Calling from Europe

Have a great idea? We'd love to hear it! Want to share the story of how Fongo is saving you money? This is the place to do it!

Calling from Europe

Postby patslater1234 » 06/10/2018

We setup a Fongo number on the iPad app and added world credits prior to heading to Europe.

We are now in Europe and cannot make local calls with the app nor can we call back to Canada.

What are we doing wrong?
patslater1234
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: Fongo Mobile

Re: Calling from Europe

Postby Jake » 06/10/2018

It could be that whatever connection you are connected to is blocking Fongo, so it might be worth checking on another network.

Also, when you are dialling remember that you have to dial as though you are still in Canada. So Ottawa number will still be 613-xxx-xxxx and you will have to dial the international dialling codes for the country you are in, even if it is right next to where you are :) So if you are in the UK you will have to use the 44 international dialling code.

Are you getting any errors from the app?
Jake
Technical Support

Postby patslater1234 » 06/10/2018

Thanks Jake.

So just to confirm. I am in Glasgow and trying to call a mobile number back in Calgary. Since we are calling from Glasgow, this is outside of the Fongo free area, would I be dialing 011-403-816-xxxx? 01 (Canada exit code) + 1 (Canada country code) + 10 digit number? Or do I need to use the UK exit code 00?

Fongo to Fongo works, and inbound from a mobile in Calgary works to Fongo in Glasgow. I don't think it is blocked on the network we are on.

The only error message we receive is a voice message indicating something about "This call is not covered by your tarriff plan".
patslater1234
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: Fongo Mobile

Postby Jake » 06/10/2018

You won't need the exit code. As far as your phone is concerned it thinks it is in Canada.

For this call you would call it just like you are here, which would just be the phone number. You shouldn't even need to use the long distance 1 at the start, so just 403-816-xxxx.

Calgary is in the free calling areas for Fongo, are you sure it's not covered? it should be. If the number you are calling is actually on a Calgary registered exchange, the call should be free no matter where you are in the world.

I would just like to add, the Fongo phone works different to a normal cell phone. No matter where you are in the world it is like you are still at home. So even though you are in Glasgow making calls on your Fongo phone, it's just the same as if you were sat in your living room. Calls TO Glasgow will need a country code, but calls within Canada will be called normally.
Jake
Technical Support

Return to Suggestions & Feedback