Service Name, Starting Port, Ending Port, and Server IP Address information.
Type the IP address of the computer in the Server IP Address box.
Click Add.
To set up an additional computer to play, for example Hexen II or KALI:

Click the Add Custom Service button.

KGermann wrote:If you can't find out how to log into your Router (on the SpeedTouch 516, 546, and 780 it's speedtouch.lan or 192.168.1.254)

So I would assume your modem would be something similar, open the command prompt and Run as Administrator if it's Vista, if XP just run normally - Type ipconfig, and where it says:

Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.XXX

Type the default gateway into your web browsers Address Bar and if you successfully log into it, the passwords are usually as follows:

User: Administrator
Pass: no password

OR

User: admin
Pass: admin

OR

User: tech
Pass: tech

if you can't get in, just contact your routers support team and tell them you need UDP Ports 5060, 5061 + 13000, 13001 opened!

Thanks
turk
Just Passing Thru

Okay Turk,

Port Forward UDP Ports 13000, and 13001 and make them trigger an SMTP port such as 1024 or 22 that should do the trick, if it's grainy or slow try a port BELOW 1024, look for open ports used for high traffic use (google search XBox 360 ports) or something they should be good!

Thanks
Kris
FONGO_kris
Site Moderator

Return to Tips & Tricks From Seasoned Users