Fax support?

Share your tips, tricks and best practise ideas for Fongo services in here!
godot2012
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: GrandStream ATA
Firmware Version: Fongo shipped
ISP Name: 295.ca
Computer OS: WIN 7
Router: NETGEAR DB WNDR4000
Smartphone Model: Nexus4
Android Version: 4.3

Fax support?

Post by godot2012 »

Can I connect a Y phone jack to my ATA and share the VoIP line between my phone and Fax machine?
TheHardy
***Übergod***
SIP Device Name: FPL PC softphone (buggy)
Firmware Version: 3.0.3.0
ISP Name: Telus Optik
Computer OS: Win7
Router: Actiontec V1000H
Smartphone Model: none

Re: Fax support?

Post by TheHardy »

godot2012 wrote:Can I connect a Y phone jack to my ATA and share the VoIP line between my phone and Fax machine?
Why not? Once you have a working ATA, what you plug into it is up to you. Just know that FOIP may be hit and miss at best! :-)
Hardy - Surrey, BC ~~ increasingly disgruntled FPL user ... comon, fix your stuff!
driver/webmaster - INCARTA Professional Delivery & Moving -- http://www.incarta.ca 604-594-7126
Bloodsong
Tried and True
SIP Device Name: Zoiper| Grandstream GXP2000
ISP Name: Tek Savvy Internet (DSL)
Computer OS: CentOS, Arch, Widows 7, AIX, AS/400
Router: Cisco ASA 5520
Smartphone Model: Samsung Galaxy Ace Q
Android Version: 2.3.6

Post by Bloodsong »

TheHardy wrote:
godot2012 wrote:Can I connect a Y phone jack to my ATA and share the VoIP line between my phone and Fax machine?
Why not? Once you have a working ATA, what you plug into it is up to you. Just know that FOIP may be hit and miss at best! :-)
+1

Heck you can even disconnect Bell from the Demarc and plug your ATA into the wall multiply out all of your old phone jacks. (If you're on DSL you'll have to terminate a line off the Bell side of the Demarc for your modem.)

EDIT: Like Hardy said... Fax over IP... not fun, search other topics in this forum for details.
godot2012
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: GrandStream ATA
Firmware Version: Fongo shipped
ISP Name: 295.ca
Computer OS: WIN 7
Router: NETGEAR DB WNDR4000
Smartphone Model: Nexus4
Android Version: 4.3

Post by godot2012 »

I have DSL, so I have ever to be careful. But it is not a problem I I am an old phone guy. I am keeping the active pair, as I have to, and "back wire" (??) the unused pair in the phone cable to connect all existing outlets in the house to the phone connection of the ATA. (Hate to see the confusion of themes owner (Bell guy?) if I ever sell my house!)

The reason I asked the question was to find out if there is any load limit (number of POTS phones connected) of the ATA. I have a 3 phone Panasonic wireless, a couple of POTS phones plus my printer/fax machine. These (all wired parallel) create a passive load, ring load and talk load on the phone port of thee ATA.