Calling party can not hear me

Share your tips, tricks and best practise ideas for Fongo services in here!
godot2012
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: GrandStream ATA
Firmware Version: Fongo shipped
ISP Name: 295.ca
Computer OS: WIN 7
Router: NETGEAR DB WNDR4000
Smartphone Model: Nexus4
Android Version: 4.3

Calling party can not hear me

Post by godot2012 »

After rejigging my home setup, used the shortest phone cord for the modem I could find and added a UPS to support my system my home phone worked so good for many weeks that I figured I am ready to cut Ma Bell off...

That was until I came home last night from work and my wife was fuming. She has received a call and while she could hear the caller the caller could not hear her. I had this problem before - this resulted in the suggestion to get the shortest phone cord.

Indeed when I called my Fongo number from my Bell phone the same thing happened. I could hear myself talking into Bell phone on the Fongo phone, but the Bell phone was "deaf". To check if there was any outgoing voice from my Fongo phone I called my own voice mail box. No problem. I could sign on, manipulate my voice response - change my grating - just fine. If I did not pick up the incoming call on the Fongo phone, I could even leave a voice mail from my Bell phone on my Fongo voice mailbox. Which I could pick up from my Fongo phone by dialing the voice mail number. So hear my diagnosis; based on these test something was broken between the Bell network and the Fongo service on the Internet. I would think that calling another Fongo phone would have worked fine, since the call would not have to leave the Internet. The problem was ultimately solved by lots of fiddling and resetting the modem, the router and the ATA. The phone now works OK.

But I am not happy. Surely this recurring problem can be analyzed and solved once and for all. I can't stop wondering if this is a Fongo (free phone) issue or do the users who pay for VoIP services have similar problems.
magdave
Just Passing Thru

Re: Calling party can not hear me

Post by magdave »

we are having the same problem. we can call out no problem, but if someone calls us they can't hear us talking. how did you fix it. I have unplugged the router and ATA.
seagame2001
Tried and True
SIP Device Name: Linksys PAP2T
Firmware Version: Groundwire
ISP Name: 3web
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: Dlink-DD-WRT
Smartphone Model: iPhone 4
iOS Version: 5.1.1

Post by seagame2001 »

I have the same problem but it fixed now
TKS
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: Grandstream 701
ISP Name: Rogers
Computer OS: Windows XP
Router: D-Link 601

Post by TKS »

HOW did you fix this? There are at least 2 other threads on this topic, and solutions include:
- turing off STUN server
- using STUN server and NAT Traversal
- turning off some other flags on Grandstream ATA
- opening some ports on the router
-...etc...

but there is no conclusive solution or diaagnosis of this problem. Can you share HOW you solved the problem? Provide specifics, which settings you changed, how did you reboot the devices (hard or soft reboot, which order) and other such details. We need to figure it out for all users. i am still having this problem, after 1 day of phone working well, just today I got 2 calls and I could not hear the caller. This is very annoying and embarassing.

Please help.