Forwarding Calls to US number

Share your tips, tricks and best practise ideas for Fongo services in here!
Scirocco53
Just Passing Thru
Computer OS: XP Pro

Forwarding Calls to US number

Post by Scirocco53 »

I am trying to enter my US cell phone number for my follow me number, but am getting a message that the number is not valid. I purchased $5 credit, but am still getting the same result. What am I doing wrong?
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Re: Forwarding Calls to US number

Post by Fongo Support »

Scirocco53 wrote:I am trying to enter my US cell phone number for my follow me number, but am getting a message that the number is not valid. I purchased $5 credit, but am still getting the same result. What am I doing wrong?
Hi there,

This is not possible at this time. Please refer to the below:

http://support.fongo.com/entries/228643 ... ing-Cities

Thanks,
Scirocco53
Just Passing Thru
Computer OS: XP Pro

Post by Scirocco53 »

I really need this functionality, and specifically ported my number from Rogers to be able to do this. Is there another way that this can be done?
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

The only way I can think of doing this is by setting up a PBX at your home and doing the forwarding there, or using an online PBX service like pbxes.org. For either of these options you would need to have bought the unlock key from FPL, so a Fongo account would be no good.

Other than that you will have to look for another company that will port your number in and offer call forwarding to a US destination.
jacobsmith
Just Passing Thru

Post by jacobsmith »

Just curious...can you use the unlock key for SIP to forward calls to a 1-800 number?
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

Trying to forward a call using the Fongo admin is pretty restricted. You can only forward to Canadian numbers, and the number can only be in the system once. If you try to forward the call from within an ATA usually results in the call just being sent to voicemail. You 'may' run into difficulty also as you only get 2 channels per account, but I can't say for sure as I haven't tested this in a while.

If you have a PBX at home, then things get a LOT more flexible, especially if you have two accounts. With a PBX you can start getting creative with call forwarding, even using different providers to forward the call should you need to send the call overseas.

As it stands, you can't forward to a 1-800 number, and buying the unlock key won't help with that. If you really need to forward the call to a 1-800 number, then looking into a PBX is probably the best option. I just recently set up a PBX on a Raspberry Pi which cost me about $40.
jacobsmith
Just Passing Thru

Post by jacobsmith »

Jake wrote:Trying to forward a call using the Fongo admin is pretty restricted. You can only forward to Canadian numbers, and the number can only be in the system once. If you try to forward the call from within an ATA usually results in the call just being sent to voicemail. You 'may' run into difficulty also as you only get 2 channels per account, but I can't say for sure as I haven't tested this in a while.

If you have a PBX at home, then things get a LOT more flexible, especially if you have two accounts. With a PBX you can start getting creative with call forwarding, even using different providers to forward the call should you need to send the call overseas.

As it stands, you can't forward to a 1-800 number, and buying the unlock key won't help with that. If you really need to forward the call to a 1-800 number, then looking into a PBX is probably the best option. I just recently set up a PBX on a Raspberry Pi which cost me about $40.
Thanks for the info. I believe I have a Linksys PAP2-NA in my closet somewhere. I'll see if it will work and post the results..

I haven't tried PBX. Don't know much about it. Is there a cheap little unit you can buy like the Linksys PAP2-NA with little programming?
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

By all means try the ATA, but I am sure others have said it just sends the calls to voicemail if you try and forward a call internally.

As I mentioned, a PBX can be set up fairly easily. Any old computer will do but what I switched to was a Raspberry Pi (http://canada.newark.com/raspberry-pi/r ... aspi-group) which is just a very mini computer. You will need to add in a SD card and a power supply, but I had a 8GB card laying around and the power supply was from an old mobile phone. I didn't bother with a case as it sits quite happily on the shelf int eh basement. So for about $50 I was able to free up a computer which pleased one of my daughters. If you do have an old computer kicking around there are simple install instructions for many PBX systems. There are a few people using them on the forum so there is lots of help around if you get stuck.