Sync messages and call log between devics

Have a great idea? We'd love to hear it! Want to share the story of how Fongo is saving you money? This is the place to do it!

Sync messages and call log between devics

Postby jemelo » 03/19/2019

Hi,
Is it possible to sync messages and call log between devices? Say I have phone and tablet, same Fongo account, but messages and call log don't sync. A message only shows up on the device it was received *first*. If the phone happens to be on and the tablet is offline, the message is only shown on the phone. Even if I turn the tablet on later, the message will not show up in Fongo at all. If both devices are online, the message would show up randomly in one or the other device, I guess it depends on how quick is the connection between the device and the network (it's usually iOS wins here over Android).

The issue is if I receive verification message or any text message I need to read and I left my tablet at home, I can't read it. The messages don't show up on the phone which is with me, they show up on the tablet that was left at home.

This sync was never available (or at least I don't remember it ever worked), so wondering if the reason it doesn't work is because of privacy issues or simply not a feature available with Fongo. If it's not available, it should (or at least be an option).

Thanks.
jemelo
One Hit Wonder

Re: Sync messages and call log between devics

Postby Liptonbrisk » 03/19/2019

jemelo wrote: I guess it depends on how quick is the connection between the device and the network (it's usually iOS wins here over Android).

Note that only one registration per Fongo account is allowed at any time. When there are multiple devices using the same account, only the most recent registration is valid. The previous device will lose registration. Whether you receive incoming calls on a particular device is dependent upon which device registered most recently with Fongo's server. Fongo is a SIP service, and that's how SIP with Fongo works.

Visit https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... e-devices-.

With respect to syncing messages across devices, I suspect your suggestion, if implemented, would be for local sync only over the same LAN. While I may be mistaken, I'm skeptical that Fongo would maintain servers just to store text messages for all of its customers indefinitely.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Postby alexkillby » 04/27/2019

As a slight modification to this post, I would suggest that the app enable back up of settings and messages to any connected storage account like Google Drive as apps like WhatsApp allow you to do. I don't like losing all of my settings and messages if I need to reinstall my app at some point or if I get a new phone.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
alexkillby
Quiet One

SIP Device Name: Google Pixel 2 XL
ISP Name: DSL/LTE

Postby JS_Fongo » 11/22/2021

I absolutely second the note from alexkillby. I just got a new phone and the Samsung smart switch copied just about everything nicely, except Fongo. The fact that NONE of the messages transfer is incredibly inconvenient. Combined with other limitations like the short codes issue and not being able to receive MMS, it's enough that I'm looking at alternative apps to port my number to even though I've been using Fongo for at least 5 years. I guess I lost all of my messages last time I changed devices too, this time it just seems significantly more inconvenient.

As suggestions go, Bluetooth integration for texts and/or Android Auto integration would be nice, so I could speak to send and listen to texts while driving.

My physical device is provided by my employer, I use Fongo to keep my mobile number functional and separate. Since it is saving me the inconvenience of carrying a second physical device and the costs associated with a plan and a second physical device I am willing to pay more for something that works better. Looking through the Suggestions and Feedback forum there hasn't been a lot in the last 2-3 years, nor have I really seen anything update-wise in the app that is particularly useful in the last few years.
JS_Fongo
One Hit Wonder

Postby Liptonbrisk » 11/24/2021

alexkillby wrote:As a slight modification to this post, I would suggest that the app enable back up of settings and messages to any connected storage account like Google Drive

Similarly, on iOS, in iCloud

I feel this suggestion has value, and you can submit it for consideration here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Return to Suggestions & Feedback