Why is internet range less/weaker for Fongo?

Here you can post your own working configurations of hardware or software to share with other users who may be using the same device!
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo
Forum rules
DISCLAIMER
This forum is for those users who have already purchased a configuration file with the SIP settings needed to configure any SIP compatible device.

1. Please use this forum only as a means to share your configuration advice and guides for ATA devices and SIP clients that you are using with our service.
2. For any questions relating to device configuration, please use the other forum sections or post your question directly in the device topic that your question is meant for.
3. Please title your topics with only the name and model of your device so users can easily find the information they need.
4. Preferable format for posting here is compressing your screenshots of your successfully configured device into a .zip file, and post a brief description of the configuration.

Please stay on topic

Why is internet range less/weaker for Fongo?

Postby Daryl » 12/23/2014

I think Fongo is great...but I can only use it close to my wifi router. Whereas, I can watch a netflix movie at the other end of my home from the router (usually without much interruption). Should I consider that phone option with Fongo?
Daryl
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: iphone
Router: Sagemcom Fast 5250

Re: Why is internet range less/weaker for Fongo?

Postby bridonca » 12/23/2014

When you are too far away from the router, you lose a much higher percentage of data packets. The reason that you do not notice it much with Netflix is because the data is buffered for probably around 30 seconds. If you do lose packets, Netflix requests them again and they are resent. Because of the buffer, you never notice the loss as long as you get the required packets before the buffer runs out.

Voice over IP is in real time. There is no large buffer. If there was, there would be a a huge delay in the conversation, kind of like a walkie talkie. So if the are packets lost, there is no time to resend them, and the voice quality degrades.
bridonca
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Return to Device Configuration Sharing