Touch tone issues

Share your tips, tricks and best practise ideas for Fongo services in here!
vlasko29
Just Passing Thru
ISP Name: Bell
Computer OS: Vista

Touch tone issues

Post by vlasko29 »

Following up on the previous posts

How do I activate DTMF on softphone? http://forum.freephoneline.ca/viewtopic ... t=155#p609
Soft Client doesn't pass DTMF tones after connect http://forum.freephoneline.ca/viewtopic ... t=128#p495

Basically the symptoms that I am experiencing - any pressing of a dial pad button while the call is in progress generates a spike in CPU utilization and effectively freezes up the app for about 10 sec....after that the call resumes.

:?: :?: :?:
FONGO_kris
Site Moderator
SIP Device Name: Polycom 550 IP Phone
Firmware Version: 4.2.0.0310
ISP Name: Rogers Cable
Computer OS: Ubuntu 11.10
Router: Cisco E1200-N
Smartphone Model: Samsung Galaxy S2
Android Version: 4.0.3

Re: Touch tone issues

Post by FONGO_kris »

I would recommend unistalling the Software phone completely, restarting PC, then uninstall Java, restart, then continue installing the newest version of Java and the software phone. Some time in between there you should do a Windows and Microsoft update to ensure your PC is fully up to date.

This sounds like a JAVA issue, and NOT our software issue, since we have hundreds of thousands of customers using it every day and have had no complains regarding this CPU Spike whatsoever in the 4 years we've been active.

DTMF is already active on the software phone, try changing in to TONE under settings, make sure UDP ports 13,000 and 13,001 are open on your router as well as Windows Firewall.
Kris
Logistics & International Purchasing | Fongo
Call us toll-free! 611 from your fongo phone or 1-855-836-3355
Please advise I will no longer be contributing to this forum for the time being. Please feel free to email me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Samsung Galaxy S2 [GT-I9100] / 3.0.15-I9100XXLPH / Thebyani v3.2
vlasko29
Just Passing Thru

Post by vlasko29 »

admin wrote:we have hundreds of thousands of customers using it every day and have had no complains regarding this CPU Spike whatsoever in the 4 years we've been active
I wonder how many of them are looking at the Performance tab of the Task Manager at the same time as they are using the software ;) Most people (myself included initially) would probably just say that the app freezes

So in any case I went through a complete uninstall/reinstall, with absolutely identical results. Everything's open and turned on, but it still freezes up.

My impression of using the FPL client in comparison with Zoiper/X-lite/Vbuzzer clients is that it's seems a bit unstable ;) :
  • touch tones issue

sometimes the number dialed is displayed as you dial it, sometimes not

on an outgoing call sometimes the phone rings as if there's an incoming call

most of the time when the call is connected there's a chime, but sometimes not

very good incoming audio quality, but poor outgoing audio

more RAM intensive (30 MB vs about 7 for other clients)
I wonder why you guys didn't just license a customized client from the above-mentioned companies, instead of trying to build one from scratch...even their free apps seem to offer many advanced features...just sayin' :D

Don't get me wrong, this is still a super-duper deal, so we love ya :D
FONGO_kris
Site Moderator
SIP Device Name: Polycom 550 IP Phone
Firmware Version: 4.2.0.0310
ISP Name: Rogers Cable
Computer OS: Ubuntu 11.10
Router: Cisco E1200-N
Smartphone Model: Samsung Galaxy S2
Android Version: 4.0.3

Post by FONGO_kris »

touch tones issue
- This is almost always port forwarding, or ata settings.

sometimes the number dialled is displayed as you dial it, sometimes not
- Not sure at all what you mean by this, number "dialled"

on an outgoing call sometimes the phone rings as if there's an incoming call
- Call waiting settings...

most of the time when the call is connected there's a chime, but sometimes not
- Default audio devices in Windows, SIP to SIP sometimes doesn't, this is a bug we are aware of.

very good incoming audio quality, but poor outgoing audio
- Port forwading, firewall, hardware configuration, QoS, DMZ.

more RAM intensive (30 MB vs about 7 for other clients)
- Only explanation, is that we've been around for 4 years perfecting our product as best we can. Others have 10 - 15 years of experience or... A service you pay for...
Kris
Logistics & International Purchasing | Fongo
Call us toll-free! 611 from your fongo phone or 1-855-836-3355
Please advise I will no longer be contributing to this forum for the time being. Please feel free to email me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Samsung Galaxy S2 [GT-I9100] / 3.0.15-I9100XXLPH / Thebyani v3.2
vlasko29
Just Passing Thru

Post by vlasko29 »

admin wrote:touch tones issue
- This is almost always port forwarding, or ata settings.
I have manually opened the ports on the router, and there's no ATA, just the softphone. In any case how can the ports on the router cause the app to freeze due to a spike in CPU utilization?
admin wrote: sometimes the number dialled is displayed as you dial it, sometimes not
- Not sure at all what you mean by this, number "dialled"
What I mean is that as you dial (press the number buttons on the virtual keypad), the corresponding number is supposed to be displayed in the window of the softphone. Sometimes it is not.
admin wrote: on an outgoing call sometimes the phone rings as if there's an incoming call
- Call waiting settings...
What call waiting? For clarity, the issue is that sometimes the sound produced by the app while an outgoing call is ringing is that of an incoming call.
admin wrote: most of the time when the call is connected there's a chime, but sometimes not
- Default audio devices in Windows, SIP to SIP sometimes doesn't, this is a bug we are aware of.
OK, not a big deal, hopefully will be fixed
admin wrote: very good incoming audio quality, but poor outgoing audio
- Port forwading, firewall, hardware configuration, QoS, DMZ.
Port forwarding - check
Firewall - check
Hardware config - ? please clarify. I have a built in mic, but also use a headset. When I connect a headset (not USB, regular jacks) I get a Sigma Tel pop-up that prompts me to select what I've just connected to what jack. Other VioP apps allow me to explicitly select the incoming audio source (built-in mic or extermal mic). No issues with other VoIP apps. In any case outgoing audio is choppy / interrupted, which is probably not because it's picked up from the wrong audio source.
QoS - I am using a Bell-supplied 2Wire modem/router, no QoS settings that i am aware of
DMZ - none configured AFAIK
admin wrote: more RAM intensive (30 MB vs about 7 for other clients)
- Only explanation, is that we've been around for 4 years perfecting our product as best we can. Others have 10 - 15 years of experience or... A service you pay for...
Not a big issue in and of itself, but just seems consistent with my experience that the FPL app is a bit rough around the edges. So why not use a free app that's proven and stable as your platform?